Good beginner-friendly race coming up on August 13th

wonderturtle

really surprised they never advertise this here but the Woods Hollow Classic race is coming up on Saturday August 13th. It's held at Tatum Park in Middletown (Monmouth County). It is ridiculously perfect for a beginner!

basically ZERO technicality to it. zero. one big hill and maybe one more that may make an ubber beginner walk. very little singletrack so passing is no problem. this is an all ages/ all abilities race if there ever was one. [actually experienced riders will be bored silly by the course]

"training" for this race a few years got me addicted to this stoopid sport so if I can encourage others to get similarly hooked....

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/program1/searchdetails.aspx?ID=17230

Glenlivet12

6 hours? LOL what in the world?

My brother in law did this when be was a kid and had a blast. The 6 hours covers everyone's race, Mtb sport and kids. Plus registration and post race festivities. Everyone probably goes off at different times so it's spread out.

wonderturtle

I dont know what that 6 hour thing is about.

It's a race.

Following are the start times:

8:00 a.m. – Sport Race
9:30 a.m. – Kids Race NEW!!!
9:45 a.m. – Beginner Race ages 20-39
9:48 a.m. – Beginner Race all other ages

only two classes (plus a separate kids race)

Sport Class – 11.4 miles total (three loops)
Beginner Class – 7.8 miles total (two loops)
Kids Race – 1 mile loop (mostly level terrain)

you will not find a more beginner friendly race.

http://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/131/Woods%20Hollow%20Application%202011.pdf

sandbag in this race and youre a complete tool.

Last edited:

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
really surprised they never advertise this here but the Woods Hollow Classic race is coming up on Saturday August 13th. It's held at Tatum Park in Middletown (Monmouth County). It is ridiculously perfect for a beginner!

basically ZERO technicality to it. zero. one big hill and maybe one more that may make an ubber beginner walk. very little singletrack so passing is no problem. this is an all ages/ all abilities race if there ever was one. [actually experienced riders will be bored silly by the course]

"training" for this race a few years got me addicted to this stoopid sport so if I can encourage others to get similarly hooked....

http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/program1/searchdetails.aspx?ID=17230

I usually post this race event up, this is one of those "must do races" For a small course it has a few nice climbs, fast downhills that have a deep sandy turns at the bottom. Some really cool single track too. The start is fast on grass and makes a sharp left, than a right that takes you on to some rolling grass short climbs than into the single track. The sport class will go 11.25 miles or so. This is not a sanctioned race so you may see a few Cat 1's on the start line. The beginner class is excellent for first time racers. I've done this race the last 3 years in a row, I may have to miss it this year b/c of an injury. Using a Cyclocross or SS bike would be pretty cool.

RC

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I grew up right near Tatum Park so I did this race last year to kill two birds with one stone - got to visit my mom and fit in a race on one trip. I raced the sport and there were quite a few Cat 1s there. I raced on my SS and thought I did well because I finished in under an hour. But I was way off the pace of the winner. I think my speed was like 12.5 mph or something and the winner did like 15. It was an easy course but that just meant you had to all out from the start. It was fun. I'm nit used to short races like that so I was I'll-prepared for the pace. I think the to 25 all went sub-1 hour.

antgold

And the ones asking why drive to a rockless-rootless and sandy course bear in mind that nj beach are couple of miles down south!

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
I dont know what that 6 hour thing is about.

It's a race.

Following are the start times:

8:00 a.m. – Sport Race
9:30 a.m. – Kids Race NEW!!!
9:45 a.m. – Beginner Race ages 20-39
9:48 a.m. – Beginner Race all other ages

only two classes (plus a separate kids race)

Sport Class – 11.4 miles total (three loops)
Beginner Class – 7.8 miles total (two loops)
Kids Race – 1 mile loop (mostly level terrain)

you will not find a more beginner friendly race.

http://co.monmouth.nj.us/documents/131/Woods%20Hollow%20Application%202011.pdf

sandbag in this race and youre a complete tool.

hmmmmm :hmmm:

Top Bottom