Google Earth/GPS

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the thing is great. i'm a map geek, so getting to actually make the maps is soo friggen cool for me. when i was in my teens, i had a pretty good map of all the trails within riding distance of my house, drawn in pencil onto a fold up state map.

SpartaBard

Well there are certainly a lot of trails to map out around here. If you need any help gps-ing any of the areas let me know.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
fair hill county park, maryland. awesome, awesome singletrack. highly recommended.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
brad, feel free to explore and post your maps up. by all means. i plan on eventually getting up and mapping the wma's off of edison, but will be concentrating on the valley and slightly northeast first.

SpartaBard

ok, I have pgs data on the trails that took in Sparta Mtn WMA during our ride. I will post it here when I get home.

It sure would be nice to have complete GPS coverage of our area.

Magellan is coming out with a "Crossover" gps in the next month or so, that will be a 3.5" screen sufficent for auto use, but can also load topo map coverage. I am considering upgrading to that when it comes out, assuming it has sufficient accuracy.

SpartaBard

Sparta Mtn

Here are two files I have of the region.

I have two recommendations...

What do you think about placing waypoints at every intersection in the area?
Also, you have a lot of path marked out that is actually on the road, do you think its worthwhile to stop the gps at that point so that you only plot out the actual trails?

Last edited:

ryderX

Luddite question...

Why the need/want to log and pinpoint every intersection and trail in Northern NJ ? It's more of a rhetorical question than not, but it seems to lessen the sense of adventure and fun (for me). Obviously we are talking about NJ here, but there is still some sense of isolation and adventure when your in these areas. The thought of every possible trail loop or route being readily accessible and mapped kinda lowers the experience. Again it's only my opinion, which I've been told means absolutely nadda. I can appreciate some mapping or waypoints, though the secondary and tertiary trails should just be left "unto the unknown".
Letting the flaming begin.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i can definitely see that point of view, but as has been mentioned before, i am a map geek. i want to be able to look at google earth and see for sure where all those trails i pick out in the woods go. now granted, i both intend to and could just ride them all myself and keep the gps info, but i think it has it's uses. say you want to set up a long ride in unfamiliar territory, but would prefer not to get lost. or, you see a trail off the side of the road, and wonder wether it goes somewhere cool, maybe connecting to some trails you know, or just dead ends into a swamp. but mostly it's because i really like maps, and little squiggly lines.

SpartaBard

RyderX, no flamming is necessary here, we actually have polite conversations unlike some other boards. ;)

I am really just referring to the immediate area surrounding Mahlon Dickerson in Sparta and Jefferson, not all of northern NJ. Really just involving Sparta Mtn WMA, Weldon Brook WMA and Berkshire Valley WMA, which is still a huge amount of land, but at least locating the major intersection would serve some purpose.

Also, for people who do not like looking at maps and prefer to get a little lost, then do not look at them.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But what if I have an obsession with looking at maps, combined with a photographic memory. Yet I want to get lost? What to do?!?!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i could throw a brick at your head every time you look at one of our trail maps, for a small fee. i don't know if it would induce amnesia in regards to the map in question, but there's really only one way to find out....

:D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
kittatiny, parts of allamuchy and deer park, and the sussex branch connecting allamuchy and kvsp:

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good deal. Thanks.

Looks like a very cool ride you guys did today.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
more trails in wma/watershed/private property(see below) connected to mahlon.

the trails that fall in private property are in fact mostly legal. the main trails running through there are old roads, easements. they are legal right-of-ways. the secondary trails are in fact tresspassing and illegal. some of these are included in the map below. i would recommend against any unnecessary riding in any of these areas during hunting season. some members of the hunting club that leases and 'manages' the land were out sighting in/having target practice today while i was riding. most of these guys are responsible, and as far as i know there has never been an incident of accidental shooting in those woods. but still... best judgement would lead you to use these trails sparingly and wisely.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

Hey anrothar,

I was out in Weldon Brook WMA today with the intent of getting some good data for you, but with all the water vapor in the air I had no GPS reception. I may have to upgrade to your unit.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the new antennas they have are incredible. i have never lost the sattelite connection while on the trail. in houses i lose it, but that's it.

Top Bottom