GPS buying advice needed

monfrair

I am looking for a GSP device to mount on the bike. I ride alone most of the time and would like to be able to just ride without having to worry about if I can find my way back. I looked at the edge by Garmin but it seems to be more of a trip computer than a GPS. I want to be able to just backtrack my ride. I need a unit with strong mapping and GSP. Can anyone help?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I don,t know how the search works on this site but somehow you should be able to find endless info in old threads. If you mount the garden state pkwy on your bike you're gonna be slow:rofl:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
LOL - yeah, but your legs will be HUGE in no time.

Buy an Edge 205/305 for the best value. Buy a 605/705 for lesser value, but (apparently) much better mapping. But I don't think bike trails are on these maps so IMO it's not worth it to pay for something that's probably not that useful.

Where do you ride? Hop on a few group rides and learn the parks you want to know. FWIW, the 205 will get you back to your car if you need it.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Anyone want to chime in regarding the Garmin Forerunner series GPS units, like the Forerunner 305 for a little less than the 205 mentioned? I've seen these on a few guys and they seem to do the trick if you don't mind wearing the unit.

SpartaBard

I am looking for a GSP device to mount on the bike. I ride alone most of the time and would like to be able to just ride without having to worry about if I can find my way back. I looked at the edge by Garmin but it seems to be more of a trip computer than a GPS. I want to be able to just backtrack my ride. I need a unit with strong mapping and GSP. Can anyone help?

The best mapping gps is the Delorme PN-20. I have it mounted to my handlebars. It comes with Delormes TopoUSA mapping program.

Delorme website

ellbiddy

I posted a review of the Garmin Forerunner 405:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6598

If you like to run/hike as well as bike this thing is awesome. I didn't want to run holding an edge 305 in my hand or with a pack to throw it in. It also works great for cycling I use it at 6MR all the time and I used at that woods hollow classic race, both times it was awesome. The latter gave me an idea of how far I had left when I needed it ;)

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I posted a review of the Garmin Forerunner 405:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6598

If you like to run/hike as well as bike this thing is awesome. I didn't want to run holding an edge 305 in my hand or with a pack to throw it in. It also works great for cycling I use it at 6MR all the time and I used at that woods hollow classic race, both times it was awesome. The latter gave me an idea of how far I had left when I needed it ;)

Excellent thanks and your review was good to read. Any idea what it lacks in comparison to the Edge 305/405 or is it simply a question of screen size/quality?

ellbiddy

I'm fairly certain that it's solely an issue of screen size and real estate, since I still have all the same data logged as people with an edge 205/305 (you can check the motionbased logs). The battery life is more than enough for anyone who does anything less than epic road rides ;). Like I said before, it's awesome for anyone that runs/hikes and bikes.

keithsly

The Edge 305 will allow you to do a ride and then through the software which it comes packaged with allows you to save it as a course / route (I can't remember the terminology) but anyway I have used it before and it will alert you when you are off course. It also allows you to race against yourself in a previous workout which is great training for Time Trials and such....

Just remember that there is an allowance to accuracy sometimes it varies...

I recommend the 305 because for not alot of extra coin you get heart rate which is also great for training if your a racer type....

Good Luck !!

keithsly

To answer the lost question.....

Other than Ringwood or Waywayanda how lost can you get in this state I mean we do live in NJ so if you are ever unsure of where to go stop at the closest Shopping Mall or Gas Station ....

But if you are worried about mapped out trials that I don't know if you'll ever get ... a GPS which will say "Make left at the next Tree".

As I've said in my previous post you can map out "Courses" and they will let you know when you have gone off course....

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
T
But if you are worried about mapped out trials that I don't know if you'll ever get ... a GPS which will say "Make left at the next Tree".

You can follow a route/course/history on a 605...it doesn't say "make left at the next tree", but it will say "make left in 20 yards"...or maybe it says "head north in 20 yards"...something like that... Dunno' what the 205/305 does...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
BTW, you can download the manuals for the edge's from garmin's site...you'll be able to see what you can and can't do with them from that...

Top Bottom