GPS n00b needs help...

kjarrett

tl;dr - tried to use my Garmin Edge 520 Plus with a custom course & it puked all over itself, wondering what to do now.

Hey everyone,

Picked up a Garmin Edge 520 Plus and a Speed Sensor after doing some research and comparison shopping for something basic with Navigation. Wanted to keep the total investment under $300 and nothing decent used was on eBay when I looked. Also considered the Wahoo Bolt but decided to go Garmin for now.

My reasons for getting a GPS: 1) improve my fitness level, generally [not to become a data nerd]; 2) find new trails that I believe I'll enjoy (suitable terrain/elevation/etc.) & load those as courses.

Not interested in slapping an old Android phone on the bars and running Trailforks. Want a purpose-built, durable, professional solution. (At least I'm saying that for now...)

Have it installed & calibrated (manual speed sensor setup). Have gone on a few rides with it, it's working, as is Garmin Connect, Trailforks, and Strava. Some things are going well, others not so much. Could use some pointers. Clearly I am doing something wrong...

The Good:
  1. The ability to ride and record my home trails and then race "against" myself virtually (since I usually ride alone).
  2. General durability, seems well-made. UI isn't terrible, mostly easy to use. Bit of a pain to configure settings however.
  3. Sending rides to Strava. Seems like a better app for tracking stuff than Garmin Connect. Not sure tho.
  4. Interoperability with Trailforks - find a route, add it to my favorites, sync with device. Neato.
  5. Battery life seems okay for what I'm going to need, especially at 50% brightness (fine for in the woods).
  6. Auto-Pausing works really well.
The Bad:
  1. Buggy firmware? Who knew! Wish I'd their support forum first. (Yes I'm running the latest release.)
  2. The screen is just about as small as I think I can tolerate. Bigger would be better but $$$.
  3. After a mostly positive experience yesterday, today I followed a course I set up and the thing was almost useless. (See below)
I ride Camden County College quite a bit (BITD & now); when I saw the Challenger MTB race route on Trailforks, I thought, PERFECT. Favorited/got it onto my Edge and went to ride it today.

Parked in Lot 7. Fired the unit up. Started the course, it asked me if I wanted to navigate to the beginning. I said no and dropped in like I always do, heading up to Cheeseman.

The unit almost immediately started bitching about me being off course (the 5.70 firmware was supposed to fix a navi bug), telling me to "make a U turn in XX feet" <= how dumb is that, I can just turn the bike around, I don't need to WAIT for a U-Turn, I'm not on a damn road. And, sorry, but - off course? I'M ON THE COURSE ACCORDING TO THE DISPLAY! lol

For at least PART of the day, I was able to follow what appeared to be the course, learning how to interpret its "guidance" - more like "suggestions," and you better not be going that fast. I realize that the GPS tech IS limited, it's in the woods with no clear view of the sky, I don't expect accuracy like I do in a car.

But for most of the day the unit was utterly confused. Eventually I started trying intentionally to piss it off by riding in random directions. That got old quick. I was imagining the "Mayhem Guy" saying "RECALCULATING!" haha.

Tomorrow I am heading to Black Run - but THIS TIME, I created the course in Garmin Connect via .GPX import from Trailforks. Will it matter? I don't know. I also re-created the Challenger course in the same way and may try it again tomorrow as CCC is on the way home.

If I have to spend $$$ for a higher-end unit, I might, but the damn thing better work perfectly and make me breakfast in the morning, I can't be buying "accessories" that cost many times what my damn bike is worth...

Thanks in advance for any help.

-kj-

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

tl;dr - tried to use my Garmin Edge 520 Plus with a custom course & it puked all over itself, wondering what to do now.

Hey everyone,

Picked up a Garmin Edge 520 Plus and a Speed Sensor after doing some research and comparison shopping for something basic with Navigation. Wanted to keep the total investment under $300 and nothing decent used was on eBay when I looked. Also considered the Wahoo Bolt but decided to go Garmin for now.

My reasons for getting a GPS: 1) improve my fitness level, generally [not to become a data nerd]; 2) find new trails that I believe I'll enjoy (suitable terrain/elevation/etc.) & load those as courses.

Not interested in slapping an old Android phone on the bars and running Trailforks. Want a purpose-built, durable, professional solution. (At least I'm saying that for now...)

Have it installed & calibrated (manual speed sensor setup). Have gone on a few rides with it, it's working, as is Garmin Connect, Trailforks, and Strava. Some things are going well, others not so much. Could use some pointers. Clearly I am doing something wrong...

The Good:
  1. The ability to ride and record my home trails and then race "against" myself virtually (since I usually ride alone).
  2. General durability, seems well-made. UI isn't terrible, mostly easy to use. Bit of a pain to configure settings however.
  3. Sending rides to Strava. Seems like a better app for tracking stuff than Garmin Connect. Not sure tho.
  4. Interoperability with Trailforks - find a route, add it to my favorites, sync with device. Neato.
  5. Battery life seems okay for what I'm going to need, especially at 50% brightness (fine for in the woods).
  6. Auto-Pausing works really well.
The Bad:
  1. Buggy firmware? Who knew! Wish I'd their support forum first. (Yes I'm running the latest release.)
  2. The screen is just about as small as I think I can tolerate. Bigger would be better but $$$.
  3. After a mostly positive experience yesterday, today I followed a course I set up and the thing was almost useless. (See below)
I ride Camden County College quite a bit (BITD & now); when I saw the Challenger MTB race route on Trailforks, I thought, PERFECT. Favorited/got it onto my Edge and went to ride it today.

Parked in Lot 7. Fired the unit up. Started the course, it asked me if I wanted to navigate to the beginning. I said no and dropped in like I always do, heading up to Cheeseman.

The unit almost immediately started bitching about me being off course (the 5.70 firmware was supposed to fix a navi bug), telling me to "make a U turn in XX feet" <= how dumb is that, I can just turn the bike around, I don't need to WAIT for a U-Turn, I'm not on a damn road. And, sorry, but - off course? I'M ON THE COURSE ACCORDING TO THE DISPLAY! lol

For at least PART of the day, I was able to follow what appeared to be the course, learning how to interpret its "guidance" - more like "suggestions," and you better not be going that fast. I realize that the GPS tech IS limited, it's in the woods with no clear view of the sky, I don't expect accuracy like I do in a car.

But for most of the day the unit was utterly confused. Eventually I started trying intentionally to piss it off by riding in random directions. That got old quick. I was imagining the "Mayhem Guy" saying "RECALCULATING!" haha.

Tomorrow I am heading to Black Run - but THIS TIME, I created the course in Garmin Connect via .GPX import from Trailforks. Will it matter? I don't know. I also re-created the Challenger course in the same way and may try it again tomorrow as CCC is on the way home.

If I have to spend $$$ for a higher-end unit, I might, but the damn thing better work perfectly and make me breakfast in the morning, I can't be buying "accessories" that cost many times what my damn bike is worth...

Thanks in advance for any help.

-kj-

View attachment 139379
View attachment 139380
The Challenger course and just riding CCC in general is very tight and twisty with a lot of turns and trails very close to each other. Add in the tree cover and it will create some confusion, and route tracking issues on the Garmin.

Makes sense. I’d imagine the White and Yellow trails at Black Run will have similar issues. We’ll know tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

Ok, I was just thinking / hoping that since the route was recorded for the Challenger MTB race that it would be somewhat reliable...for anyone doing the race to pre-ride...

Back
Top Bottom