Great new trail @ High Point SP

S

snowshoe

If anyone is intrested in some new places to ride try the trail system at High Point State Parks Lusscroft section. Some of the trails are marked and others are not. It was a trail system a long time ago and forgotten about. I have been riding it for a few years now and it is a shame no one knows about it. A horse group has been maintaining the trails. Mt biking is legal on the trails. The trails lead to High Points Iris Trail, Stokes SF Howell and parkers trail. I have a map I made if anyone wants a copy e-mail me or if there is a way I can get it onto this site. The riding is great some good hills, stream crossing and never ending routes. Just wantewd to pass the info along

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Here's the map. :)

(I converted it to jpg and resized so you could upload it, unfortunately the image quality suffers a little)

I just asked out chapter leader of Skylands Cycling about this area, I'm waiting to hear back on a ride report.

How are the trails now after the windy stormy late winter? Lots of blow downs to manage? Is anyone maintaining the trails in area?

S

snowshoe

There is actually a horse group maintaining the trails. There are very few blowdowns as of yesterday. The horse group started taking care of the trail system lasy summer. The are still working on it. Some of the trails are blazed (Swenson Rd and Buck and Doe trails. Alot of the others are marked but the blazes are very old and faded. There are trail signs at most of the intersections. The trails are a lost and forgotten about s trial system. It used to be maintained by the 4-H camp when it was in operation. I have been exploring the area for a few years. I made the map, it is not GPS just a rough sketch and most of the names are what I refere to them as. No one will know the features ecept the locals. I am trying to get the NY/NJ Trail conference to put the trails on the new Kittatinny trails map and show them as a horse trail. Of course it is multi use.
No one that I know has road the area. Once people start the trails should get broken in very nice. Some good hill climbs, great single tracks sections some road. A little bit of everything. You can keep busy for a few hourse. It would be nice to see more activity out there and keep the trail alive so they dont get forgotten about again.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Lusscroft Farm Trail Work Day

I just received and email from an equestrian who does regular trail maintance at JORBA trail sessions. I've seen her at Morris County and at Jungle Habitat sessions. I think she was also at the Six Mile session.

In any case they doing work this weekend and would like to invite any mountain bikers that can attend to pitch in and help.

Details: Lusscroft Farm Trail Work Day

http://www.jorba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1828

BAIN

Seriously, I hope this place gets some work done. It needs it! Only road there once and for its location in comparison to other places it is a huge waste of time. The only fun part we found when we were there was the climb up and over to deckertown and back. Outside of that it was just a bunch of tractor roads.

There was talk of people doing a lot of single track work here, but someone I know better ride it first before you get me back there. Someone should let some dirt bikers blaze some trails like they used to.

Anyways, not to steer anyway, I will be interested in hearing what people have to say after the maintenance day.

BadLine

Don't know if this snowshoe person is around here any more but Thanks! for the maps you put out on mtbr. They came in handy on some of my exploits.

LandCruiser

If anyone is intrested in some new places to ride try the trail system at High Point State Parks Lusscroft section. Some of the trails are marked and others are not. It was a trail system a long time ago and forgotten about. I have been riding it for a few years now and it is a shame no one knows about it. A horse group has been maintaining the trails. Mt biking is legal on the trails. The trails lead to High Points Iris Trail, Stokes SF Howell and parkers trail. I have a map I made if anyone wants a copy e-mail me or if there is a way I can get it onto this site. The riding is great some good hills, stream crossing and never ending routes. Just wantewd to pass the info along

Thanks for the update. I couldn't help but notice 2 post in 4 years...See you in 2012 :eek:

Top Bottom