Hamburg Mountain WMA

NJMX835

Anyone ridden there?

Any good?

I lived 1/2 mile from there for two years & haven't ridden it yet, but I'm thinking of trying it out this week (if it's worth it) any loop recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SpartaBard

You probably will not find any single track, it would mainly be quad trails. This is the case with most WMAs.

I have not explored that far north, but have poked around Sparta Mountain WMA, nothing much worth writing about regarding fun riding. If you are looking to cruise around for the sights and wildlife and don't mind washed out quad trails then go for it.

NJMX835

Thanks guys, I figured it would be alot of fireroad & double tracks, but some double tracks can be winners, so I guess we'll see.

I'll ask TRAILHEAD as well & will post up here after I ride there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Helpful.

I seem to remember Sean saying something about WMAs and as long as you don't do x-y-z then something something. Don't remember the details and the search feature sucks.

SpartaBard

Helpful.

I seem to remember Sean saying something about WMAs and as long as you don't do x-y-z then something something. Don't remember the details and the search feature sucks.

As you said, Trailhead would know more since he is the JORBA WMA guy. He will be at our TM session tomorrow so I will try to remember to bring it up with him.

Shaggz

A strong 7
WMAs - I'm not sure why I am wasting bandwidth because I will probably get it all wrong, but... The "Other" Norm mentioned that there are not a lot of restrictions in the WMAs with respect to MTB access, with the exception of them specifically specifically staing "No Races". I believe they are amenable to new trails and re-routes, but they must be reviewed by DEP (and Fish & Wildlife?) to make sure they are not impacting any sensitive habitats or whatever. According to Norm, this can take a looooooooong time.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Diablo used to maintain some XC trails that I believe went into the Hamburg WMA...

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
What Shaggz stated below is correct. I have plans submitted for a re-route in Wildcat but it is momentarily held up by an "endangered species " review. That is ok though, it will get done.

I only explored Hamburg Mtn once and all the trails were the ORV type. I have heard from others that you can start on Rt23, cross 565 and continue on into Wawa so I think it is possible for an epic from Mahlon to Wawa.

WMAs - I'm not sure why I am wasting bandwidth because I will probably get it all wrong, but... The "Other" Norm mentioned that there are not a lot of restrictions in the WMAs with respect to MTB access, with the exception of them specifically specifically staing "No Races". I believe they are amenable to new trails and re-routes, but they must be reviewed by DEP (and Fish & Wildlife?) to make sure they are not impacting any sensitive habitats or whatever. According to Norm, this can take a looooooooong time.

NJMX835

There is a trailhead on Rt 23 in Hamburg & one near where 638 meets 515, once you cross 515 you can hop on the gasline & ride it right into Wawayanda

Top Bottom