Google Earth/GPS

anrothar

entirely thrilled
post all of your Google Earth KMZ files and gps trail maps/overlays here. let's get a comprehensive and interactive new jersey area trail map going. as soon as my gps arrives i'll go test it out on some of the local trails and post up.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
some are, some aren't. and those that are, you need to search for them. and what about all the trails that aren't in a park? mahlon dickerson is puny compared to the amount of trails in all the other wooded areas in jefferson and sparta. same with waywayanda and west milford.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Gotcha.

I have a Garmin Rino 100, w/o the usb cable. I don't even know what the capabilities are with that thing or if it would serve much of any purpose other than recording a route and using it the next time, or to get back to the car.

Shaggz

A strong 7
the garmin 305 look spretty cool. built in cyclometer and heart rate monitor, plus it mounts to the top of the handlebar stem

anrothar

entirely thrilled
if you can record the route, you can overlay it on google earth. it's pretty cool. i did a search and apparently jay already tried starting two of these threads. i'll link em here.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435&highlight=.kmz
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1827

here's a few from this site and others:

All-A-Muchy course, 2006
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=645424

several Mahlon Dickerson trails
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434

some railtrails. paulinskill, sussex branch, and lackawanna cutoff.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=342&d=1159715314

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i just put in for one of them at Rt 15 Bicycles Steve. i figure it'll be great for me since i'm gonna start getting all geeky about training.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
one of my buddies has that garmin unit...i've seen the data and it's pretty slick. would love to get one, but that's A LOT of cake.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The 305 is sick. You can record yourself on a known route, then race yourself again on another day. Crazy.

The Rino 110 may or may not be able to any/all of that. My lame attempts to find out resulted in nothing.

Shaggz

A strong 7
sean, you ordered the 305? - VERY COOL

check out www.geoladders.com - you can post your trails and look at other race courses and trails. you can "race" others who have ridden the same courses by posting your gps data, and it will give you real point comaprisons to the whole trail, and even down to certain sections.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yeah, it's pretty crazy the amount of info it processes, even breaking down what your heart rate was at any given point of the ride. i'm assuming the gps on it will produce those kmz files.

edit: oh wow, just checked out geoladders. didn't look like there was anyything for the east coast, but it's gotta start somewhere. very cool, and it looks like the 305 will produce similar route overlays to what i've seen you guys post up here.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would love to have every intersection at Allamuchy marked with coordinates. How sweet would that be?

By any chance, do you know how long the rail trail ride is that would connect KVSP and Allamuchy?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it's about half of the total distance of 21 miles, so i would guess about 10 from the waterloo rd parking lot to the goodale rd parking lot. might be a good idea for a long day. connect the two parks... would definitely keep the legs warm, and the light spin would help for a quick recovery from whichever one rode first.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Between those 2 parks, and Deer Park - which I think you can get to from the North section with a single road crossing - you could assuredly string together 100 miles in a day. Granted, the fire roads in Wilderness/Shenendoah/etc aren't usually flat. But it's still a good way to get in some serious miles.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i checked out the photos, and there several road sections in several of those 100 milers, so it wouldn't be wasted miles by any means, riding the rail trail.

like i was saying this morning though, if you incorporate the game areas, you could easily put together a 100 mile loop out of mahlon with just a few road crossing. and the terrain would probably be much closer to the trails of those races, which are only partly on nice, well ridden trails like the mooch or kittatiny.

once i get my gps i'll work on mapping them out, then figure out a solid loop.

D

DANSPANK

I've got the 305 with the cadence and heart rate thing. It's pretty cool really. I mapped out "Jason's Loop" at Lewis Morris as my training loop and then raced myself next time I was there. i beat myself by 1minute 10 seconds!! And I used 1700 calories. That's like 4 Fudddrucker burgers! I don't quite believe the calorie counter but the rest of the data it collects is pretty cool: heart rates in the hills, gradients, speeds, cadence etc.

As well as geoladders there's another site, owned by Garmin, called motionbased.com You can upload all of your goodies to it to see satellite overviews and stuff. you can also select all of your rides on one course and watch a while bunch of you's race each other as little dots zipping around on the trail. Pretty fun!

Anyway, going back to the theme of the thread. It would be great to list the kmz files in the trail directories as opposed to this one thread since you're more likely to find a train from the directory than in this thread. I think some are already posted...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i was thinking more along the lines of both in the trail dir. and in this thread. that way a person could either look for a specific trail, or add new maps to their personal google earth directory as they come in, without having to search through the trail dir. whatever though. i'm gonna start posting mine here as soon as i get my 305 up and running. probably tomorrow night for the first one.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
8.6 mile mahlon loop. overlaps one of the other files for most of it's distance.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
some of the trails off of berkshire valley road. all of these trails can be connected to mahlon. i'll fill in the missing sections next week.

Last edited:

ryderX

anrothar said:
i checked out the photos, and there several road sections in several of those 100 milers, so it wouldn't be wasted miles by any means, riding the rail trail.

like i was saying this morning though, if you incorporate the game areas, you could easily put together a 100 mile loop out of mahlon with just a few road crossing. and the terrain would probably be much closer to the trails of those races, which are only partly on nice, well ridden trails like the mooch or kittatiny.

once i get my gps i'll work on mapping them out, then figure out a solid loop.
I've done Shenandoah 100 and Wilderness 101, and trust me, there's nothing around here that comes even close to those courses. A 100 miles around here would equate to 50 miles of either one of those races. The climbs are looonnnggg and endless and steep like you wouldn't believe. IMHO the SM 100 and Wilderness 101 are harder than the Leadville 100, (discounting the little issue of no oxygen). I'm doing a major Allamuchy loop tomorrow and all are welcome.

Top Bottom