Good Location for All mountain riding?

joeschaar

With all the good deals around, I added a Stumpjumper to my garage. I'm new to all mountain riding but have years of experince with XC. I'm looking to grow my "all mountain" skills.
What is the best trail in Northern NJ for this type of riding?
What is the recommendation for someone who wants to learn/practice those skills from a beginner level?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

"slow" Joe

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Technically, XC is all mountain riding but I assume you are looking to rock some downhills harder than on your XC rig and maybe some drops? Since I am totally in the dark about the North, I will say Mahlon based on things I have read.

In central, Baldpate as one pretty sick line but it isnt worth coming just for that....Sourlands has some good technical stuff and it worth the drive if you are say an hour from Hillsborough.

lou_b_83

The New trail in ringwood (Don't know if has a color yet) is great. It is marked by little ground flags the last time I was there.

joeschaar

{I assume you are looking to rock some downhills harder than on your XC rig and maybe some drops?}

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about. A few drops and up rock scrambles or rolling steep rocks. Those are what I'm thinking of.

"Riding the flow" is the phrase that is in my mind.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
All Mountian

Funny this is just like hte overuse of freeride or extream back i the day. But on a serious note what you are describing matches to several parks...Ringwood, Allamuchy Waywa, Sourlands, MD to name a few. Alll you have to do is know someone to show you the specific trails you are looking for. Or, just go out and explore the Parks and find what you are looking for..I think thisis the most fun!

BiknBen

What is the recommendation for someone who wants to learn/practice those skills from a beginner level?

"slow" Joe

Ride all the same stuff you have already been doing but use the brakes less. ;)

The difference between XC and All-Mountain is marketing.

joeschaar

WOW, I SOOO get that. Marketing and fork/shock travel. My new Stumpjumper has 140mm travel and my old Sugar has 90mm. Big change for me.

jjeoak

Sprain Ridge Park in yonkers the most bang for the buck Its small but very technical big and little rollers, skinnies lots of fun to test all your skills

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Hmmm? dammit I fell for someone's marketing bs again!

IMG_0856_1_4_1.jpg

I'll wait for ya at the bottom, ha ha!

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
All mountain...??? Marketing. I can ride any just about any mountain any line on single speed hardtail - more than 3 ft drops suspension preferred. But I think I know where you want to go. Ringwood "new trail" is really fun. There are multiple lines in many places where you can take great rock ridge lines and drop offs or some smooth single track. Blue is great; lots of the same and more, multiple lines with drop offs and big rock rollers. Pretty close to freeride (at least for the East Coast).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trust me, you won't be waiting for ben...

easy does it I was olny joking but really the point is diffrent strokes for some I'm no x/c racer but I like to x/c I'm no dh but I like to dh and my bike allows me to do both. You honestly can't tell me going to plattekill or diablo with a ridged or small squish can be as much fun. Granted climbing hills with a 33lbs. isn't going to get me to the top first but I get there eventually. I am an ALL MOUNTAIN RIDER and proud of it thank you!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes and I raced the series there between '98-'01 and use to laugh at the folks who would show up and struggle with their little xc bikes, all in fun though.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
With all the good deals around, I added a Stumpjumper to my garage. I'm new to all mountain riding but have years of experince with XC. I'm looking to grow my "all mountain" skills.
What is the best trail in Northern NJ for this type of riding?

"slow" Joe

Funny that the stumpy is considered an AM, thought that was usually a 6" bike. The 5-5.5" i thought were marketed as aggressive XC bikes.

Anyways, what is your idea of XC? What park have you ridden and would consider AM? Other than Blue and Sprain there is some pretty bumpy sections of Wawa and Sourlands. Rattlesnake at Wawa has everything you are looking for. As others have said Blue/Sprain are like poster parks for AM riding. But you will benefit from riding any of the major NJ parks. Mooch, Mahlon, Ringwood, and Sourlands has some big stuff too.

Top Bottom