Gravel Route Recommendations? Gravel Tires?

stevie.mtb

Does anyone recommend/have gravel focused routes in the central NJ area? I'll take route options north or south too but I like to keep my rides local so I don't eat up the day driving to and from.

Also, my "road" bike is a Giant Escape. I ride her with 32c tires now. Is it worth the extra cash to throw a pair of 38c/40c gravel specific tires on if that's what I plan to ride? (~70% gravel 30% road). Would that change make much of an impact on ride quality? Ideally I would rather have a gravel specific bike but lack that sort of money right now lol I'd like to make the Escape a road/gravel machine...

Thanks for any advice!

rick81721

Lothar
The only long-distance dirt/gravel path around here that I know of is the d&r canal towpath. If you want a mix of paved and gravel roads check out the Hell of Hunterdon route.

qclabrat

hook up with the HB gravel fat bike rides on Mondays.
There's a great network of trails in Bedminster near the Trump course, look for Larger Cross Rd and River Rd. How much mileage are you thinking of? stay with what you got till you wear them out. Trust me as someone with too many tires.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
hook up with the HB gravel fat bike rides on Mondays.
There's a great network of trails in Bedminster near the Trump course, look for Larger Cross Rd and River Rd. How much mileage are you thinking of? stay with what you got till you wear them out. Trust me as someone with too many tires.
I did a modified version of this loop last Sunday. 24 miles 2k elevation. Was a really nice ride and like 70% dirt roads

goldsbar

Stretching the definition of "Central", but the Marty's Fat 50 winter race is basically all gravel/dirt roads.

RootDKJ

Probably more Northwest than central but the Columbia Trail is 15 miles of gravel with some nice pavement sections that parallel the trail. I ride that with 32c’s on a road bike.

qclabrat

The only long-distance dirt/gravel path around here that I know of is the d&r canal towpath. If you want a mix of paved and gravel roads check out the Hell of Hunterdon route.
Probably more Northwest than central but the Columbia Trail is 15 miles of gravel with some nice pavement sections that parallel the trail. I ride that with 32c’s on a road bike.

The D&R and Columbia trails are about as boring as it gets, think Pinelands with some people and dogs. If it there wasn't the opportunity to duck into 6MR or Rutgers I'd rather not do the D&R. Tho, I've giving up with riding drop bars at XC parks, it just beats your bike to crap. For me it's perfect for a full rigid SS. Also for Columbia, I need to figure out how to get into Voorhees SP next time from the trail.

Top Bottom