Got the fever

anrothar

entirely thrilled
perfect bike for it. on my chameleon(trials setup), i took off the dropout fitting and just ran the regular slotted dropouts with bmx chain tensioners. not sure how they set the dropouts up now. basically, all you need are cassette spacers. a popular way to build up the bikes is to have two cogs, one maybe 18t and one maybe 20t, then two middle chainrings, one 32 and one 34. makes it easy to switch into a harder gear for flats or roads. you'll need to take apart your cassette and use the spacers to line the cog up where you want it. there are commercially available aftermarket singlespeed specific cogs that are much more durable out there. you can either salvage the spacers from some old cassettes you have laying around, and feel a sense of pride that you finally get to use the junk you've been hanging on to for five years(or more) just in case, or buy some from your lbs.

TonyC

Hey Triple-B,
You'll need to remove all your shifters ;) just kidding
Why don't you ride your existing cassette and find out what rear cog you will need then go ahead and purchase one. You can swap the axle to threaded/bolts or keep the QR and buy a tugnut/chain tensioner.
You're done for now. :) Are you keeping the huge squish fork? Perhaps a burden once the trail turn up.

Post a pic once your done.

T.

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Triple-B said:
Ok, I'm thinking of going SS. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need ? any help is appreciated !!! :D

I found these sites on this FAQ were useful when I did my first SS a year or so ago:

http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

Sorry, its that "other site" ;) but its a good FAQ and it answers any question you can think of...

I use an old deraileur as a chain tensioner, which I got the idea from Bontrager's site which is list on the FAQ above. I love using old parts on my SS.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mergs,

I'm also in the long & slow process of converting an old bike into a SS. Unfortunately, the Keith Bontrager rant page has been removed from the site. And strangely, I can find no mention of if anywhere else online. I'm trying to find it on a Google archive but with no luck.

The derailleur as tensioner idea is something I'm looking to work with.

Norm

edit: This is somewhat useful:
http://www.socalmtb.com/messages/techtalk/messages/160310073057.htm

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
myself and jason both use the surly sigulator and both of us have had a few issues with it...mainly doing what it's supposed to do which is provide TENSION. i know that ytc100 uses a rennen which is apparently great. do some research if you go that route.

other than that, you need one little cog in the back, one big chain ring in the front and a few spacers. well, and legs...and lungs...but unfortunately you can't buy those. :D

ytc100

bonefishjake said:
myself and jason both use the surly sigulator and both of us have had a few issues with it...mainly doing what it's supposed to do which is provide TENSION. i know that ytc100 uses a rennen which is apparently great. do some research if you go that route.

other than that, you need one little cog in the back, one big chain ring in the front and a few spacers. well, and legs...and lungs...but unfortunately you can't buy those. :D

The rennen is working out well for me - no springs to deal with. It did take a little screwing around with to get the tension right upon initial setup and I also needed to move the pulley inboard by 1/8" by using a longer screw and some washers, but it has performed well.

Triple-B

Tony, Why would the nixon be a burden ??

Mergs, thanks for the info.
Norm, thanks also.
Bonefish,Thanks. My legs and lungs work great !! :D

I'm still adjusting to all the new stuff in riding and the lingo since I just got back into it.

Whats the typical rings used 32f 18r ? I don't have any old parts so I'd have to buy some used or new ones.

I'm also trying to decide if I should make a winter projuect out of this idea and buy a used HT frame and build it up for SS or just convert my lizard to SS and build up a FS bike using the parts from the lizard !!!! :confused:

If anyone can post a pic of there SS bikes so I can take a look at some stuff that would be appreciated ! ;)

Triple-B

Just called my LBS to ask if they had any SS parts for sale and the guy acted as if I asked him how his girl is in the sack !!! What is this the Al Qaeda movement of MTBing ???

Are there any companies that supply soley SS stuff ?

TonyC

Triple-B said:
Tony, Why would the nixon be a burden ??

Burden, bad choice of words.. no offense.. I should have researched the functions of your Nixon. I didn't realize that you can adjust your 6" travel on the fly/ handlebar IT travel adjust.. Looks pretty cool. The reason I said what I said was when I had a 5" Z1 on my Chameleon it was way to slack for most uphill climbs. I always had to reach down to adjust the travel. Pita.

I'm also trying to decide if I should make a winter projuect out of this idea and buy a used HT frame and build it up for SS or just convert my lizard to SS and build up a FS bike using the parts from the lizard !!!! :confused:

For the cost of a nice new FS frame you could buy a brand new SS, but if you want a FS bike you can make the Lizard a full rigid SS and get a FS frame for all your nice parts off the Chameleon.

Triple-B

Tony C, No offense was taken bro. I'm merely new to all this stuff so I need as much help as I can get. I think I'm just gonna look around for a SS bike or used HT frame and build it up this winter to an SS ride.
Who sells SS bikes ???

TonyC

cool. :)
Oh man, there are tons of SS manufacturers.
SS disc specific, SS canti/disc frame, EBB w/vertical dropouts, SS, and geared exchangable, Sliding dropouts..
If you check out the "other board" in Singlespeed forum on the top right they have FAQ link in orange. You could learn alot of stuff about SS.
Now to throw in another monkey wrench try reading about 29" wheel bikes. You'll then have the 29" craze in your head and you'll want one of those.
It would be nice to have a bike for all applications, huh?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I would highly reccomend the Surly Steel chainrings and cogs. I have tried a few others and these seem to be the best.

I run a 33 x 18 but I live in central NJ. I rode that gearing at Allamuchy and I was ok. I might say to start with a 32. You might also want a 19 cog just to play with.

We stock the 33,32,18,19 Surly cogs but we have 3 guys in our shop that ride singles. Most shops don't stock any of these items but they can get them all very easily.

The RaceFace bash Guard that takes the place of the big ring is worth getting. You won't need any special chainring bolts and you can bang that thing into logs without issue.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Triple-B said:
Jdog where is your shop(location & #) ?

been wondering the same. a local guy that actually stocks SS would be great. then my wife could really kill me. :D

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Also, you might want to consider a Redline Monocog or Monocog 29er. Great bike, stock price is about $450 or $470 for the 29er.

I personally built up a Single Speed out of a spare aluminum frame -- I had so much fun on it, I sold it to a guy I work with and I ended up purchasing a used Bianchi SISS from a guy in Chester. Steel is a great material for the SS.

Right now I am borrowing a Surly Karate Monkey 29er SS from a friend -- oh man, when I replace my SISS, it is going to be with a 29er! It rolls over a lot of stuff and it is great fun to ride. It looks a bit clownish because of the tire size, but the ride more than makes up for it.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Hey!!

My shop is in South Brunswick. We are right on Route one about 1/2 way between Princeton and NewBrunswick.

I just got in 4 more Haro Mary 29er SS's Yesterday. (every size in stock as of today). This is my favorite new bike! $850. Really a great deal for what it is.

I also have been stocking the Cannondale 1fg. (Med and XL in stock today.)

I have done many White Industries ENO ecentric conversions lately and I would say that this is the best way to make a single out of an old hardtai. NO bouncing chains, pulley noise or dropped chains.

I also have what I consider a PRIMO single speed trail ten minutes from the shop. The trail is called 6-Mile run. (don't be fooled, it is more like 14 miles of trail). I have been doing my fair share of trail work lately and I am always up to give a tour.

I would love to get a all singlespeed ride going one day. Any takers??

Thanks

J_

Halters Cycles

4095 Route One Suite 38 Monmouth Junction NJ 08852
732-329-9022

we sell..

Cannondale
Giant
Haro
Seven
Surly
Redline
Raceface
Mavic
Magura
Easton
Fizik
King
Crank Bros
FSA
SRAM
Ergon
Hutchinson
WTB
and more..

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
jdog

I'm up for the ride just got one of my guys on my old ss frame and he is always willing to try new trails. I can even use the ride as an excuse to stop and pick up some fat cats.
If you are ever up in north jersey we have some ss freindly trails * and good post ride burgers and $2 PBRs

*disclaimer all trails to me are ss freindly

Top Bottom