Gravel bike regear prep questions.

Ron

So my 2019 Trek Crockett 5 (stock) is seeing pretty much all of my road riding these days, road bike will be going up for sale very soon.

At present bike is set up SRAM 1x11 (40t x 11-36). Initially I am looking at adding a double front, 46/36t or 50/34t.

Or I am thinking 1x12 but my searches are coming up limited and super expensive. To go 1x12 I would need chainring, rear d, hub driver, cassette and shifter. Shifter I would prefer cable so I can keep cost down by keeping the TRP brakes.
Thanks

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So my 2019 Trek Crockett 5 (stock) is seeing pretty much all of my road riding these days, road bike will be going up for sale very soon.
At present bike is set up SRAM 1x11 (40t x 11-36). Initially I am looking at adding a double front, 46/36t or 50/34t.
Or I am thinking 1x12 but my searches are coming up limited and super expensive. Do go 1x12 I would need chainring, rear d, hub driver, cassette and shifter. Shifter I would prefer cable so I can keep cost down by keeping the TRP brakes.
Thanks
Why do you want to switch drivetrain?
If you feel 1x11 is too tall (too much work on climbs) you could swap out 40 chain ring to something less. That would be the easiest, cheapest swap to make climbs easier.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
With a 36 on the rear, I'd just change to a 42t crank and call it a day. My CX bike is 42-11/32, and I could use a lower gear, but I rarely find I spin out on flats. I don't do group rides, so the high end speed isn't a factor.

Ron

Why do you want to switch drivetrain?
If you feel 1x11 is too tall (too much work on climbs) you could swap out 40 chain ring to something less. That would be the easiest, cheapest swap to make climbs easier.

I want to have more climbing gear for the epic climbs but not sacrifice speed on flats. My legs are not cadence monsters at all. I have tried for years to carry an over 100 cadence and it does not work.

Next year I am looking at doing some of the epic gravel rides in NJ and Pa. I prefer epic days in a saddle compared to an as fast as you can go for 16 miles.

Ron

With a 36 on the rear, I'd just change to a 42t crank and call it a day. My CX bike is 42-11/32, and I could use a lower gear, but I rarely find I spin out on flats. I don't do group rides, so the high end speed isn't a factor.

I am a solo rider also. But would do the gravel rides with friends.

Basically I am looking to change the bike from cx to more gravel, I guess in terms.

jdgang

I am more like you. @extremedave calls me the slowest Single Speeder he has ever met. That being said with a good amount of training, I was able to complete UnPAved riding 46/36 with a 11-32. That was 88 miles with 6400ft of climbing. Very Epic. If I where to change anything, I would go with a change to a 11-34 first then maybe and new crankset with 4x/32-31-30 chainrings. Their are so many new combo coming out Shimano now as 48/31 or 46/30. Alot of new bikes spec Easton cranks similar to shimano in terms of gear sizes. SRAM seems to be pushing Etap if you want double. Tires can also make a huge difference as well.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Or I am thinking 1x12 but my searches are coming up limited and super expensive. To go 1x12 I would need chainring, rear d, hub driver, cassette and shifter. Shifter I would prefer cable so I can keep cost down by keeping the TRP brakes.
Thanks

If it's already 11-speed, you could just do a driver, cassette, and RD and get a 10-42 rear. That's what I'm running on my Salsa with a 44t ring up front. I'm terrible at climbing and it's plenty of low gear.

Ron

If it's already 11-speed, you could just do a driver, cassette, and RD and get a 10-42 rear. That's what I'm running on my Salsa with a 44t ring up front. I'm terrible at climbing and it's plenty of low gear.

So I am looking at the SRAM 1175 10-42. And I see the Rival long cage would work. Now I just have to figure out which driver will work on my bike.

Steve Vai

So I am looking at the SRAM 1175 10-42. And I see the Rival long cage would work. Now I just have to figure out which driver will work on my bike.

What wheel do you have? You need an XD or XDR for that cassette. Or, you could always keep the driver and do a Suntour cassette but it'll be an 11-42

Reactions: Ron

Ron

What wheel do you have? You need an XD or XDR for that cassette. Or, you could always keep the driver and do a Suntour cassette but it'll be an 11-42

it is the stock wheelset that came on the bike. Off top of head I think a Bontrager Affinity wheelset, lower level being bike is 5 series.

Steve Vai

it is the stock wheelset that came on the bike. Off top of head I think a Bontrager Affinity wheelset, lower level being bike is 5 series.

I'm not sure what hub they use in that. You might be better off doing the Suntour then.

Top Bottom