Halters Rocks!!!

M

markfi

I wanted a new bike for a few reasons, the main one being that my lower back was killing me and after reading this forum decided to give Halters a try. I went in and Jason (I didnt know it at the time but he was the owner) asked me what he could do for me. After telling him that I had a bad back, probably wanted a hybrid with adjustable handlebars, and gave him my price range he went to work. He told me he wasnt crazy about adjustable handlebars and that before anything else he wanted to figure out was most comfortable and supportive of my back. After letting me test ride a few bikes and not being completely comfortable on them with my back he came up with an idea. He took a cross-bike that had road bike handle bars (sorry i dont know terminology) and put a straight bar on it that is usually used on a cruiser. I wasnt allowed to take it out because in order to switch out the handlebars all the brake cables would have had to be changed so I was he hooked it up to some contraption that allows you to ride the bike in place. I liked it a lot but the bike was twice what my price range was so I wanted to sleep on it.

When I came in the next day to see if I could get a similar bike but cheaper, Jason immediately helped me event though the store was busy. I told him the bike might be a little too expensive for me and he started racking his brain again for ideas on what he could do for me - showing me several things on the internet. He still had the bike with the switched out handlebars (which one of his employees referred to as the monster) and despite being an insurance nightmare by letting me ride the bike outside in the parking lot(he tied up the the road bike handlebars with the brake and brake cables to the cruiser handlebars) he wanted to please me. I rode the bike and loved it and I asked Jason if he could do all the modifications that day for me and without hesitation he said yes.

All and all I am very happy with my purchase despite going way over of my budget - I absolutely love the bike (or the monster as it is so affectionately referred to) and the only regret I have is I didnt find Halters sooner. At no point did I feel pressured to buy this bike and Jason's main concern was that I feel comfortable. I greatly appreciate the innovative and passionate approach Jason gave to my situation and in finding me the right bike. I highly recommend Jason at Halters to anyone.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Double Thanks

This was a fun bike to build up.

Basically it is a TCX Zero with a 130 degree rise stem and Mary Barys. I ran 9 speed gripshift and old school non v-brake levers as well.

It is light, nimble and really upright. It is the fastest thing that I could imagine with the postion needed to get his back happy.

This is the kind of stuff that makes my job worth while. I can't say enough how rewarding it is to help someone ride when they feel like they can not because of phyisical limitations.

Thanks for giving me the chance to build you a MONSTER!

J-

olegbabich

J,
What about costumer safety? You let them ride bikes with no brakes. What’s next, riding with no handlebars and blindfolded?

Wobbegong

Halters always goes above and beyond. Its nice to hear you found a set up that works for you. Sounds like a nice ride. Enjoy your new bike.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
J,
What about costumer safety? You let them ride bikes with no brakes. What’s next, riding with no handlebars and blindfolded?
Dude, did you even read the entire post by markfi? Here's a quote from the his post "(he tied up the the road bike handlebars with the brake and brake cables to the cruiser handlebars)". Sounds to me like he had brakes when he took that test ride but I could be wrong.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
There were brakes on there. Oleg was refering to his Niner. When i built it I had him ride it w/o brakes to work on the position. I like to cut the brake lines as short as I can. I didn't want to bleed them twice.

j-

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oleg was just starting trouble. These Ruskies are cagey like that.

Top Bottom