Graveyard Bikes Inc.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if only porposie would come back. he was only man enough to post once. :(

if only richie would get a website. or a computer.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
do you say it "boon-ton" or "boon-nn"?

i've started insisting on fully pronouncing it of late. it is fun to say that way.

CrossAddict

Stickers

Bill,

Do you know if any graveyard stickers still exist?

The jersey was deffinatly the coolest (97-98 pro-team issue):D

-rf

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bill,

Do you know if any graveyard stickers still exist?

The jersey was deffinatly the coolest (97-98 pro-team issue):D

-rf

Scotty K just adorned my new ride in the appropriate location. I didn't even have to ride down Hans hill - Grandfather clause I guess.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK - You all may be asking WTF is Graveyard Bikes. GYB was/is a club/team/group that was/is a meld of primarily people from Boonton and Totowa. The origin can be traced back to a cold and wet Thanksgiving day ride circa 1987 when a couple of Boonton boys got together to ride Splitrock (Farny, Wildcat, etc) rather than the pre-feast bloody touch football game. The ride became a tradition I joined the following year, also the year I worked at Bicycle Tech in Lincoln Park. I was rejoined with my Passaic County bretheren, as the owner and other mechanic were both Totawa boys. We started the now bygone buck-a-ride. Everyone would kick in a dollar at the beggining of the ride. The winner would get 1/2 the pot, the other half was used to fund an annual dinner. The rides were regulary 10+. At one point our Wednesday night rides were pulling in 12-15 riders; we didn't even start until 8:30, I'd hit the bed around midnight usually. The Graveyard came to be, because Scotty (the other mechanic) lived next to that huge graveyard by Rt 80 in Totawa. The night before races we would all hang out and drink ripped fuel tea and work on our bikes; and test them in the graveyard. But alas, poeple get older, get married, move away and leave this wonderful sport. The original buck-a-ride and Wed night rides went on for better than decade with a core crew of riders (men and women). A few us still ride as much as ever.

On those cold Thanksgiving mornings at 7:30 the graveyard crew is always resurected in the Rockaway Valley School parking lot in Boonton Twp. We get ferried via Kimball Lanscaping tandem dump trucks to the top of Charlottesburg rd to continue the tradition. 2007 brought out about 18 riders - not even close to our record of 34. I imagine we won't stop until we can't ride anyomre. If its any indication (and I hope it is) - my dad is usually out there rocking his Klein Adept (he's 64) - he was out the Waway race too.

MTBNJ.com posters Bonefishjake, CrossAddict, EABODS, Porpoise and myself have all been part and privy. Thanks to Jake, Norm, Steve we are all part of new and even larger community.

EABODS

Graveyard Bikes Comic Book

OK - You all may be asking WTF is Graveyard Bikes. GYB was/is a club/team/group that was/is a meld of primarily people from Boonton and Totowa. The origin can be traced back to a cold and wet Thanksgiving day ride circa 1987 when a couple of Boonton boys got together to ride Splitrock (Farny, Wildcat, etc) rather than the pre-feast bloody touch football game. The ride became a tradition I joined the following year, also the year I worked at Bicycle Tech in Lincoln Park. I was rejoined with my Passaic County bretheren, as the owner and other mechanic were both Totawa boys. We started the now bygone buck-a-ride. Everyone would kick in a dollar at the beggining of the ride. The winner would get 1/2 the pot, the other half was used to fund an annual dinner. The rides were regulary 10+. At one point our Wednesday night rides were pulling in 12-15 riders; we didn't even start until 8:30, I'd hit the bed around midnight usually. The Graveyard came to be, because Scotty (the other mechanic) lived next to that huge graveyard by Rt 80 in Totawa. The night before races we would all hang out and drink ripped fuel tea and work on our bikes; and test them in the graveyard. But alas, poeple get older, get married, move away and leave this wonderful sport. The original buck-a-ride and Wed night rides went on for better than decade with a core crew of riders (men and women). A few us still ride as much as ever.

On those cold Thanksgiving mornings at 7:30 the graveyard crew is always resurected in the Rockaway Valley School parking lot in Boonton Twp. We get ferried via Kimball Lanscaping tandem dump trucks to the top of Charlottesburg rd to continue the tradition. 2007 brought out about 18 riders - not even close to our record of 34. I imagine we won't stop until we can't ride anyomre. If its any indication (and I hope it is) - my dad is usually out there rocking his Klein Adept (he's 64) - he was out the Waway race too.

MTBNJ.com posters Bonefishjake, CrossAddict, EABODS, Porpoise and myself have all been part and privy. Thanks to Jake, Norm, Steve we are all part of new and even larger community.

Addendum: Graveyard Bikes also became a limited edition comic which saw three comics produced. They are incerdibly valuable, originals can be found at Bicycle Tech in Lincoln Park (a shop that won't go out of business so long as we have jobs I presume). I will eventually scan them and make them available via web.

CrossAddict

Hans Hill

circa South Mountain 1995 ?

I think thats the one. :D <--been there done that

BTW Hans broke his hand riding "joeys drop" in allaire st park.

-rf

Top Bottom