Good pair of shoes for Flatform Pedals

N

nismosr

I don't used clip on pedals and I don't think I ever could, I'm using a NB 470 Trail shoes. Can i wear mt bike shoes with flat form pedals? or do you have any recommendations. Thank You

southernerinnj

I don't used clip on pedals and I don't think I ever could,

Don't say you could never use clipless shoes or pedals. Everything can be accomplished with practice. Are you going to fall a couple time when you first use them? YES we all have, but the benefit far outweighs it! Since you are in Edison make the trip down to Halter's J I'm sure would show you how to use them and set you up with something you will comfortable using and clipping out of.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I know alot of people including myself that for years said the same thing,we are now completely opposite I personally have a hard time with out my clipless.
try them out you will be surprised at the power and control difference that they make...you will find yourself clearing more hills to start with and not getting as leg weary on the longer rides.
just my 2 cents worth

N

nismosr

Thank you for the encouragement on using clip less pedals now which pedals would you guys recommend that's easy to clip in and out for a beginner.

southernerinnj

Thank you for the encouragement on using clip less pedals now which pedals would you guys recommend that's easy to clip in and out for a beginner.

Like I said before the best thing you can do is go by Halters J and the crew can give you the best advice on pedals and cleats for beginners.

Most likely though they will steer you towards the Shimano SPD's they are great pedals with adjustable release which is nice for beginners.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was the same way you were. I ended up getting the Shimano SPD's and could not ride without them. I had them 100% loose to get started. I found myself more confident with the pedals. I slowly tightened them, since I was pulling myself out of the pedal, and I haven't looked back since. I have them on my road and mountain bike. Best "bike mod" you can do for you and your bike.

Even after all this "you will be better" talk, I rode on skateboard shoes (Nike SB dunks) for a year and they were fine. I do not miss bashing my shins on those meat tenderizers anymore though!

MTBTyler

For flats- I ware chucks and they sucks. You need a skater shoe like Vans. I have had good luck with Adio.
Clipless- Go for it if you climb hills and do very technical stuff. Get the cheap shimano petals. and ask for cleats that are easier to pop out of. As far as shoes. Get whatever fits good.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
When I goof around on my stoopid bike I ride Etnies, they is sticky son:D

For off-road, just go clipless like everyone says. You won't die, I promise;)

-Jim.

don

I know everyone is saying "go clipless son" but if you feel good with flats then I'd say keep going with them. You'll learn things like how to bunnyhop correctly and not stress when things get tech. And you can be like Bob Hannah and dangle a foot out and in front when going thru a berm :) I may not be as efficient as with a clipless setup but I can ride everything and more with flats.

The 5.10's are supposed to be really sticky and even tho I haven't used them, people that know what they are talking about have given them good marks.

I personally use some old Etnies Mike Vallely on my sussy trail bike. Work well but my pedals are wicked grippy. On my DJ rig, I use Orchids which work well too.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
but if you feel good with flats then I'd say keep going with them.

i agree with don. clipless are great - no doubt. they are efficient. i actually went back to flats recently tho. both clipless and platform pedals have advantages/disadvantages (just check out the all mountain forum on mtbr, theres a new argument every week on whether one should ride clips, flats, both, no pedals...).

i just made the switch because i'm not looking to race, and am always the caboose on rides (if i'm in a group), so i dont mind that flats might make me slower. one thing for me about clipless is i have a harder time mentally committing to doing techy stuff with my feet locked in. so for now, i've gone back to flats so there's one less excuse to commit.

maybe i'll go back to clips, or start changing it up depending on where i'm riding - who knows... either way, dont be afraid to stick with flats if you dont like clips.

but if you haven't tried them, go for it.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
The 661 filters are a great start. You need a shoe w/ the hard insole cause a plain skate shoe will just wrap around the pedal and you wont be putting that power to the ground. Don't believe the hype just ride your flats. I can smoke 85.38% of these fools with my flats and I will never clip in...........

Top Bottom