Greetings from the Middle East!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought he didn't want his address posted? Not that any of that means anything to me.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Got the address.

Cookies won't be in hand till early March, but we'll get them to you soon as we can.
Hope you have a good supply of milk to go with them!:rolleyes:

f2f4

I just got a package from Jeff, with the shirt, mag (which rocks!), and a Trailbuilding DVD that I ironically have already. My roommate loves the shirt. :D

Thanks a ton! You made a crappy day for me turn into a good one. :)

f2f4

I RECIEVED A HUGE PACKAGE FROM HALTERS TODAY!!!

To say it was awesome is an understatement. The battery is in my laptop right now, which is why I am online actually (power here is unreliable at the moment).

I'm gonna get started with the tubes and tools, and see what I can work up with these bikes... we have tons of dirt, so I might build up some dirt jumps...

The mags make it even better. :D

I've been looking at the Trek Remedy 7 (2008) as a possible purchase.
It's a more-serious AM rig, around 32 lbs I think, with 20mm maxle, 6", and some kick-butt geometry (every review I read on this thing has the people going crazy over it)...

My motivation: A bike that can own the hell out of Moab, Fruita, Durango, Vegas, etc, AND lemme have my fun every weekend back home at Diablo; while still being able to climb well. I may like my downhill, but I still want to ride up when possible!

Link: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/mountain_full_suspension/remedy/remedy7/

In addition to this I was thinking of a nice 29" SS rigid for everything else. Allaire and 6mile and such seem like heaven for that stuff.

Is this too much bike? I'm afraid of using a Trance X1 / Reign 1 / Fuel EX 8 / Niner RIP at places like Diablo and Whistler and such, because it seems like they would snap in half or have the headtube ripped off or bottom out and bork the shocks and wheels and me. Also I just don't trust quick-releases on the front. I just don't.

Is any of this true? Or is "desert-insanity" getting to me?

Either way, <3 you all for the support. I CAN'T WAIT to ride when I get back, whether on a SS, RB, or heavy AM rig!

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rock on man! Battery courtesy of Scalpel6, Kirt, Mergs, Jess,
MtbDawgJeff, Walter, clarkenstein, ElZoller, Fogerson, Justin, and myself. Surf away!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am glad that the box got to you in one piece. I wasn't sure if they would let me send you the combo of a battery and chain lube that is flammable.

Enjoy!

You are asking for trouble if you plan on using the klunker bikes you have there on dirt jumps.

As for bikes when you get back..

You don't need a big hit bike unless you plan on using it enough that renting would be silly.

This same discussion goes on here all the time.

If you really want a longer travel bike that you can ride xc you might look into the new C-dale Rize w 130 mm of travel.

peace

J_

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I just got a package from Jeff, with the shirt, mag (which rocks!), and a Trailbuilding DVD that I ironically have already. My roommate loves the shirt. :D

Thanks a ton! You made a crappy day for me turn into a good one. :)

cool, glad you're enjoying all the stuff getting sent. it great to see everyone supporting you guys over there.

p.s. frank should be sending you a jorba T size medium. we're all chubby up here in the north so all's i had on hand was L and XLs :) frank has the full kit of jorba "evening wear".

best.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
same sentiment here as mergs -

btw - i just got the new issue of bike - once i'm done reading it, i'll pass it along. its got some cool trail reviews in it.

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
Man, wish I had seen this a little earlier. Definitely would have thrown in some old mags I have around at the very least. Anyway, thanks so much for what you're doing and stay safe out there!

And speaking of a new bike, I'm looking for the same type of bike as you and I think I've settled on the new Reign 1 myself.

f2f4

Well guys, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I received a package from Frank today. That jersey ROCKS! You'll see me wearing it from now on. Also thanks for the Bike photo issue. Some of those pictures are going up next to my bed.

Bad news: The battery is defective. After charging twice, it started fizzling overnight, and now refuses to accept any charge. The meter shows it at 0%. I'm thinking one of the cells is internally shorted.

As soon as I get a chance, I'll box it up and mail it back stateside. Someone send me a PM with a good mailing address to send it to. :(

Last edited:

f2f4

It's been awhile, but I thought I would let everyone know what's up.

I was able to get that battery mailed out finally (the hardest part? Finding the right customs form to fill out... grr). I hope Norm got it by now!

I have less than a month left here. I've been doing a lot of research, and have pretty much decided on this course:

1st) Reign X1 08, for Diablo, DJ, Skyline, and other funness that involves me going way vertical and very fast :D:D
2nd) Used road bike (54-56 cm I think I am? Anyone selling one?) for awesome road rides and possible cyclocross
3rd) SS 29er YEAH BABY YEAH (used possibly if I can find one in the right size in sexellent condition) for those crazy XC rides you guys (and soon me) do :getsome:
4th) Convert my Trek hardtail into a decent DJ setup (slam saddle, 1x9, shortcage RD, tires, short stem, etc)

I'm gonna be hitting up Diablo and places like that a lot in Nor*Jer, so you all will be seeing me a bit more up there...

Oh, and guys, those parts you sent me... well, we have a little bike shop going on up here now thanks to you!!!

Pics:

SANY0158.jpg

SANY0163.jpg

SANY0125.jpg

<3 and see you all soon

- Airman out

Wobbegong

Glad to hear you'll be coming home soon. A ride at Six Mile Run with buritos and beers on me when your home. Stay safe.

f2f4

Yup, I'll be back at McGuire. Should be fun. I hope to make it to the MTBNJ picnic this fall.

Wobbegong - I'm taking you up on that. :D

Shaggz

A strong 7
chris, i have another package to send for use over there. not too sure of when you are leaving and timing, should i still send it to your attention?

secondspeed02

Proud to be an American

:)God bless you Sir, thank you, and be safe

I support the troops and you
peace come back home

Grandson of PGI 346th Eng. WWII 1942-1945 Europe
RIP 00'

f2f4

BACK IN JERSEY!

Took me long enough, haha.

I start work tomorrow, but I do have Sundays and Mondays off (for now).

That means I can do TM at Allaire once again. :)

I'll let you all know when I can ride; right now I am focused on getting back into life, and *flight training* :D

Top Bottom