Great success! Studs work.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So I took my homemade studs to Skyline today and they friggin rule! I rode on the lake and the icy fire roads around it with no problems. Snow is thick and soft. Going downhill is a blast, flats are slow but OK, the climbs are a beatch, I had to push the bike to get out of some climbs. It was a short but sweet ride. Here are some shots:

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff man....and cool pictures! Wish I had a set of them bad boys today.

-Eric

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Good job man. What did you use to make the ghetto studded tires?

-424 (233 front/191rear) 7 x 7/16 Pan Head Screws
-duct tape
-drill
-lots of patience

did u ride on the lake?!
Be careful on that lake, el, guacamole is slow to thaw out.

yes, crunchyyyyy!
http://blip.tv/file/1723952

I saw some guys walking on the lake and told me they met a dude that was drilling some holes, the ice is 8in thick. I hope they were right :D

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I saw some guys walking on the lake and told me they met a dude that was drilling some holes, the ice is 8in thick. I hope they were right :D

Without a doubt.
The ice is so solid you could drive a truck on it now. It will take a good ....LONG.... stretch above freezing before our lakes thaw. The slower moving rivers are even solid up here in the great white north, with ATV tracks and skating areas all over them. My dad fabled about such things when he was a child, but this is the first I've ever seen it.

As I drove home late last night I was thinking about the wildlife... haven't seen much this winter. The poor turtles must be frozen solid and I'll bet the fleas and ticks have taken a bit hit in this cold. We're bound to see fewer ticks this year. :):):):)

When it does thaw, be sure to catch the icebergs floating in the Hudson... they say that's quite a spectacle.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ill keep my eyes open for them and try to get you guys some pics when get down this far :D

(im at Stevens Tech, in hoboken, right on the river )

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I was just out at 6 mile for a few hours for my maiden voyage with the Nokian studded 29er tires.

They are SOOOO sick!!

They are way pricey but worth it. There is no way yo could have ridden at all w/o studs.

It is a weird feeling to just cruise over huge ice patches but one I figured out how hard I could push them It was really great.

I ran them tubeless with 30psi in both as a starting point and never touched the psi.

They will break loose in really tight corners but overall i give them a big thumbs UP!!

I also flagged a nice reroute that we will attack on our 1st trail day in march.

Sweet day. Way warm. Look for a nice storm in a few day to bring us some new snow cover.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
When it does thaw, be sure to catch the icebergs floating in the Hudson... they say that's quite a spectacle.

Cool site indeed. The Piermont bay area of the Hudson was frozen solid a week ago. Sunday it was clear, and very few bergs afloat. The current must have taken them out already. ... but the winter ain't over yet :cry:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
El, super cool home-made studs. Those spikes are big! (that's what she's says) I hope you never run over my foot.

JohneeOxford

Shop: Marty's, H-Town
Shop Keep
Those look pretty killer!
I just ghetto'd up some old tires with some steel pop rivets for ridin on the lake... probably not as much traction as those shredders tho. Awesome!

ICE_T.jpg

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Be careful on the ice, this thread is from last year. Our lake had no ice on Monday since the thin shell that was there had been literally blown off from high winds last weekend. It's really only had maybe two days in... I'd give it a few more days or ten before I ventured too far out. Our lake community rampant with avid fishermen. If it isn't solid enough for them, we certainly don't go out on it. And today was the first time I saw anybody on the lake this year.

I watched him for a bit and he didn't seem to move a muscle. Can't figure out what the attraction is to sit there doing nothing in 20 degree weather in the hopes of catching a fish you're not allowed to keep.:hmmm:
Must have naggy wives or teenagers, I guess.

Last edited:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Be careful on the ice, this thread is from last year. Our lake had no ice on Monday since the thin shell that was there had been literally blown off from high winds last weekend. It's really only had maybe two days in... I'd give it a few more days or ten before I ventured too far out. Our lake community rampant with avid fishermen. If it isn't solid enough for them, we certainly don't go out on it. And today was the first time I saw anybody on the lake this year.

I watched him for a bit and he didn't seem to move a muscle. Can't figure out what the attraction is to sit there doing nothing in 20 degree weather in the hopes of catching a fish you're not allowed to keep.:hmmm:
Must have naggy wives or teenagers, I guess.

Damn it! After seeing this mighty thread resurrection I was actually planning on doing a Crunchy Skyline Lake ride this weekend:whoopdedo

I need a ride!! Havent been on my bike since 12/5 and that was my 1st mtb ride since the injury:cry: I cant take it anymore!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Skyline might be okay since it's small and not terribly deep. Sunday I'd be more confident if the temps stay so low But I'd still look for thick ice at fishing holes and not go out too far.

How's the leg Zoller?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
How's the leg Zoller?

Tequila therapy did wonders...I am feeling pretty good, I still can't run full speed to play soccer, but mobility is very close to 100%. I have to go back to therapy for a few more sessions and then I gotta work on my beer gut :drooling:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions