Google Earth WTF!!!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
google seems to have updated the photography for our area. unfortunately they've done it with summer images. with the old fall images, you could see almost every trail. it was pretty much 90% of my reason for using it. i like being able to see where the new developments are, kind of. i say kind of because i can barely see them through the friggen trees. help. how do i get the old images back?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I was wondering when they were gonna' update the photos...the ones that were there were pushing 5 years old; the new A&P was under construction in those pictures.

They're a slightly lesser resolution than what was there too. Previously, the resolution was good enough to where I could tell which of my cars was parked where--no longer...

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
Yeah, just noticed this the other day. Does suck that you can't see anything, but I think it's worse that the resolution got really crappy...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The old aerials that google earth/maps and live.com were using were purchased from New Jersey state and were the 2002 aerials. When the state take aerials photos, they are taken in the late fall through early spring since there are no leaves on the trees. Since then, google and microsoft have been trying to one up the others map data and have been buying up aerials/paying companies to take new aerials photos. Since they just want the latest crap, they don't care when the pictures are taken. The state is getting ready to realease another statewide aerial set and hopefully google with snacth them up. I beleieve they are due for release in April.

Glancing Aft

this has been killing me at work since I frequently use google earth for a general reconnaissance. The new photos are absolutely worthless. I imagine that enough people will complain that they will do a new fly over soon.
Thankfully Live's bird eye view is all taken in the fall/spring so that's your best bet for now.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
to hell with google earth. get topofusion.

http://www.topofusion.com/

apparently a mtb'er has a large part in it's writing and selling as well, so it's going back into the mtb community.

i just got mine and the topo feature rules.

Glancing Aft

I use the windows live local a lot for work and it's great for doing some basic recon on a site. However I don't find it as useful as the old Google Earth images for mountain biking type stuff. The reason being, because you're looking at it from an isometric view, it because really difficult to see trails running through the woods. All you see are trees. With the old google earth stuff it was really easy to see fire roads and sometimes even hiking/biking trails. I even found some new trails I'd never been on with google earth.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I use the windows live local a lot for work and it's great for doing some basic recon on a site. However I don't find it as useful as the old Google Earth images for mountain biking type stuff. The reason being, because you're looking at it from an isometric view, it because really difficult to see trails running through the woods. All you see are trees. With the old google earth stuff it was really easy to see fire roads and sometimes even hiking/biking trails. I even found some new trails I'd never been on with google earth.

Yeah, the live site would be better if the pics were taken in the winter.

Top Bottom