Google Earth, GPS and Mapping

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There are a ton of locations in NJ that still do not have accurate maps. It's a constant struggle of mine and I've been wanting to put my GPS to some good use.

I only had one route saved in my eTrex but take a look. Once the tree cover thins out a bit in the fall I'm going to start mapping a few spots and hopefully provide some maps.

Here are some samples

N

njalex

My ride at Mahlon

Jay - How did you get the trail line so thick on your pics?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I think it's because I'm zoomed in so far. I have to play around with it more to see if I can change the color, size, etc. That's an awsome loop at Mahlon! Did you ever go across the street?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
That is awesome! It also explains why there is no loop - :lol: :lol:

Also strange how my GPS shut off near the overlook. :lol:

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I had a chance to play around with Google Earth some more using Alex's data. You can control the color, width and opacity of the lines by editing your tracks.

N

njalex

Jay - That looks cool! I'll have to get into Google Earth some more.

I was going to go to Blue Mountain tomorrow (or hit a trail maint) but this rain is really going to kill the weekend. I'm not really into mud biking. :p

The GPS has been working pretty good so far. Reception has been great. I really struggled when I was doing my research but am happy with the one I chose.

N

njalex

As far as Mahlon - I THINK I went the wrong way. There were a few guys that were going in the direction I came from and told me that basically I was going the "hard way". Unfortunately for me, I already came up Mt. Everest. Along the way up I was think of a new sport - mountain bike walking. LOL! :lol:

N

njalex

Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Just got the City Select mapping DVD yesteday so I'll see how good it is at mapping and routing.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jay - were you able to accurately calculate the mileage of the allamuchy hike-a-bike from the GPS?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
njalex said:
Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Just got the City Select mapping DVD yesteday so I'll see how good it is at mapping and routing.

That thing is no joke!!!

smarencik said:
jay - were you able to accurately calculate the mileage of the allamuchy hike-a-bike from the GPS?

I'll look into that when I get home from work later on.

-jay

Shaggz

A strong 7
Jason said:
njalex said:

That thing is no joke!!!

That is sweet - check this one out!

http://gpsnow.com/gmmap60cs.htm#info

smarencik said:

-jay

You are at work? You are a mad man!

B

bdpeter

I have a 276c, and I can't get it to work w/Google Earth Pro. It just sits there 'importing data from USB', and nothing ever happens.

time to do more research on GEarth!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Jason said:
smarencik said:

-jay

Looks like it was about a mile in each direction.

smarencik said:
You are at work? You are a mad man!
Yeah, today was sucky. Woke up and the basement was flooded. I knew it would be from the way things were going last night. Had to goto work in teterboro and that was totally flooded. Almost couldn't get into the office.