Halter's Cycles and North Carolina

Tonebuckets

Hello all!! Greetings from North Carolina. It's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I check the site out every once in a while to see what's goin on. :)

Anyway, after living in a lot of different areas, gone through a whole host of bike shops, and having many different experiences with all of them, I felt impelled to post regarding one of your local bike shops, Halter's Cycles. For those of you who know Halter's Cycles, what I have to say should not be anything new to you, so you can just shout out your amen whenever you feel, but for those of you who don't, I suggest you listen.

You guys have one of the best bike shops around, if not THE best. Like I said, I've been all over, and have dealt with a lot of shops and owners,... J, Chris and the rest of the crew are doing something really special over there. They usually always have what you need, have great selection, are always willing to help (no matter how big or small you're question/problem is), don't nickel and dime you, offer great deals and discounts, and most of all are just really great guys. They host rides, head up trail maintenance, sponsor teams, write posts about bike maintenance/trail conditions/tech tips...you name it, they do it. And if they don't, I'm sure they're all ears for new ideas.

Why am I writing all this you ask? Cause I'm sick and tired of dealing with bike shops. More specifically, I had a frame issue with my Cannondale that was still under warranty. I decided to use one of the local Cannondale dealers to help me handle it, and I have regretted it ever since. Every step of the process has been like pulling teeth. There's no love, none. I could go into more details about all this bullshit but that would just bore you, so you'll have to take my word for it. I'm just some yankee to them I guess.

Now, as a business person I completely understand that shops need to make money, and especially in that industry it's really hard. The majority of these shops don't make a lot, it's a labor love for many of them. And I sympathize with them all. But then I step back and look at those that are successful at it and they all seem to have the same recipe. They understand that it's about the customer. Take care of the customer in any way you can, little ways or big, and the customer will come back to you time and time again. Jason does that. Does he have the room to blow me away with every purchase I make? Of course not. But I never leave there feeling I got ripped off. How many of us have felt that dealing with other shops? If anything, I walk out of there with a big fat smile knowing I was taken care of, one way or another. How many of you have left bike shops feeling nothing for that shop? Feeling like you'll think twice about going back there, or purchasing you're next bike from there.

I'm in North Carolina now, 11 hours away by car, and I still try to buy everything I can from them. If anything, just to give him the business.

I don't know about you, but I found my bike shop. Have you found yours?

Tony :getsome:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you know, there's a really good joke in there about that message NOT being paid for by "the friends of jason of halters cycles" but you're dead on. jay is a great guy, the shop has a unreal following (to the point that some folks that literally live almost two hours away drive past other shops up here to get there) and he actually cares. i know the shops are into to put food on the table, pay the mortgage, etc. but they don't have to make you, the customer, feel that way.

that's why jay is on our jerseys and hopefully will be for a long, long time to come.

jay, as discussed, you can forward that niner frame to my house. :D

B

bubuli

Yes, they are the best. I'm glad I live less than 10 miles from them. :D

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Halters for el presidente

f bike shops, there are waves coming, close the doors damn it!

dualfisted

jdog has a shop????

I thought he just sat around all day and created cool avatars for his mtbnj account. Horse berms rule!!!!!!

BiknBen

I thought he just sat around all day and created cool avatars for his mtbnj account. Horse berms rule!!!!!!

Wait a second...I created his avatar. :mad2:

I've got the original:
berm.jpg

Last edited:

dualfisted

sorry

Wait a second...I created his avatar. :mad2:

I've got the original:
berm.jpg

Didn't know u created that, haha. I love that diagram. Was that developed in relation to that berm in Allaire after a TM date???? I think it's hilarious. When I go around that berm I alway say "horse berm!!!" even if I'm riding solo.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I bought my first Cannondale there well over 10 years ago (maybe 15?) but I don't remember who sold it to me though. I just remember him being rather thin and tall... if that helps at all.

BiknBen

I bought my first Cannondale there well over 10 years ago (maybe 15?) but I don't remember who sold it to me though. I just remember him being rather thin and tall... if that helps at all.

And Bald??? That would have been Dave Halter.

Last edited:

liong71er

my experience with the shop is way different from what you guys has described.
it's the opposite way(thats maybe b/c i'm yellow:))
especially with that skinny young man(not jay):mad:

Top Bottom