Hardtail possible?

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Anyone have any feedback as to whether or not you can ride a hardtail on the intermed. downhill trails. Im trying to avoid spending $100 on a rental.

thanks

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
NHM said:
Anyone have any feedback as to whether or not you can ride a hardtail on the intermed. downhill trails. Im trying to avoid spending $100 on a rental.

thanks
Years ago I took a rock hopper there and had fun but it was very difficult.

T

Timekiller

I went there a couple weeks ago with a few friends. 2 of us had full susp. and the other two bikes were a Cannondale F300 and a Trek 820. They both had a lot of fun, but we also didn't go on any trails with major drops.

P

phloedix

yeah i was gonna ask the same question actually. i just got an iron horse and its a hardtail. and im into it. so i really didnt wanna rent either. so it there stuff i can ride ?

T

Timekiller

phloedix said:
yeah i was gonna ask the same question actually. i just got an iron horse and its a hardtail. and im into it. so i really didnt wanna rent either. so it there stuff i can ride ?
There is plenty for a HT to ride. Youll have fun, I just wouldn't hit any of the major drops. Besides 90% of the trails have a "go around" for the insane stuff. :cool:

H

Hesh To Steel

The first time I went to Diablo one of the guys in our group was riding a sub-25 lb pure XC hardtail (lefty fork and clipless pedals). Since it was our first time we were all going pretty slowly but he only tipped over once (in a rock garden). If you stay away from the really gnarly rocks and drops you'll probably be fine.

yuroshek

it really depends on your riding ablity. i rode there all season on a full DH rig. and ill prob bring my hardtail this year. it will be fun on most trails.

DownhillR3

You guys that take hardtails up there... kudo's to you. I think i'll stick to my Downhill bikes. But to answer your question, I agree with everyone else, Diablo is possible on a hardtail.

pinkshirtphotos

i did a whole season on a hardtail, the bike was built with all xc parts and i rode the piss out of it... really made me a better rider... few days i wished i had a full sus but after riding a sunday for a season i would go back to a hardtail.... diablo is becoming overgroomed.

liong71er

i rode hardtail since 1988, i just set up my ride with 140 mm travel fork, loves them n it riping any downhill trail...its great.

Ian F

I did a hardtail class race there years ago... '99 or '00... the trail off the back-side (entry directly accross the clearing from the lift) is fun on a HT, a bit technical. There are some steep roll-ins at the end of the top section, but quite doable on a HT.

If you're not used to riding flats, ride with plat-form clips... as some of the fireroad sections can bounce you right off the bike.

Ironjunk

Hell yeah it's possible...

The hardest trails are the ones that are fast and rocky...slower and rocky and techy is ok. It kills my hands more than my legs.

I have a 48lb FS and prefer the 10lbs lighter HT for pretty much everything.

Don't have the balls to hit last years new drop

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions