Hamstrings.

Ironjunk

Anyone feel like they have puny hamstrings. Mine cramp easily and feel like they are going to rip apart with any strain. They have always felt like they've had knots.

Are their any good workouts or tips?

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Anyone feel like they have puny hamstrings. Might cramp and feel like they are going to rip apart with any strain. They have always felt like they've had knots.

Any strength workouts really. I was a stand and mash guy until I got hurt at the 2018 Iron Furnace. I was forced to ride seated for quite a while. My road bike strength increased a lot because I had built up my hamstrings. Running helps a lot too. Try doing some seated intervals on a hill or on the trainer.

BPaze

+1 on the stretching, not just hammies but include glutes, back, hip flexors etc… for exercise KB swings and or deadlifts.
This right here KB stretching and deads are prob best. I used to love/hate my straight leg single deads with the KB. it stretches them good and really builds pulling strength

Last edited:

serviceguy

Taylorhamstrings dont exist
giphy.gif

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
There is a chance it is your hip flexors that are causing much of the strain. If the tightness is lower hamstring close to behind the knee, hip flexor is probably it. It is an awkward muscle to stretch but if a common cycling over use

Ironjunk

There is a chance it is your hip flexors that are causing much of the strain. If the tightness is lower hamstring close to behind the knee, hip flexor is probably it. It is an awkward muscle to stretch but if a common cycling over use
When I was at my peak 4 years ago I was in the running to get top places in one and two minute segments in strava then I switched over to endurance rides got dehydrated and pushed a 4 hour ride too hard and it has been bugging me since

Just yesterday I had my strongest ride in months maybe years and the bottom inside stringy bit hurts just above my right knee. I can feel knots. I will try more isolated strength exercises and stretching

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
When I was at my peak 4 years ago I was in the running to get top places in one and two minute segments in strava then I switched over to endurance rides got dehydrated and pushed a 4 hour ride too hard and it has been bugging me since

Just yesterday I had my strongest ride in months maybe years and the bottom inside stringy bit hurts just above my right knee. I can feel knots. I will try more isolated strength exercises and stretching
This sounds ridiculous;
Stand with feet hip width apart, squat down slightly and rotate your Pelvis in a thrusting motion (yes, that Thrusting motion) and hold it at the front of the thrust. It may provide instant relief to the back of your knee. Hold for 5-10 seconds and repeat.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Anyone feel like they have puny hamstrings. Mine cramp easily and feel like they are going to rip apart with any strain. They have always felt like they've had knots.

Cramping generally has nothing to with strength but overstepping your lactate threshold too frequently. Whether your legs are tree trunks or twigs, the same cramps will exist.

Ironjunk

Yes I am starting deep lunges again. Pigeon pose helped me a lot in the past. I saw a video about using an exercise ball to use your back muscles to lift your legs laying on it, it seemed like a good one for posterior everything.
Cramping generally has nothing to with strength but overstepping your lactate threshold too frequently. Whether your legs are tree trunks or twigs, the same cramps will exist.
I was doing some hamstring pulls curls my exercise bands and I felt my hams starting to yank. Could have been after a ride I forget.

Last edited:

Ironjunk

This sounds ridiculous;
Stand with feet hip width apart, squat down slightly and rotate your Pelvis in a thrusting motion (yes, that Thrusting motion) and hold it at the front of the thrust. It may provide instant relief to the back of your knee. Hold for 5-10 seconds and repeat.
Wife already said wtf are you doing

The Kalmyk

I was doing some hamstring pulls curls my exercise bands and I felt my hams starting to yank. Could have been after a ride I forget.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I never found that movement to be applicable in real life. If you have access to a straight bar, try Romanian dead lifts. The body position it puts you in can also be used to stretch your hamstrings at the bottom of the lift.

Ironjunk

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I never found that movement to be applicable in real life. If you have access to a straight bar, try Romanian dead lifts. The body position it puts you in can also be used to stretch your hamstrings at the bottom of the lift.
Yeah some movements feel like they put strain on you in unnatural ways. Like triceps exercises, they cramp similar to hamstrings when I'm too aggressive.

The pelvic twisting stretch has helped a lot

The Kalmyk

Yeah some movements feel like they put strain on you in unnatural ways. Like triceps exercises, they cramp similar to hamstrings when I'm too aggressive.

No doubt. I leave the isometric stuff alone unless there is an injury and i need to strength a specific area. I can get mire bang for my buck doing functional movements and it saves time.

Top Bottom