GPS Devices

SpartaBard

kevindef said:
If you look around, you can probably find the GPSMap 60CSx for around $300. Then of course, you need software.............It is a compact GPS with GREAT GREAT reception.

Yeah I agree, I just posted the amazon prices there after a 2 second search to give a basic idea.

D

DANSPANK

I Had the 60cSX and the Edge 305

I initially bought the 60cSX in the summer and thought it was great - just bulky. I'd stick it in my backpack so that it was out of the way but found that inconvenient if you wanted to see where you were in terms of altitude, location and orientation. I purchased a handlebar mount but it jutted up and would've got damaged in a crash. As it happened, it popped out of the handlebar mount after a 2 foot drop-in and I spent the next 30 minutes looking for it!

I read about the Edge 305 and the online software motionbased.com. Since the 305 was compact and had the ability to let you race yourself whilst riding a familiar trail (it tells you how far behind/ahead you are at that point in comparison to your chosen training lap) was the selling point for me. I got the unit with the HR and cadence thing just so that I could see if I was getting fitter and pushing higher gears - I don't use it for serious training.

It's small size is great and I've not damaged it even though I've had a few good crashes - I still have a scar on my ankle from the Blue Mountain crash on Nov 5th! But the unit remained intact.

Peformance-wise I've only had one ride where I lost the signal for any serious amount of time - and it was irritating. The 60cSX probaby wouldn't have lost the signal.

My choice? I like to see my speed, elevation and all of that jazz as I'm riding so I prefer the 305 mounted on the stem. I'm not too concerned about having the inch-perfect trail marked down so inaccuracies aren't too much of an issue...

SpartaBard

The major advantage of the Delorme unit is their mapping software. Their Topo program comes standard w/ the GPS unlike other units, plus all of their other imagery as well as USGS 7.5' topos can be loaded and viewed on the gps.

The reception looks as good as the other units, within 3m 90% of the time with WAAS enabled. Plus, what also impresses me is the amount of information and support on their website. If you check out Magellan or Garmin , the info is minimal.

One minor issue is that Google Earth does not directly support this unit yet, but you can still export the info from Delorme's TOPO 6 program and then import the info into GE as a .gpx file. A few extra steps that is more annoying than anything else. Hopefully GE will support the unit eventually, but since it was just released and doesn't start shipping until today, it has a 0% market share.

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?segID=355&prodID=1249
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

SpartaBard

yeah, it is slightly more expensive, but when you factor in the cost of purchasing the topo maps for the other units its a better deal.

My major concern though is that it is a brand new unit, the bugs have probably not been completely worked out yet. Both Garmin and Magellan have been around for a while, and their units "should" be more reliable.

I am going to wait and see what the chatter is like on Delorme's forum as well as another gps forum.

http://forum.delorme.com/
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/

SpartaBard

Order Placed - Delorme Earthmate PN-20

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on my new GPS purchase. I ended up going with the Delorme Earthmate PN-20. It comes pre-loaded with Topo 6 unlike the other brands where you have to purchase their inferior topo software.

Delorme PN-20

PN20Demo.jpg

Shaggz

A strong 7
maybe colin. sarah should be sleeping soon. meg is at trader joe's with her sister and it's like a black hole opening when the two get together.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'll probably head over there with one of the road/light trail worthy bikes early this afternoon.

J-Dro

Brad, Any update on the GPS PN-20 yet? Have you had a chance to play with it yet? Is there a bike mount option for it?

SpartaBard

Brad, Any update on the GPS PN-20 yet? Have you had a chance to play with it yet? Is there a bike mount option for it?

First impressions of the PN-20 and TOPO USA v6

Pros:
-Amazing maps and detail, much better than the topo maps provided at an extra cost by garmin or magellan
-Ability to download satellite images onto handheld
-Ability to add your own trails to the Topo v6 program and make them routable
-Very customizable - can set up windows with the info you want
-No issues with reception...yet. Will have to check back once the leaves fill in on the trees, but I am able to get a 3d fix inside my house which is good.
-Customer service is infinitely better than Magellan.

Cons:
-It kind of looks like a toy (but isn't anyway?)
-A little bulky
-No barometric pressure, which means elevation is somewhat less accurate
-Since it is a new unit with very little market share, add-ons/accessories are limited, but I believe RAM makes a bike mount. Not too sure yet about mounting it on my bike. I will just stick it in my Camelbak for now.

Overall:

I love it. The combination of the maps and a smart, well thought out unit is unbeatable. It makes for a good all around gps unit.

Top Bottom