GX AXS Lives!

Ian F

PXL_20210501_003107232~2.jpg

The shifter seems to integrate well with a Shimano brake lever. At least with how I have my levers set - where I can just get my index finger on the end of the lever.

Otherwise, it feels fairly intuitive. I can downshift with my thumb on the paddle and upshift with my index finger on the forward edge of the paddle.

Edit: It set up easily with the Shimano cassette and chain. The only catch was I wasn't able to use the little included setup tool you're supposed to use to set the B-tension screw. The tool wouldn't "click" in between the chain and the cassette per the instructions. Otherwise it seems to shift fine. Honestly, the setup was amazing. Shifting perfectly right out of the box. After 3 decades of fiddling with cable tension and limit screws to get the initial shifts to feel good, this feels like cheating.

First ride tomorrow...

Last edited:

Ian F

First dirt ride in the books. Basically - nothing to report. It just works. No crunching. No skipping. Just push the paddle and the gear desired is selected. The Shimano 12 spd cassette and chain worked fine. I still need to pair it to the app on my phone so I can fiddle with shifter options. Right now it's just "one click = one gear" and holding the paddle doesn't do anything. I'd like to try setting it so that holding the paddle selects maybe 3 gears? I think the app can do that.

Personally, I found the shifter ergonomics fine as well, but I am coming from many years of Shimano shifters. The AXS shifter feels pretty much the same, just with zero effort. Thumb on the paddle to go into lower gears, index finger on the paddle to go into higher gears. Maybe those who don't like the shifter are coming from SRAM trigger shifters? I know from experience that while similar to Shimano trigger shifters, the ergonomics are just different enough to bug me.

So GX AXS get a :thumbsup: from me. I'll install the second set on the Chameleon (hopefully) tomorrow (which looks like it'll be a perfect day for a reasonably long road ride, so no dirt).

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First dirt ride in the books. Basically - nothing to report. It just works. No crunching. No skipping. Just push the paddle and the gear desired is selected. The Shimano 12 spd cassette and chain worked fine. I still need to pair it to the app on my phone so I can fiddle with shifter options. Right now it's just "one click = one gear" and holding the paddle doesn't do anything. I'd like to try setting it so that holding the paddle selects maybe 3 gears? I think the app can do that.

Personally, I found the shifter ergonomics fine as well, but I am coming from many years of Shimano shifters. The AXS shifter feels pretty much the same, just with zero effort. Thumb on the paddle to go into lower gears, index finger on the paddle to go into higher gears. Maybe those who don't like the shifter are coming from SRAM trigger shifters? I know from experience that while similar to Shimano trigger shifters, the ergonomics are just different enough to bug me.

So GX AXS get a :thumbsup: from me. I'll install the second set on the Chameleon (hopefully) tomorrow (which looks like it'll be a perfect day for a reasonably long road ride, so no dirt).
still good to go here with the Shimano cassette/chain mixed with GX AXS?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

yes. I did this on my Orbea and it is perfect.

I did misalign the b screw because the Shimano cassette is bigger than the AXS so I had to give it more space than the tool told me. Or I didn’t factor in the sag. Either way once Utah made the adjustment it was fine.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You also need to set the micro trim in the center cog instead of #2 when using the Shimano cassette. The Shimano cassette is wider by like 2mm.

Ian F

Yep. I've done a few rides on it now including a pretty rocky ride at Rattling Creek a few weeks ago. Never missed a beat (or shift).

I'm not sure what Jim means by the micro trim. I literally just bolted the derailleurs onto the bikes, set the chain length, then the b-tension, paired the shifters and they shifted perfectly. Set the limit screws after running up and down the cassette a couple of times. Setting the b-tension was a little fiddly but otherwise these were by the easiest drivetrains I've ever installed in nearly 40 years of wrenching on my bikes.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I fumbled around with the standard controller paddle for a couple weeks. Reversing the controls helped a little but I still had to consciously think about which way I was shifting or I would mis-shift. Anyway, I ordered the the “upgrade” rocker paddle that more closely resembles a mechanical shifter and a left hand matchmaker (thanks for the pro tip @jimvreeland ) and all is right in the world once again.

Mathers

I fumbled around with the standard controller paddle for a couple weeks. Reversing the controls helped a little but I still had to consciously think about which way I was shifting or I would mis-shift. Anyway, I ordered the the “upgrade” rocker paddle that more closely resembles a mechanical shifter and a left hand matchmaker (thanks for the pro tip @jimvreeland ) and all is right in the world once again.
What’s the left hand match maker do for you ? Didn’t see Jim’s post.
jusy got mine in today.

Attachments

• A9DDF8EB-0530-45E6-9328-81332AFB350C.jpeg
    A9DDF8EB-0530-45E6-9328-81332AFB350C.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 59

Ian F

Interesting.... are you coming from Shimano or SRAM shifters? After decades of Shimano shifters, the AXS paddles work identical (see my post from the begging of May).

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Interesting.... are you coming from Shimano or SRAM shifters? After decades of Shimano shifters, the AXS paddles work identical (see my post from the begging of May).

I've used both Shimano and SRAM in the past but most recently SRAM. Even when using Shimano I always shifted both directions with my thumb.

Cassinonorth

Was regretting not going with the rocker paddle but just saw the kit to change it over is only $20. Pretty sure I'll do that sooner than later.

Reactions: Tim

Ian F

I've used both Shimano and SRAM in the past but most recently SRAM. Even when using Shimano I always shifted both directions with my thumb.
Oddly enough, I only recently learned you can use your thumb on the upshift trigger on newer Shimano shifters. The original Rapidfire Plus shifters were trigger/pull-only (usually) with your index finger. So after some 25+ years of shifting that way, that's what I'm used to. The standard AXS shifters work the same way for me.

Reactions: Tim

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I bought the updated shift paddle. But after using it I went back to the supplied shifter. I’m used to it now and have no issues.

It’s not the best and if/when they sell a push button blip box with some cool grip integration, I’ll be interested. Till then it’s fine.

If I did it all over I’d probably just get the mechanical XX1 group and AXS dropper. No derailleur cable is cool but not a big deal. The electric shifting is nice but so is the XX1 mechanical.

Not having to internally route a dropper cable is amazing. And so far the AXS dropper has been very reliable.

Cassinonorth

I bought the updated shift paddle. But after using it I went back to the supplied shifter. I’m used to it now and have no issues.

It’s not the best and if/when they sell a push button blip box with some cool grip integration, I’ll be interested. Till then it’s fine.

If I did it all over I’d probably just get the mechanical XX1 group and AXS dropper. No derailleur cable is cool but not a big deal. The electric shifting is nice but so is the XX1 mechanical.

Not having to internally route a dropper cable is amazing. And so far the AXS dropper has been very reliable.

Did you return the paddle or are you looking to sell that?

Top Bottom