Hardtail possible?

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
Anyone have any feedback as to whether or not you can ride a hardtail on the intermed. downhill trails. Im trying to avoid spending $100 on a rental.

thanks

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
NHM said:
Anyone have any feedback as to whether or not you can ride a hardtail on the intermed. downhill trails. Im trying to avoid spending $100 on a rental.

thanks

Years ago I took a rock hopper there and had fun but it was very difficult.

T

Timekiller

I went there a couple weeks ago with a few friends. 2 of us had full susp. and the other two bikes were a Cannondale F300 and a Trek 820. They both had a lot of fun, but we also didn't go on any trails with major drops.

P

phloedix

yeah i was gonna ask the same question actually. i just got an iron horse and its a hardtail. and im into it. so i really didnt wanna rent either. so it there stuff i can ride ?

T

Timekiller

phloedix said:
yeah i was gonna ask the same question actually. i just got an iron horse and its a hardtail. and im into it. so i really didnt wanna rent either. so it there stuff i can ride ?

There is plenty for a HT to ride. Youll have fun, I just wouldn't hit any of the major drops. Besides 90% of the trails have a "go around" for the insane stuff. :cool:

H

Hesh To Steel

The first time I went to Diablo one of the guys in our group was riding a sub-25 lb pure XC hardtail (lefty fork and clipless pedals). Since it was our first time we were all going pretty slowly but he only tipped over once (in a rock garden). If you stay away from the really gnarly rocks and drops you'll probably be fine.

yuroshek

it really depends on your riding ablity. i rode there all season on a full DH rig. and ill prob bring my hardtail this year. it will be fun on most trails.

DownhillR3

You guys that take hardtails up there... kudo's to you. I think i'll stick to my Downhill bikes. But to answer your question, I agree with everyone else, Diablo is possible on a hardtail.

pinkshirtphotos

i did a whole season on a hardtail, the bike was built with all xc parts and i rode the piss out of it... really made me a better rider... few days i wished i had a full sus but after riding a sunday for a season i would go back to a hardtail.... diablo is becoming overgroomed.

liong71er

i rode hardtail since 1988, i just set up my ride with 140 mm travel fork, loves them n it riping any downhill trail...its great.

Ian F

I did a hardtail class race there years ago... '99 or '00... the trail off the back-side (entry directly accross the clearing from the lift) is fun on a HT, a bit technical. There are some steep roll-ins at the end of the top section, but quite doable on a HT.

If you're not used to riding flats, ride with plat-form clips... as some of the fireroad sections can bounce you right off the bike.

Ironjunk

IMG_2107.jpg

yeah it's possible...

The hardest trails are the ones that are fast and rocky...slower and rocky and techy is ok. It kills my hands more than my legs.

I have a 48lb FS and prefer the 10lbs lighter HT for pretty much everything.

Don't have the balls to hit last years new drop

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions