Hamstrings.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Or you can always just touch your toes before bed every night. Not every problem requires an overly complex solution.

iman29

I had hamstring problems in my early days of cycling back when I was overweight and had no ideas or concepts of recovery.

After my very first charity ride there were free massage therapists so I got a massage and she recommended a foam roller (softer smooth one to start).

It’s been a game changer and that was 10 years ago. Eventually I moved up to a more dense roller but I watched some videos and used the softer one to learn the proper technique. It’s not always convenient to do the roller after a ride but even later in the day or next day is fine too. Even on non ride days I try to stretch not just hammys but legs, hips back etc. I also have issues with the IT band (outside along thighs) and this Also helps keep it loose.

You mentioned pigeon pose this is great for the piriformis muscle ( think butt cheek) but is not easy to loosen up.

Generally speaking avoid isolated stretches if you can, the foam roller and yoga type moves seem to really help with maintenance. The challenge is staying consistent.

goldsbar

Yes I am starting deep lunges again. Pigeon pose helped me a lot in the past. I saw a video about using an exercise ball to use your back muscles to lift your legs laying on it, it seemed like a good one for posterior everything.

I was doing some hamstring pulls curls my exercise bands and I felt my hams starting to yank. Could have been after a ride I forget.
Google Valslide leg curls. Valslides/knockoff sliders are cheap and the exercise is difficult enough to give you a true hamstring and glute workout. Can't hurt to have somewhat stronger hamstrings, though it's not necessarily the answer for issues in an endurance sport.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If only it were as easy as stretching the thing that hurts.

Well, it can be. Not a guarantee but it’s something you need to be religious about. Like brushing teeth.

But if you break a bone, don’t stretch that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is my experience- YMMV.

The thing about stretching (or using a foam roller) is that the results are not as quick as you want. Results take time.
Also, they both (especially foam rolling) can hurt like a mofo, especially with a really firm one.
I started with a super soft foam roller and worked my way to a firm roller over a course of months.
I think of stretching and rolling as daily maintenance. I try to do them everyday and when I do I feel better. When I slack, I feel that as well. It’s all part of getting older.

iman29

The thing about stretching (or using a foam roller) is that the results are not as quick as you want. Results take time.
Also, they both (especially foam rolling) can hurt like a mofo, especially with a really firm one.
I started with a super soft foam roller and worked my way to a firm roller over a course of months.
I think of stretching and rolling as daily maintenance. I try to do them everyday and when I do I feel better. When I slack, I feel that as well. It’s all part of getting older.
This 100%.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not stretching isn't gonna make my hamstrings fall out though.

Let’s talk again when you’re as old as I am now. Jeremy basically summed it all up. But really for me it’s not the ham bone, it’s the back bone. YMMV.

pkovo

I tend to get lower hamstring pain right above the knee if I run my seat too high, but if I run my seat a touch lower than what would be considered the ideal height for pedaling, they hardly bother me....so I do that rather than chase the underlying issue. Probably not the best approach, but might provide some relief while you try to sort the root cause.

The Kalmyk

Or you can pay for Rolfing and get there quick

Ironjunk

Pro tip : stretch hamstrings while brushing your teeth.
To be honest i do that thrust stretch when i brush my teeth then i go over to the stairs and do calf dips and raises as i brush

I started doing this stretch where i lay on the end of the bed put my foam roller under my butt and hold my knee over me and let the other leg hang down for a deep hip flexor stretch.

Whatever problem i had seems better now.

The Kalmyk

To be honest i do that thrust stretch when i brush my teeth then i go over to the stairs and do calf dips and raises as i brush

I started doing this stretch where i lay on the end of the bed put my foam roller under my butt and hold my knee over me and let the other leg hang down for a deep hip flexor stretch.

Whatever problem i had seems better now.

Stretching and strengthening are mutually exclusive in my book (pnf stretching). Contract and stretch simultaneously the targeted muscle is betterer than just elongating yourself. Especially with a hamstring that is working so closely with a very large muscle like the quad.

Last edited:

one piece crank

Stretching and strengthening are mutually exclusive in my book (pnf stretching). Contract and stretch simultaneously the targeted muscle is betterer than just elongating yourself. Especially with a hamstring that is working in unison with a very large muscle like the quad.
HS Track Coach always suggested balancing your hill training, with equal running downhill. 👍

Ironjunk

Went out for about an hour no hamstring pain a little top front of knee pain right in the middle feels like quad tendon can't mash yet.

Bolt says 300w average and 345w NP for 80 minutes. Feels good to get back.

Ironjunk

I can feel the hamstring curls working because they are smoothing out my pedal stroke while saving quads for sprints and hills. I never used resistance exercises for hamstring but I think it would be good to look into if you never did. Same course 306 average 348np and 18.7mph average

Top Bottom