GT350R Carbon Fiber Wheel Info

qclabrat

Sea sucker. Two plus bikes.

I dunno. $50k for a track focused car that needs a rear differential break every few laps.

$50k is used Maserati GranTurismo money with a Ferrari engine. Good god I want that car.
Doesn't the cost of maintenance of anything needing Ferrari oil scare you?
I love the car as well and the engine sounds fabulously Italian, but the thought of any major expenses makes it hard to consider.
Have you compared the difference in major work between it and a 911? Notice there are now CPOs available, is that new?

THATmanMANNY

from what i gather from the interwebs, the oil and other fluids is very much DIY. If anything within the engine needs repair then thays another story but I’m sure like any car with a good following there is a guy someone knows that is able and willing for less than dealer.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Doesn't the cost of maintenance of anything needing Ferrari oil scare you?
I love the car as well and the engine sounds fabulously Italian, but the thought of any major expenses makes it hard to consider.
Have you compared the difference in major work between it and a 911? Notice there are now CPOs available, is that new?

Alfa Quadrifoglio. Ferrari engine, but in a better car than the Ratti.

Can’t compare either to a 911. The 911 is over-engineered and bullet-proof compared to the Italians.

mfennell

from what i gather from the interwebs, the oil and other fluids is very much DIY. If anything within the engine needs repair then thays another story but I’m sure like any car with a good following there is a guy someone knows that is able and willing for less than dealer.
The interwebs also claim the GranTurismos are really solid cars overall. I thought there was a chance I might convince my wife to get a used 'vert after she went nuts when one cruised by us in traffic but it's a really big car and she hates that (she's been driving the same E30 BMW for nearly 20 years).

One issue with any Maserati/Ferrari product is that there will be some things than can only be done with a dealer computer. Nobody makes a consumer-level aftermarket equivalent like Durametric does for Porsche.

It's really easy to talk yourself out of buying a car like the GranTurismo but as long as someone can afford the worst case (boom!) why go through life being the I-really-wanted-a-Maserati-but-Porsches-are-more-reliable guy? I've had my 360 for 8 years and its still my favorite car ever. I've spent a bunch of money on it but probably no more than I would have lost in depreciation if I had bought a similarly-priced (and considerably faster!) new Z06 at the time.

Monkey Soup said:
Alfa Quadrifoglio. Ferrari engine, but in a better car than the Ratti.

At the risk of being pedantic, the Alfa has a "Ferrari-derived" engine, whatever that means. The Maserati has an actual Ferrari engine, built by Ferrari, variations of which were used in the F430, 458, and California.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
The interwebs also claim the GranTurismos are really solid cars overall. I thought there was a chance I might convince my wife to get a used 'vert after she went nuts when one cruised by us in traffic but it's a really big car and she hates that (she's been driving the same E30 BMW for nearly 20 years).

One issue with any Maserati/Ferrari product is that there will be some things than can only be done with a dealer computer. Nobody makes a consumer-level aftermarket equivalent like Durametric does for Porsche.

It's really easy to talk yourself out of buying a car like the GranTurismo but as long as someone can afford the worst case (boom!) why go through life being the I-really-wanted-a-Maserati-but-Porsches-are-more-reliable guy? I've had my 360 for 8 years and its still my favorite car ever. I've spent a bunch of money on it but probably no more than I would have lost in depreciation if I had bought a similarly-priced (and considerably faster!) new Z06 at the time.

At the risk of being pedantic, the Alfa has a "Ferrari-derived" engine, whatever that means. The Maserati has an actual Ferrari engine, built by Ferrari, variations of which were used in the F430, 458, and California.

The motor in the Alfa is basically the Ferrari V8 minus 2 cylinders. Given that they’re both part of Fiat group, it’s not really that far of a stretch.

If budget weren’t an issue, it would be Ferrari all day long, however even with an older one you have to pony up for those dry-sump oil changes and short-interval valve adjustments. The dirty truth is also that a late model 911 (even a Cayman) is a better performer than a 360, California, or any Ratti, and that flat 6 sounds pretty damn good. The motor is also pretty bullet proof, just synthetic every 5k that you could do yourself, or let your mechanic down the street have at it. It’s a car you can actually daily.

mfennell

The dirty truth is also that a late model 911 (even a Cayman) is a better performer than a 360, California, or any Ratti, and that flat 6 sounds pretty damn good. The motor is also pretty bullet proof, just synthetic every 5k that you could do yourself, or let your mechanic down the street have at it. It’s a car you can actually daily.
Sure, those cars are measurably better and more logical choices (I really like 6 cylinder Caymans in particular). Any C6 or newer Corvette is faster too. Hell, my buddy's friggin' MB wagon does an 11.7 quarter. But I don't need a daily-able sports car and in the real world those performance numbers are just abstractions. No-one times my bagel run. I just think you should buy the car you want. It doesn't have to be "better". If TMM wants a Maser, he should buy one (standard disclaimers about affording it, yada, yada).

The MB-owning friend had a C6 Z06 for a long time and it was a total beast of a car. Uselessly fast, really. Better than my car in any way you can measure. I sent him out with it one day. He came back just lit up. "That car is f'ing awesome". What it's really good at - weirdly - is being fun at reasonable speeds. I think a large part of this is the slightly anti-social exhaust I have on it. It's best enjoyed in brief blasts.

Hydraulic lifters, BTW, but it does have timing belts that should be replaced every 5 years. Fluids are easy though time consuming because there's a giant panel under the engine.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Sure, those cars are measurably better and more logical choices (I really like 6 cylinder Caymans in particular). Any C6 or newer Corvette is faster too. Hell, my buddy's friggin' MB wagon does an 11.7 quarter. But I don't need a daily-able sports car and in the real world those performance numbers are just abstractions. No-one times my bagel run. I just think you should buy the car you want. It doesn't have to be "better". If TMM wants a Maser, he should buy one (standard disclaimers about affording it, yada, yada).

The MB-owning friend had a C6 Z06 for a long time and it was a total beast of a car. Uselessly fast, really. Better than my car in any way you can measure. I sent him out with it one day. He came back just lit up. "That car is f'ing awesome". What it's really good at - weirdly - is being fun at reasonable speeds. I think a large part of this is the slightly anti-social exhaust I have on it. It's best enjoyed in brief blasts.

Hydraulic lifters, BTW, but it does have timing belts that should be replaced every 5 years. Fluids are easy though time consuming because there's a giant panel under the engine.

You should drive what you want and makes you happy in this life. There’s probably nothing like a Ferrari, I’ve experienced it by proxy in the passenger seat, and it was pretty bad-ass.

Being fun all the time is key. The Vette is so capable, you have to really push it beyond what you should on public roads to be really fulfilling. I once knew someone who’s fiancé (a state trooper) finally got a Z06, and was determined to slide tail-out out of a turn. He turned off traction control and had at it. Take a wild guess how that ended? That car has probably been recycled into fiber glass tent poles by now. Porsche does a pretty good job with fun at all speeds thing. I drove a base Cayman S and even that was a really fun drive. I’m in the minority but the new 4-cyl sounds good to me. Not as good as the 6, but still good. Porsche has a crazy thing going on now where people are paying stupid money on all of them. Still waiting for that bubble to burst.

Is your 360 silver?

mfennell

It's "grigio titanio", which is Italian for gray. I'm in a bit of a rut with colors, if we can call dark shades of silver "colors". The 996 GT3 I had before the 360 was "slate gray". I had a Chevy Volt that was "cyber gray". My V70R is "titanium".

WRT crazy Porsche prices, my brother in law sold his clean and well-modified (big turbo, big intercooler, head work) '87 911 Turbo for high 30s about 10 years ago. The next owner apparently sold it for over 100k! The only thing crazier is E30 M3 prices.

rick81721

Lothar
You should drive what you want and makes you happy in this life. There’s probably nothing like a Ferrari, I’ve experienced it by proxy in the passenger seat, and it was pretty bad-ass.

Being fun all the time is key. The Vette is so capable, you have to really push it beyond what you should on public roads to be really fulfilling. I once knew someone who’s fiancé (a state trooper) finally got a Z06, and was determined to slide tail-out out of a turn. He turned off traction control and had at it. Take a wild guess how that ended? That car has probably been recycled into fiber glass tent poles by now. Porsche does a pretty good job with fun at all speeds thing. I drove a base Cayman S and even that was a really fun drive. I’m in the minority but the new 4-cyl sounds good to me. Not as good as the 6, but still good. Porsche has a crazy thing going on now where people are paying stupid money on all of them. Still waiting for that bubble to burst.

Is your 360 silver?

Aren't Porsches, and even Lamborghini's, just fancy VWs?

THATmanMANNY

BaT has had a few used gt350s with track package end in the mid 40s. What a buy! The world is our oyster

@mfennell
Very rad history. Yea I definitely would rather a 360! Heard those are one of the best F cars to maintain. How many miles on e30?

mfennell

@mfennell
Very rad history. Yea I definitely would rather a 360! Heard those are one of the best F cars to maintain. How many miles on e30?
Around 140k. It's a completely stock '91 318is with a 5sp. When she bought it, it was the previous gen 3-series, then it was just a cheap old BMW, now people chase her down to ask about it. If she doesn't drive it for a few days, they start asking her questions. "Did you sell it? Is it for sale?"

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
It's "grigio titanio", which is Italian for gray. I'm in a bit of a rut with colors, if we can call dark shades of silver "colors". The 996 GT3 I had before the 360 was "slate gray". I had a Chevy Volt that was "cyber gray". My V70R is "titanium".

WRT crazy Porsche prices, my brother in law sold his clean and well-modified (big turbo, big intercooler, head work) '87 911 Turbo for high 30s about 10 years ago. The next owner apparently sold it for over 100k! The only thing crazier is E30 M3 prices.

The Porsche thing is crazy. I can understand the rationale and pricing around the air-cooled Turbo's as the ultimate incarnation of the air-cooled car (aside from the limited edition RS models, etc.), but I don't get the hype behind some of the regular air-cooled models. They are slow by todays standards, and "driving experience" is frankly what you make it. Unless you have the budget to turn one of them into a Singer car.

The BMW thing baffles me even more. Sure, the older M3's were good, but not that good. I'd rather have a new M2 vs. any older M car. If I'm going to buy a car from the early 2000's I'd rather have something like an E63, its the more solid car, you don't need to worry about blowing it up like an E46.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-shit-1784684330

rick81721

Lothar
Haha maybe I'll trade the GT350 for this in a couple of years. Latest rumors - 780 to 790 HP, two tranny options - 6M or 10A

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha maybe I'll trade the GT350 for this in a couple of years. Latest rumors - 780 to 790 HP, two tranny options - 6M or 10A
I would NEVER get rid of your GT350 for anything less than a GT350R.....I mean I think the GT500 is great and all...but at 800hp....im not sure it would be as much fun. Also, to me anyway, it doesnt look as nice as the GT350

rick81721

Lothar
I would NEVER get rid of your GT350 for anything less than a GT350R.....I mean I think the GT500 is great and all...but at 800hp....im not sure it would be as much fun. Also, to me anyway, it doesnt look as nice as the GT350

Yeah I'd have to see one first. 800 would be scary! I almost sent mine into a spin last week hitting the gas as I pulled out and turned left from a traffic light.

rick81721

Lothar
Update on my GT350 - started an oil consumption test with the local Ford dealer down here last week. The process is this: they change the oil (had to pay for that), then scribe the dipstick with 2 marks, one at 1 qt down, the other at full. Then you go off and drive, can't add any oil. Come back once a week for them to check. Week 1: knowing I was heading back to NJ before week 2 could be completed, I drove 370 miles. Results - 1 qt down. Documented as "excessive consumption". The tech noted small amounts of oil around the motor on the dipstick side, but there are no oil spots on my garage floor so it doesn't seem to leaking much. He said at week 2 (which won't be until January now), he will take off all the guards underneath for a better inspection. If after 4 weeks it is still consuming excessive oil, they submit paperwork for a new motor. That looks to be what will happen, probably early Feb.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Update on my GT350 - started an oil consumption test with the local Ford dealer down here last week. The process is this: they change the oil (had to pay for that), then scribe the dipstick with 2 marks, one at 1 qt down, the other at full. Then you go off and drive, can't add any oil. Come back once a week for them to check. Week 1: knowing I was heading back to NJ before week 2 could be completed, I drove 370 miles. Results - 1 qt down. Documented as "excessive consumption". The tech noted small amounts of oil around the motor on the dipstick side, but there are no oil spots on my garage floor so it doesn't seem to leaking much. He said at week 2 (which won't be until January now), he will take off all the guards underneath for a better inspection. If after 4 weeks it is still consuming excessive oil, they submit paperwork for a new motor. That looks to be what will happen, probably early Feb.
SWEET....make sure you run this current one into the ground..
And once they replace the motor, the car will never run as good as it does now......
well if the dealer was "rebuilding it" I would be concerned, but im guessing they are replacing it entirely, or at least the long block.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I'd start scoping out M2's

Top Bottom