Google maps or waze?

wonderturtle

I had been using google maps for navigation while driving for years but everyone was telling me that waze was much better.

So I gave waze a try. Liked it at first. But quickly grew to dislike it. All of the icons and graphics... yuck. And then the pop-up ads (are you kidding me!?).

Back to google maps. Gets the job done.

I will miss the “boy band” voice instructions. Made me laugh. Sooo stupid/funny.

Thoughts?

Google I find has much better mapping. There were times where I set Waze home and drove my usual way and it kept trying to recalculate constantly as if it thought some road doesn't exist. Google usually always gives me more route options to select from as well. Waze really seems to try to stick to the 'fastest' route being highways.

I hated Waze when I first tried it years back for the same reasons you mentioned, but it's AWESOME on Apple CarPlay as it's on a larger screen, and also being able to see and report shit on a safer-to-access-while-driving touch screen. I don't think I'd ever use it on the phone as the dumb graphics take up the entire screen and stick to Google Maps for the non-CarPlay trips. That being said, there are times I'll run both with Google in the foreground and Waze reporting the men in blue over the speakers.

...I don't think I'd ever use it on the phone as the dumb graphics take up the entire screen...

and I have a smallish phone too so the stupid graphics make it really hard to follow.

google effectively and simply conveys the level of traffic up ahead (red, orange, green) that maybe? shows up on a larger screen in waze but does not on my phone. google also gives you better alternative routes IMHO.

I find a lot of the info on waze is unnecessary. warning about "obstructions?". warnings about cars on the side of the road....just useless info. even the cop warnings arent much use for me personally as I dont drive faster than the average driver.

I'll miss the boy band voice tho ;) if you havent tried it Id highly recommend. put a little levity into my hell commutes

I thought I read somewhat that google bought out Waze and uses their crowd source data for their app as well
Google bought Waze a while back to wipe out competition I'm sure, otherwise Facebook or somebody else would have likely snatched it up. I would hope that they pull data from both apps to make their traffic better with a larger user base.

Google Maps all day, err day. Fiancee swears by Waze, but I hate that it tries to route you around every traffic light.

Waze

But ya need to keep an eye on it. Got some funk when it comes to turns, and maps to the closest center of property, rather than location of driveway

Po-po reported ahead.

Both of our cars have Apple CarPlay, and Mrs. G will often run GM over Waze when she's in charge of navigation. Apparently you can set Waze to talk in Cookie Monster's voice, which scared the shit out of me the first time she put it on.

Myself, Google Maps is all I need.

Both of our cars have Apple CarPlay, and Mrs. G will often run GM over Waze when she's in charge of navigation. Apparently you can set Waze to talk in Cookie Monster's voice, which scared the shit out of me the first time she put it on.

Myself, Google Maps is all I need.

ha my brother was telling me about this, I might have to try it one day for the kid, she's quite the sesame street fan.

Google Maps all the way. I assume they use the same background data since they're the same company now but i have no idea. GM is just so much more no nonsense than Waze. In my experience, it seems that older people swear by Waze for some reason (i.e. my parents and in-laws). At least we can all agree not to use Apple Maps.

google, waze has a 30 second delay which could mean missing an exit where traffic has been building up.... looking at you rt 80 exits after 202/46 exits heading west

I never use my phone for in-car navigation, but both my sons do. They both insist the table has turned with Apple Maps now better than Google - in accuracy and live traffic.

i go back and forth, waze actually routes you around changing traffic conditions, google maps doesnt. It doesnt even show alternate routes all the time, just wants to keep you going on your way (iv had it where i got off the highway to make a stop and my google maps time went DOWN by like 25 minutes, waze has never done that and always seems to be right on).

i prefer google maps if traffic isnt an issue tho since it has lane selection and a couple other things. Maps has recently added speed limit displays (i like to know how big a ticket risk im taking) which was another draw for me to waze.

I have no strong opinion but we have used Apple, Google, and Waze. @shrpshtr325 - Google changes routes for us. Surprised to read you say that.

But cookie monster? If this is true, I am definitely going with this one.

Back
Top Bottom