Gore Ride-On cables (sealed)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So. I've put these cables on my cyclocross bike when I built it up. I bought them on because it's a Seven, and you don't cheap out on the details when you build a Seven. Sure they are smooth and make my brakes and gears feel flawless. But other than a few rides in the rain, followed by a few quasi-muddy days at 6-Mile, I've never truly felt they were any different than a standard XTR or Dura-Ace set-up. That is, until after this weekend at the USGP where they held up during the most brutal muddy conditions you could ever face!!

n1291834825_172936_6665.jpg

My gears worked 100% throughout the entire race. Not matter how much mud clogged into the rear of my bike, it shifted flawlessly. Same thing with my brakes. The cables didn't feel any different than when I was riding around in the parking lot before the race.

n1291834825_172934_6256.jpg

So they worked perfect even in these conditions. But that's not what really got me. After hosing off my bike and getting all the mud out of the nooks and crannies, normally I'd pull the cables to clean them and re-lube them, sometimes replace them. Not this time. No sir. Set it and forget it. They look like and feel like new. Smooth like butter. Some of you guys raced Sunday, what do your cables feel like right now? So go get them. Make sure the only excuse you have out there is yourself and not your equipment, don't be the egg-master;)

-Jim.

The Kalmyk

They work really well...I would say it is one of those invest you will thank yourself for doing...Great product

J-Dro

Standard shifter cables feel fine when they are new but get gummed up over time. The Gore cables shift perfect month after month no matter what rain/mud mix you throw at them.

Oh Jim, your chain could use some lube.:p

ArmyOfNone

O I was thanking the good lord that I had those cables on my bike! I have been keeping up pretty well on maintaining my ride. Not having to worry about shifting makes things all the better.

BiknBen

No. That's the new lube I'm using. It's 100% organic and contains no harmful chemicals to destroy the environment.

You may want to revisit your choice of lube. At the rate you are using it, you are going to drain our resources of dirt.

After the Sunday race, I cleaned the bike at the car with a wash kit and a small water sprayer. Well....I still need to get the hose out and finish it off. :(

syadasti

Wet Rag
I used them about 10 years ago and they worked great.

I heard they were becoming available again this year and tried to get them for my BLT2 this summer but had no luck.

Completely unnecessary though if more companies adopt full length cables - after all its an MTB, not a road bike.

I think Gary Fisher is even doing full length now - see the new Roscoe.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
After the Sunday race, I cleaned the bike at the car with a wash kit and a small water sprayer. Well....I still need to get the hose out and finish it off. :(

I built some sweet jumps in my front yard with all the dirt I cleaned off my bike:D

-Jim.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
I built some sweet jumps in my front yard with all the dirt I cleaned off my bike:D

-Jim.

I saw more than one rider dunk their bikes (and bodies) in the lake at Mercer. One guy completely sumerged his bike! :hmmm: nothing beats a squirt bottle a brush and some good ole' fashion elbow grease ... or having a boyfriend who is also a clean freak and a bicycle mechanic :D

R to the C ... Game on :)

Top Bottom