Google Earth, GPS and Mapping

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There are a ton of locations in NJ that still do not have accurate maps. It's a constant struggle of mine and I've been wanting to put my GPS to some good use.

I only had one route saved in my eTrex but take a look. Once the tree cover thins out a bit in the fall I'm going to start mapping a few spots and hopefully provide some maps.

Here are some samples

N

njalex

My ride at Mahlon

Jay - How did you get the trail line so thick on your pics?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I think it's because I'm zoomed in so far. I have to play around with it more to see if I can change the color, size, etc. That's an awsome loop at Mahlon! Did you ever go across the street?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
That is awesome! It also explains why there is no loop - :lol: :lol:

Also strange how my GPS shut off near the overlook. :lol:

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I had a chance to play around with Google Earth some more using Alex's data. You can control the color, width and opacity of the lines by editing your tracks.

N

njalex

Jay - That looks cool! I'll have to get into Google Earth some more.

I was going to go to Blue Mountain tomorrow (or hit a trail maint) but this rain is really going to kill the weekend. I'm not really into mud biking. :p

The GPS has been working pretty good so far. Reception has been great. I really struggled when I was doing my research but am happy with the one I chose.

N

njalex

As far as Mahlon - I THINK I went the wrong way. There were a few guys that were going in the direction I came from and told me that basically I was going the "hard way". Unfortunately for me, I already came up Mt. Everest. Along the way up I was think of a new sport - mountain bike walking. LOL! :lol:

N

njalex

Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Just got the City Select mapping DVD yesteday so I'll see how good it is at mapping and routing.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jay - were you able to accurately calculate the mileage of the allamuchy hike-a-bike from the GPS?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
njalex said:
Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Just got the City Select mapping DVD yesteday so I'll see how good it is at mapping and routing.

That thing is no joke!!!

smarencik said:
jay - were you able to accurately calculate the mileage of the allamuchy hike-a-bike from the GPS?

I'll look into that when I get home from work later on.

-jay

Shaggz

A strong 7
Jason said:
njalex said:

That thing is no joke!!!

That is sweet - check this one out!

http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60cs.htm#info

smarencik said:

-jay

You are at work? You are a mad man!

B

bdpeter

I have a 276c, and I can't get it to work w/Google Earth Pro. It just sits there 'importing data from USB', and nothing ever happens.

time to do more research on GEarth!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Jason said:
smarencik said:

-jay

Looks like it was about a mile in each direction.

smarencik said:
You are at work? You are a mad man!
Yeah, today was sucky. Woke up and the basement was flooded. I knew it would be from the way things were going last night. Had to goto work in teterboro and that was totally flooded. Almost couldn't get into the office.

Top Bottom