Hardtail Talk!!

Strix

Building my first Frame up “hardtailRagley Big AL. Just wanted some feedback from other riders that ride “hardtail’s” What are you riding? What parts do you have on your bike?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice Big AL is great bike

I am big believer in having many bikes lol
But most importantly 1 hardtail 1 full squish
This way I still get to ride the dirt when one is down or pick my weapon for the fight.

Was almost exclusively a SSer for a decade
And my Misfit got me through it all

Recently with less to no demos and wanting a new hardtail I figured buy a couple different frames with a modern geometry that fits our trails. Also wanted something that felt good going from Ibis Ripmo to the said new HT.

First up was the Ti Vassago Radimus which was really supposed to be steel but the delays were long and Ti came in first so that's what was offered. In the mean time I had an order in for the Canfield Nimble 9. So about 300 miles on the Vassago and 6 months wait for N9 it was time to build the N9.

I knew right away Vassago goes and N9 stays. Yes I chose the steel over Ti, geo just felt right and also stopped the search as ESD was next on the hit list. I would like to try a Stanton doe.

I probably ride my Ht:FS. 2:1

20210829_161147.jpg

Misfit
20210611_064533.jpg

N9
20201213_074450.jpg

Vassago

robcleary

I just recently refreshed my Marin Hawk Hill 2010. Got a fresh cable on the dropper and rerouted it to avoid further paint rub (damn external seat-actuated droppers, worst design I swear lol). Also kinda went overkill on the brakes, metallic pads and 203/180 rotors (I just had those rotors laying around in my parts bin, og 160s were resin only). Makes these old Shimano M486's feel like DH brakes lol. Otherwise rocking a 3x to 1x converted Deore 1x9, DHF/Ardent, and a Rockshox Recon Silver TK up front.

Still needs a new saddle and eventually a better drivetrain, but it's my get around town and light trail ride bike so it serves it's purpose.

PXL_20210906_140454673.jpg
IMG_20210906_133423_935.jpg

Strix

Nice Big AL is great bike

I am big believer in having many bikes lol
But most importantly 1 hardtail 1 full squish
This way I still get to ride the dirt when one is down or pick my weapon for the fight.

Was almost exclusively a SSer for a decade
And my Misfit got me through it all

Recently with less to no demos and wanting a new hardtail I figured buy a couple different frames with a modern geometry that fits our trails. Also wanted something that felt good going from Ibis Ripmo to the said new HT.

First up was the Ti Vassago Radimus which was really supposed to be steel but the delays were long and Ti came in first so that's what was offered. In the mean time I had an order in for the Canfield Nimble 9. So about 300 miles on the Vassago and 6 months wait for N9 it was time to build the N9.

I knew right away Vassago goes and N9 stays. Yes I chose the steel over Ti, geo just felt right and also stopped the search as ESD was next on the hit list. I would like to try a Stanton doe.

I probably ride my Ht:FS. 2:1

View attachment 167024
Misfit
View attachment 167025
N9
View attachment 167026
Vassago
Nice! I really wanted the “Orange Crush29” but like most things Out of stock! The Banshee v3 paradox was another one on my list but at the price of $1000 frame only hard for me to justify it. I would love to have two bikes one Hardtail one full suspension for bike park days, but by the time I’m done with this bike I’ll be a few K$$$$ in.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I primarily ride a niner sir. It's Butkinda modern geo. My friend has a nimble9 too and loves it. I'm like Marty fat, I have a fs and hardtail. Mostly ride the niner since I'm down by hartshorne.

If I was a northerner, I'd ride a short travel fs.

Check out hardtail party on YouTube. He reviews them.

If you're comfortable riding the hardtail at most of your local parks get one.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I'm also a big believer in always having a full squish trail bike and a very capable hardtail backup. My HT is a Specialized Pitch bought off this board. It's their entry level bike but @RickVaughn totally tricked it out with nice parts, and I made some tweaks myself. I've taken it everywhere and it's a nice change of pace. Takes me back to my roots.
20201015_113249.jpg

20200922_113311.jpg

20200105_074257.jpg

gpTron

Nukeproof Scout is my only bike. Never tried a full suspension. No real need where I live. I'll ride in Allamuchy when I'm up at my inlaws and it's always a bit of culture shock at first, but ultimately still not much of a problem.

Strix

Yes that how I feel, I just don’t need it. I don’t think I ever will. I’m not looking to progress to that point of needing it. I’m getting old and fragile lol

Johnny Utah

I switched to a Chromag Rootdown last year. It married my Santa Cruz Hightower and Specialized Fatboy, so I stopped riding those and sold them. It is made around a 150-160 fork but I run a 140mm. The frame bag was my favorite upgrade as I can now carry more than one water bottle.
5CF74F05-F979-4069-9687-F860889CAE7D.jpeg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I switched to a Chromag Rootdown last year. It married my Santa Cruz Hightower and Specialized Fatboy, so I stopped riding those and sold them. It is made around a 150-160 fork but I run a 140mm. The frame bag was my favorite upgrade as I can now carry more than one water bottle. View attachment 167101

Do you have a link to that bag I want to see how it attaches to the frame looks stout

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I want to add another thing I do plan on swapping frames to something with sliding dropouts so I can have a SS and geared on one bike. I don't want a fleet of bikes that I end up having to maintain because if one breaks I'll just use the others until they all need maintenance. I have a really beat krampus that is SS but I tow the kid with it

pkovo

I split time on HT, full suspension and a Fatbike. Fatty is technically a hard tail but not sure where that fits in.

My "real" hardtail a Canfield EPO. Built it up basic and reliable....10 speed SLX drivetrain, 140mm DVO diamond up front, and lots of parts I had on hand. Very happy with it's build. Currently searching for new tires. It was set with a light fast tire combo (Ardent Race - Ardent) that are certainly fast, but I hate them. This is my first carbon framed bike. It's stiff and fast but a little punishing. I would probably be better off on a steel frame.

But now that I have a kid that is all in on BMX, my MTB time has been cut down dramatically, so I grabbed and have been riding a different sort of hardtail. A DJ is still technically a hardtail mtb right?

FFC2200F-DB7A-4806-9B8A-E23D8FA5EDF2.jpeg

Its pretty sweet that theres usually a photographer at the track that can make me look cooler than I am 😎

Karate Monkey

I ride the hardtail in winter primarily, now that I have a full suspension. I don't fancy driving a bike with (exaggerating) 5 million bearings down salty, crusty roads all winter. It's set up singlespeed, so I don't need to work about corroded derailleurs or cables.

That said, Stache was super capable, and I rode it from Sterling all the way down to Wiss.

Like @mattybfat , I use the hardtail primarily when the full suspension is down for some reason... But for a place like the Pinelands, I will default to it except for super long days.

Top Bottom