Good shop to demo skiis from

ellbiddy

So I've decided to diversify my ski selection and wanted to go out and try on as many as I can to find some awesome "specific" skiis instead of just the continual trend of getting all-mountain skiis. The only shop that is really close that I know of is pelican (no idea what their demo policy is) I'm in North Brunswick. Anything 30 minutes or so (preferably north) would be ideal. Time to get a LSS in addition to the LBS :p

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I demo'd a set at pelican once. I went to shawnee and on about the 3rd run the front binding broke off and I crashed. First and only time I have seen a binding rip out of a ski in my 28 years of skiing. I went to the rental shop at shawnee and the guy laughed. He said "let me guess....pelican?" I said "yes" He told me that it was a pretty common occurance. He then gave me set of rentals for 1/2 price since he felt bad. Pelican was good about it, they game me my money back for the demos, a free lift ticket and refunded my rental cost. I bought my current skis from them and no problems after 6 years. But just take a look at the demos and make sure they are not too hammered before taking them out.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I've decided to diversify my ski selection and wanted to go out and try on as many as I can to find some awesome "specific" skiis instead of just the continual trend of getting all-mountain skiis. The only shop that is really close that I know of is pelican (no idea what their demo policy is) I'm in North Brunswick. Anything 30 minutes or so (preferably north) would be ideal. Time to get a LSS in addition to the LBS :p

I would recomend looking for mountains with demo days. They usually have the up-to date stuff that people want to try out. If you know the "specific" skis you want to try out look at the manufacturers website and seef if they are demo-ing anywhere, or ask them. I don't think you will have much luck w/ski shops in NJ.

Gregg

Demos

I work for Ski Barn in Lawrenceville but you will have difficult time finding a local shop with demo level skis as we are just too far from the mountains. If you have an idea of what you want to try drop by and let me know I'll find out when the reps will have their product on snow. It is getting a little late for this year(next week is the industry demo in Stratton for next years product) but I can always make a few calls. If you don't know about our store we carry most of the top brands in equipment, clothing and accessories. We also hire a dedicated staff that uses the products we sell. Between myself and two of the other boot fitters we have about 60 years experience in the ski business.

Sorry to be so long winded in this reply but aside from bikes, skiing is my passion. Just let me know if we can help you out. Good Luck Gregg

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I work for Ski Barn in Lawrenceville but you will have difficult time finding a local shop with demo level skis as we are just too far from the mountains. If you have an idea of what you want to try drop by and let me know I'll find out when the reps will have their product on snow. It is getting a little late for this year(next week is the industry demo in Stratton for next years product) but I can always make a few calls. If you don't know about our store we carry most of the top brands in equipment, clothing and accessories. We also hire a dedicated staff that uses the products we sell. Between myself and two of the other boot fitters we have about 60 years experience in the ski business.

Sorry to be so long winded in this reply but aside from bikes, skiing is my passion. Just let me know if we can help you out. Good Luck Gregg

Skiing Wednesday? Let me know. Maybe we can even get Ton to come.

Gregg

Wednesday...

Gary,

I'm off Tuesday this week and next week is the SIA demo at Stratton. I'll let you know my schedule for the following week and we'll try to go. Good idea to bring Tony it would make for some comic relief. :scared:

ellbiddy

Gregg,
Hmph, interesting! deciding where to funnel money between bikes and skis is tough heh

I was really looking to try the Volkl AC30/40's maybe the 50 if the 40's are hard to come by since they're on the way out the door, Head IM78's and if there's enough fresh snow as opposed to the usual maybe a longer length of the Solly Fury's. At this point I have a bit of a list of the skis I want to demo, but those are at the top of the list. I'm also in dire need of new pair of nice fitting boots. Maybe I'll swing by sometime soon.

Edit: I also wouldn't mind trying the tigersharks with that power-switch stuff assuming it's not just some sort of gimmick :p

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Gregg,
Hmph, interesting! deciding where to funnel money between bikes and skis is tough heh

I was really looking to try the Volkl AC30/40's maybe the 50 if the 40's are hard to come by since they're on the way out the door, Head IM78's and if there's enough fresh snow as opposed to the usual maybe a longer length of the Solly Fury's. At this point I have a bit of a list of the skis I want to demo, but those are at the top of the list. I'm also in dire need of new pair of nice fitting boots. Maybe I'll swing by sometime soon.

Edit: I also wouldn't mind trying the tigersharks with that power-switch stuff assuming it's not just some sort of gimmick :p

The ski shop at Hunter has a decent selection of demos. I think they also carry all the brands you are interested in.

Gregg

Demos

Ellbiddy,

The AC 40's were not produced this year the gave way for the AC50, but the Tiger Shark 12 is a close option(AC40 82mm waist TS12 79mm). The AC30 is a great all mountain ski for a skier based in the east(good on hard pack but still good float in powder). I'll report back about the AC50's I'll be on them Monday. Most of what I've been skiing even here on the east coast has been 80mm and above it it's great on hard pack and stable in crud. One of my current favorites is the Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel. It's at my house and I don't know if the rep is getting it back. Stop by or call me at the shop if you have any questions. Today is my last day at work before leaving for VT for our ski test. Gotta love my job.:D

ellbiddy

Well I'll take my current pair of sticks and go on a small tour was going to do something similar to:

belleayre/hunter 2/24
Sugarbush 2/25
Sugarloaf 2/26 + 2/27

Should be a fun little road trip.

Glancing Aft

Do it up for sure! And make sure to check out Paradise (hike up from the top of the single and keep traversing to the left). Hands down the best inbounds ski run on the east coast! http://www.madriverglen.com/maps/iMapLarge.php

Taken at Mad River in '07,
DSC_4842.jpg

DSC_4795.jpg

DSC_4818.jpg

Top Bottom