Grip shift fitment issue!!

Chris Nordt

I've been using grip shift for years and never had an issue with fitment till now when I picked up a carbon fiber Easton monkey lite bar. The shifter will slip on an inch or 2 then get jammed up, but they slide on and off my alloy bars with out an issue. Is this a common thing, do I need a special "CF" sized grip shift, WTF!?!?

Because somebody will say it anyway... grip shifters are so 1999. Perfect time for an upgrade.

I've been using grip shift for years and never had an issue with fitment till now when I picked up a carbon fiber Easton monkey lite bar. The shifter will slip on an inch or 2 then get jammed up, but they slide on and off my alloy bars with out an issue. Is this a common thing, do I need a special "CF" sized grip shift, WTF!?!?
@SmooveP

Because somebody will say it anyway... grip shifters are so 1999. Perfect time for an upgrade.

I tried a SRAM GX trigger shifter and it just felt awkward, I picked up a SRAM XX 10sp grip shift fairly cheap so I wanted to stick with that if I could.

Did you slide the clamp ring off of the collet fingers on the inboard side of the shifter?

Did you slide the clamp ring off of the collet fingers on the inboard side of the shifter?

Yeah, it gets jammed up while in the grip housing. I get it an inch or so up the bar and it gets jammed up. I tried applying some lube and it still got stuck, but it slide up both of my alloy bars with out an issue.

I thought it may have been the Easton bar, so I tried to slide the shifter up a Ritchey carbon fiber bar and they get stuck in the same spot.. that's why I asked if it was a CF bar issue.

Been running GripShift for years, including recent models. Never had a problem. What bar width and how far up the bar are you trying to go? I use the shorty Ergon grips with mine so the width of the shifter grip + the fixed grip = a normal length grip. Are these real Easton bars or eBay knockoffs?

It's a legit Easton Monkey Lite XC Hi-Rise, 31.8mm, 670mm, the gripshift gets jammed up about an inch and a half up the handle bar. It's a XX 10sp gripshift, I also tried a XO 9sp shifter and it got jammed up in the same spot. I then tried both shifters on a Ritchey WCS Mountain Bike Flat Bar 31.8x600mm and they got stuck on that one too. Figured it could be a CF vs alloy thing, but wanted to check around.

It's a legit Easton Monkey Lite XC Hi-Rise, 31.8mm, 670mm, the gripshift gets jammed up about an inch and a half up the handle bar. It's a XX 10sp gripshift, I also tried a XO 9sp shifter and it got jammed up in the same spot. I then tried both shifters on a Ritchey WCS Mountain Bike Flat Bar 31.8x600mm and they got stuck on that one too. Figured it could be a CF vs alloy thing, but wanted to check around.
pinch clamp is loose right?

You got your hands on a pair of vernier calipers? Can you check for inconsistent sizing in the body of the shifter? Handlebars control area/grips/shifters have been been more or less standard for "flat" bars (7/8" or 22.2mm) for many years. Same result if you flip the shifter around and try to slide it on backwards?

I'll try to do some measuring when I get home from work and see if the shifter will slide on any better backwards or on the other side of the bar

When in doubt... it'll make it fit

tagline_new.png

Back
Top Bottom