GX AXS Lives!

xc62701

I got my bike back yesterday from Marty’s with the new GX AXS upgrade kit on it and if it’s anything like my electronic group on my gravel bike, it’s a game changer. So far after noodling around a little bit it’s fast, crisp, and 👍🏻. I’ll put some heavy trail miles on it and see how it goes but I’m excited to have this on my trail bike. Let’s see how it hold up after I drop it on the rocks a few times.
0EE1139A-C3D9-4E17-8026-67A2822E8C05.jpeg
049A624F-57C3-4E1D-83E4-FDFC4E994E5C.jpeg
59DBBD54-BA4F-4D34-BF68-A0DDBBA77755.jpeg

goldsbar

Just installed the upgrade kit. Really easy. Hardest part was pulling the old cable housing out of the frame. The new b-screw adjustment plastic tool was a headscratcher at first, but it's much easier to use now that I figured it out. Bonus - for $600 you get a portable multitool included.

goldsbar

I did an experiment for all of you thinking about upgrading to AXS. First time using I banged a rock fairly hard that I previously passed successfully around 20 times. Can confirm that the crash release feature works very well.

Not a huge fan of the shifter yet. I attached it directly to the brake like the previous shifter. It's somehow much more intrusive. Need to work on that.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I did an experiment for all of you thinking about upgrading to AXS. First time using I banged a rock fairly hard that I previously passed successfully around 20 times. Can confirm that the crash release feature works very well.
Matchmaker mount is much better
Not a huge fun of the shifter yet. I attached it directly to the brake like the previous shifter. It's somehow much more intrusive. Need to work on that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not a huge fun of the shifter yet. I attached it directly to the brake like the previous shifter. It's somehow much more intrusive. Need to work on that.

the shifters suck. I got the upgraded paddle to which is supposed to feel like the old style but there is still issues with positioning. Hopefully they figure something out.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the shifters suck. I got the upgraded paddle to which is supposed to feel like the old style but there is still issues with positioning. Hopefully they figure something out.

Maybe they'll come out with a premium version next year that has a usable shifter and an even nicer multitool for $1000.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Maybe they'll come out with a premium version next year that has a usable shifter and an even nicer multitool for $1000.

Testing said option now. The new AXS multi-tool is sick. New B Gap tool comes in Oil Slick. Shifter still eats ass, but if you run the reverse matchmaker you can move it way inward so it doesn't matter.

xc62701

Not a huge fan of the shifter yet. I attached it directly to the brake like the previous shifter. It's somehow much more intrusive. Need to work on that.

I agree. Mine took a little bit to get it into a better position and it's getting more comfortable.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Would using a clamp instead of the matchmaker help with positioning?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Would using a clamp instead of the matchmaker help with positioning?

I’ve tried them all. They all kinda suck in their own sucky way.
Plus I use XTR brakes because I’m still scarred from my Juicy 5s from 10 years ago.....And they do not play nice with the Shimano lever or clamp.

EDIT added a picture. And I can’t put the shifter between the brake and grip because then the paddle is halfway across the grip and the lever is hard to reach.

A018247E-2CF8-4318-BC9A-8BF88CE9960B.jpeg

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I’ve tried them all. They all kinda suck in their own sucky way.
Plus I use XTR brakes because I’m still scarred from my Juicy 5s from 10 years ago.....And they do not play nice with the Shimano lever or clamp.
lol, juicy's. Last year I switched to XT's after the guides locked up from heat expansion (for the 100th time). the latest ispec will work with matchmaker.

Top Bottom