Good Friday ride @ RV

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anyone up for a ride on Friday @ RV? Park opens @ 8am, meet right around that time. Lots of climbing, should be fun.

Kirt

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm almost certainly there, but an hour earlier. Maybe I'll see you on the way back.

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You parking @ the back side?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Green Acres lot, like half a mile from the main gate. I hate the hike-a-bike to start the ride.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've heard that round valley is "the worst park in New Jersey". based on that one statement/review i don't think this is somewhere i'd travel 45 minutes to ride. but hey, maybe you can convince me. carry on. :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This park is not for everyone. Look at Mike's motionbased link from last week:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2356831

That's almost 3300 vertical feet in 15+ miles. If you're really into fast swoopy places like LM and KVSP, this isn't where you want to be. OTOH, great training material. The only thing is, if you're having a bad day it's not a fun place to be. Kinda hard to "tough it out" there.

cem

"the worst park in New Jersey".

Wow that's rough.

I live about 45 minutes and will go at least 2-4 per year.
I always have fun there. It has mix of everything: long climbs, fast descents, some rock gardens and the new section along the fence is super fun up or down.

I don't know it well, but the loop I take is almost all single track. I usually start at the preserve and work my to the main entrance, then back track or take the 4 mile road ride back to lot.

It worth at least one trip there.

Last edited:

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i've heard that round valley is "the worst park in New Jersey". based on that one statement/review i don't think this is somewhere i'd travel 45 minutes to ride. but hey, maybe you can convince me. carry on. :D

You won't know until you try it. It's a good place to test your new found fitness. Probably not a place you would drive to very often but a great place to challenge yourself.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ah, i knew that statement would wake people up. i was really just fishing... at any rate, i'll wait until i ride there to form my own opinion of the place.

hey cem, i forgot you were in wayne. do you venture into lincoln park at all to bike tech?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I rode there a handful of times in the mid-90s but that's it. My memories are pretty vague at this point. How technical is the climbing? My memory is that it was lengthy, but can't recall much else.

ArmyOfNone

I would not say that the climbs were technical. however they were rocky enough (for me at least) that at some points where i was really working hard to keep my front wheel on its line.

There are two or three climbs that are sooo steep. You wonder how people get up there.

The descents are awesome! i think i hit close to 30mph the time i was there.

Reminder to all those who ride w/ Kirt, he is a fawking climbing machine.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey, you said you didn't want to travel 45 minutes to ride there...

PatrickBrown

I rode there a handful of times in the mid-90s but that's it. My memories are pretty vague at this point. How technical is the climbing? My memory is that it was lengthy, but can't recall much else.

I rode RV quite a bit..... and hated it terribly for a while, but after I got hooked up with the right crew of riders(Chris G, Mike Merrit, and chuck chillout) and then took training seriously, I began to love the challenge of RV to the point where I would look forward to when there were races there. I loved the abuse of doing the loop 2 times in sport, and then in expert doing it 3 times..... the climbs are a bear...... I loved it!!!! what a test of your fitness.

as for it being the worst place to ride.... it was definately one of my favorite places to race

dmc123

Norm, is the green acres lot down towards the switchbacks/dam area? I hate what they did with the gravel on the first few miles of trails, I would love to bypass it. A friend of mine from out of the area wants to ride tomorrow or friday afternoon, do you think it will be dry enough there?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Green Acres lot is outside the park about a half mile from the main gate. Personally the gravel is part of the warmup. I think it's crazy to start on a 2 mile climb but everyone is different. I think the park will be a hair on the wet side tomorrow unless you wait until later afternoon. That's my guess though.

Sean,

From the front gate to the far loat and back was 17 miles I think. It's an out and back, not a loop.

ArmyOfNone

What are you doing Friday, Fred?

WOW, I am gasping for air as norm is asking me for my plans. Norm, I have to work till 7a then I'm free. You?

The only reason why I didnt jump all over Kirt's offer was bc the last time we rode I held him up quite a bit. Didnt want to hang him up again.

Kirt

JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WOW, I am gasping for air as norm is asking me for my plans. Norm, I have to work till 7a then I'm free. You?

The only reason why I didnt jump all over Kirt's offer was bc the last time we rode I held him up quite a bit. Didnt want to hang him up again.

Fred,

Who you kidding? With all the training/riding you've been doing it's me that will be chasing you. I need someone to suffer with anyhow.

Kirt

Top Bottom