Grandmas Ride

ArmyOfNone

Saturday I was over my girlfriend's grandmother's house. Grandma calls me over with a newspaper article about cycling. In the article contains a loops, that i figured I'd give a try. The paper says the loops is about 18 miles. Figured how bad could it be? Not to bad if they put it in the newspaper rite? WRONG!

I went out with the thought that it would be a nice easy ride. 2.5 hours later...pheww! Thank goodness i was done! Needless to say it was a great ride with tons of climbing and some more rolling hills through montgomery, skillman, and hillsboro. I also road by Jeffs house. I can get there in about an hour. Great ride for those in the area.

Heres the data:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2233402

The article was from 1993 by the way. Surprising that she had it all this time.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
We are riding on the road at 8:30 from the wine-press. Just south of Kingston on rt 27 where the D&R crosses 27.

Chris, Nic and I..maybe you too?

j
Saturday I was over my girlfriend's grandmother's house. Grandma calls me over with a newspaper article about cycling. In the article contains a loops, that i figured I'd give a try. The paper says the loops is about 18 miles. Figured how bad could it be? Not to bad if they put it in the newspaper rite? WRONG!

I went out with the thought that it would be a nice easy ride. 2.5 hours later...pheww! Thank goodness i was done! Needless to say it was a great ride with tons of climbing and some more rolling hills through montgomery, skillman, and hillsboro. I also road by Jeffs house. I can get there in about an hour. Great ride for those in the area.

Heres the data:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2233402

The article was from 1993 by the way. Surprising that she had it all this time.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
We are riding on the road at 8:30 from the wine-press. Just south of Kingston on rt 27 where the D&R crosses 27.

Chris, Nic and I..maybe you too?

j
Does this mean that spring is truly here? Or are even you guys not wanting to deal with the 6 Mile Death Mud?

ArmyOfNone

Well it wwwwwwwaaaasss going to be a day off for me, but If im still feeling good after work ill ride. Hopefully not too many hills bc im just about hilled out. Remember now i only have 12 gears...no cheating. :getsome:

I have no clue where you are talking about starting from. If i decide to ride, ill call you.

Is that nick bennette?

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

not feeling so strong at the moment. we will see what happens.

jake- go ahead, call me a wuss. its ok.

jdog

Shop Keep
Does this mean that spring is truly here? Or are even you guys not wanting to deal with the 6 Mile Death Mud?

It is just not that fun right now. If you went out early yesterday the ground ws frozen but once it warms up .. not so good.

The next few days will have rain too as an added bonus.

j

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jake- go ahead, call me a wuss. its ok.

oh, now that hurts AON. today is likely an off day for me...along with tomorrow since i'm heading to the lovely motor city, the DET, for a two day biz trip. i don't know that i'd want to ride a bike around there anyway considering some of the areas i've seen. i think i'd rather take my chances jumping into a pool of rabid deer ticks.

ArmyOfNone

oh, now that hurts AON. today is likely an off day for me...along with tomorrow since i'm heading to the lovely motor city, the DET, for a two day biz trip. i don't know that i'd want to ride a bike around there anyway considering some of the areas i've seen. i think i'd rather take my chances jumping into a pool of rabid deer ticks.

Sorry, i just thought may be it was coming. LOL. Im thinking a day off from riding is what im gonna do as well. I was sooooooooooooo close to going out with J and the gang, but then i fell asleep at a light on rt1 and was awoken by the sounds of angry horns. OOPS!

However it is supposed to be a nice day, so when i wake up im thinking of going running for an extended period of time. I think they call it yogging or jogging. its a soft j. <--anchorman quote. hopefully that will knock out some of this lactic acid floating around in me.

I havent been to the motor city, but im sure its not the greatest for riding, if its like any other big city. So enjoy the trip, have fun, and be safe!

ArmyOfNone

A Little Direction Please

When i wake in a few hours i plan on riding for a bout 3 hours or so. However I am not planning on doing any serious climbing, intervals or crazy stuff. I just want to get some time in the saddle.

Just wondering if there was anything to work out or keep in mind while doing this? Cadence/speed? My only thoughts were to keep an average of 17 or 18 mph. Ill look forward to waking up to what you have to say. NIGHT! or DAY! however you wanna look at it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If all you care for is TIS, why care about hills/cadence/average at all? Just go.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
When i wake in a few hours i plan on riding for a bout 3 hours or so. However I am not planning on doing any serious climbing, intervals or crazy stuff. I just want to get some time in the saddle.

Just wondering if there was anything to work out or keep in mind while doing this? Cadence/speed? My only thoughts were to keep an average of 17 or 18 mph. Ill look forward to waking up to what you have to say. NIGHT! or DAY! however you wanna look at it.
Go for a bike ride, that's my advice. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

It sounds like you're getting plenty of saddle time. Too much gung-ho stuff can turn you into a crispy critter, so strike a balance.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Are you crashing at least once..

...on these rides?It doesn't sound like it so I wouldn't bother w/ stats until you're crashing.

ArmyOfNone

...on these rides?It doesn't sound like it so I wouldn't bother w/ stats until you're crashing.

HA! Ill see what i can do. Id like to avoid crashing on the road. I know i can take on trees and rocks, not so sure about pavement and cars.

Thanks for the responses!

ArmyOfNone

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2245156

fun ride today. i felt great. i just spun the pedals and enjoyed the weather. Just like you all said. Tried a new route i found posted online. There was some construction on one road but i figured it out. I missed a few other turns. But I made out ok. Pretty flat for the most part. Just what i was looking for. This road riding stuff is not half bad after all. :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I gotta say the more I look at these Garmin routes the less I believe the altitude numbers.

D

DANSPANK

I know that you have to set the altitude on the unit to an altitude you know when you first get it but there has to be some effect that normal atmospheric pressure changes have on the unit:
If I set my unit to 0feet at sea level when it was a high pressure day then ride at 100ft above see level on a low pressure day then won't the unit think my altitude is higher than I actually am?

Or am I being a spaz here?

jdog

Shop Keep
I gotta say the more I look at these Garmin routes the less I believe the altitude numbers.

i would sort of agree..

It looks like the speed and elevation changes don't quite add up.

I also think that you can almost forget about having any mapping accuracy in the summer under the tree canopy.

If it keeps you riding then it is cool.

j

J-Dro

Fred, you might try to use the "MB Gravity" filter in motionbased to improve the altitude accuracy. It's buried in one of the user options. It supposedly filters and corrects GPS altitude data when you import into motionbased. Here's what the Help page says about it:

Elevation from a typical GPS unit is less accurate than the horizontal position (latitude/longitude). Elevation can sometimes be off as much as 10 meters. Even at that accuracy it can be used as a good guide to understand where you are on a hill climb. While standing still the GPS elevation will often fluctuate exposing the inability to be confident of the absolute elevation.

MotionBased Gravity uses the horizontal position reported from a GPS and cross-references the position to an elevation database that has been surveyed by professional organizations. The known position is accurate to as little at 3 meters which can be a good source of elevation.

Top Bottom