great training park

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the amount of climbing, combined with the rock gardens make this a really fun park. it would be a good park for training for xc races. the climbs are frequent and steep, there's enough tech to keep you interested, and it's mostly singletrack. downside is it's an out and back, and one way is only 6 miles between jan 15 and august 1st due to a seasonal trail closure. worth the drive if you're within 45 minutes or so. good park for off road triathletes too, since the resevoir is right there.

larger volume tires recommended. 2.2-2.3 should suffice. some of the hills can get really rocky and fairly square edged.

the steep grade of the climbs makes them difficult on a singlespeed, but why singlespeed if you aren't looking for a challenge?

PatrickBrown

I havent ridden there since probably 1999, not sure if the loop has changed at all, but if you do all the climbs and the singletrac to the fire road back to the beginning of the loop, its a nice loop with monster climbs, and super fast big ring fire road back,

the best was in the races I did there, once you hit the fire road back, you hit the big ring, you would usually pass a bunch of riders that had bonked on the climbs and were basically pedaling on the fire road and hanging on for dear life. as you passed them at 25mph

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ok, based on what patrick said above, and what others have said, and shown, it can indeed be made into at least a lollipop loop, or, including a bit of road a full loop around the resevoir.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean,

He's referring to the camp road. At the Eagle Trail you can go left and in 100 feet you're on the camp road. Take it ALLLLLLLLLL the way around to the end and you have to go up a short steep climb. It will bring you to a trail intersection. You may remember it being most of the way up the first really long climb, but before you needed to walk up that last beast of a hill. There was a trail marker/sign there. Don't remember what it read.

You could also take it to the road crossing. So you could do "laps" or partial laps.

Also you could go right at the Eagle Trail, up a very steep hill, then down. That's the "best downhill" Jeff was talking about. After you walk your bike over an enormous blowdown, cross exactly 1 log crossing and bang a hard left onto a yellow diamond trail. Keep taking rights from there and you will end up back at the start of the same yellow diamond trail. That little bit is what I refer to as the lollipop end of the trail. Then you have to hike-a-bike back out of this side.

The thing about the camp road. If you go out, then do the camp road back, it feels like cheating. However, if you're cooked you realize the camp road isn't flat.

euphoria

Sean,

He's referring to the camp road. At the Eagle Trail you can go left and in 100 feet you're on the camp road. Take it ALLLLLLLLLL the way around to the end and you have to go up a short steep climb. It will bring you to a trail intersection. You may remember it being most of the way up the first really long climb, but before you needed to walk up that last beast of a hill. There was a trail marker/sign there. Don't remember what it read.

You could also take it to the road crossing. So you could do "laps" or partial laps.

Also you could go right at the Eagle Trail, up a very steep hill, then down. That's the "best downhill" Jeff was talking about. After you walk your bike over an enormous blowdown, cross exactly 1 log crossing and bang a hard left onto a yellow diamond trail. Keep taking rights from there and you will end up back at the start of the same yellow diamond trail. That little bit is what I refer to as the lollipop end of the trail. Then you have to hike-a-bike back out of this side.

The thing about the camp road. If you go out, then do the camp road back, it feels like cheating. However, if you're cooked you realize the camp road isn't flat.

my wife and i jsut did the red out and the camp road back on friday morning. for our first time here it didnt feel like cheating to us as the monster hill (is there a nickname for that beast?) really surprised us! anyways, overall it wasnt so technical, but the last mile of the red before the camproad was pretty good. we really liked it here and will be back for sure with less camproad next time. most likely gonna give the king of the hill a go too...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions