Good beginner, but fun, loops?

Spylab

My girlfriend wants to go riding with me every so often; no problems there, a little outdoors and exercise is always good. She has pretty bad asthma which she has been seeing a pulmonologist to rectify, but the only safe bet I've taken her on is Sussex Branch. Flat and easy as it may be, the trail bores me to tears, and the whole point-to-point thing makes the return trip a drag.

I took her to Allamuchy Deer Park last wknd for a moderate ride up the fire road, yellow > white > red, around the lake and home, but she had a major asthma attack about halfway through. The steep uphills are what get her, especially in this weather.

I am trying to think of places that will offer a good few miles of biking where we can both have a decent time, but I don't have to worry so much. Northern Jersey preferred, but anyone have some good routes?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i have really bad asthma(flatlined twice from it), and during my asthma season i just flat out don't ride. it's too risky. does she take her inhaler before riding? i usually do. it seems to prevent attacks, unless it's weather that i reeeaally shouldn't be out in anyway. i now take singulair which has managed it better than anything else so far. but, different meds for different triggers.

kittatiny has some easier loop possibilities.

if you park in the a&p parking lot at berkshire valley rd and chamberlain rd in jefferson, then ride about a mile down chamberlain rd, there is a trail off to the left. it's across from windsor dr. take it. it's a four wheeler/dirt bike trail network that runs the length of the valley with very little elevation change. really fun trails too. you can do it as an out and back, or ride down the rough paved rd a bit and take some other trails, then cross berkshire valley rd(oak ridge rd at that point) and ride the trails around oak ridge resevoir, which also have very limited elevation change.

K

klutch

i have really bad asthma(flatlined twice from it), and during my asthma season i just flat out don't ride. it's too risky. does she take her inhaler before riding? i usually do. it seems to prevent attacks, unless it's weather that i reeeaally shouldn't be out in anyway. i now take singulair which has managed it better than anything else so far. but, different meds for different triggers.

kittatiny has some easier loop possibilities.

if you park in the a&p parking lot at berkshire valley rd and chamberlain rd in jefferson, then ride about a mile down chamberlain rd, there is a trail off to the left. it's across from windsor dr. take it. it's a four wheeler/dirt bike trail network that runs the length of the valley with very little elevation change. really fun trails too. you can do it as an out and back, or ride down the rough paved rd a bit and take some other trails, then cross berkshire valley rd(oak ridge rd at that point) and ride the trails around oak ridge resevoir, which also have very limited elevation change.

Hey I lived on Windsor Dr. fora few years and also on Pecan Lane off Cozy Lake by Ding Dong. I went to JTHS, did you? What's your name?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
How about Lewis Morris & Patriots' Path? I am sure you can make nice easy loop there with not a lot of climbing.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
check out the Tourne in Boonton

this is usually the first place I ride in early spring to begin the long process of burning off the winter blubber and my cardio fitness-level is poo (tuned for snowboarding not biking).

its fun, beginner friendly and not as many climbs as Lewis Morris.

If you're looking for easier flat routes, there's Patriots Path as was already mentioned but you also might want to consider the rail trails around NJ. there are many: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rails_to_trails_NJ

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
A little further south...

...but just about perfect for what you describe is Clayton Park in Upper Freehold Township. It's small and can get boring if you're hammering and cover the place quickly, but it's all buffed singletrack with mild elevation changes.

walter

Fourth Party
...but just about perfect for what you describe is Clayton Park in Upper Freehold Township. It's small and can get boring if you're hammering and cover the place quickly, but it's all buffed singletrack with mild elevation changes.

Agree with ChrisG, Clayton is pretty smooth, is pretty well marked and you can make smaller loops if needed.

RyGanley

Tourne is the place

That is actully the first place I rode, There are pleanty of tech parts if you look for them, but normaly you will see a lot of fun single track.

Spylab

Thanks all! I am going to check out all of the above over the summer/fall. And thanks for the detailed route anrothar, it's really good to have my bearings in new terrain. Lord knows I got lost in Allamuchy SP a few times trying to venture back there on my own...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Hey I lived on Windsor Dr. fora few years and also on Pecan Lane off Cozy Lake by Ding Dong. I went to JTHS, did you? What's your name?

sean grady. i grew up on longwood lake rd, was sent to pope dope though. mrs zapille(windsor dr) was my english teacher. i worked at the ding dong when i was 16.

K

klutch

sean grady. i grew up on longwood lake rd, was sent to pope dope though. mrs zapille(windsor dr) was my english teacher. i worked at the ding dong when i was 16.

my last name is Zoppa do you know any of my brothers or sister? Longwood Lake huh tell the truth the yacht club was your regular hang out. But on Longwood I knew the Campbell's,Majegoric's,Minahan's,Shallop's.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i grew up three houses down from the megjugoracs. i hung out with them when i was little, but my sister siobhan hung out with kim and occasionally nick all through high school. i don't recognize the name zoppa. i tended to gravitate towards the dirtbag side of the spectrum as a kid and mostly hung out with riley, akers and that bunch. which means i had a hand in burnin down the yacht club sign several times. not too proud of that now.

Last edited:
K

klutch

i grew up three houses down from the megjugoracs. i hung out with them when i was little, but my sister siobhan hung out with kim and occasionally nick all through high school. i don't recognize the name zoppa. i tended to gravitate towards the dirtbag side of the spectrum as a kid and mostly hung out with riley, akers and that bunch. which means i had a hand in burnin down the yacht club sign several times. not too proud of that now.

my brothers are brian and mark and my sister is jackie. but I know akers he hung out with brian mostly partied together...

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
I am trying to think of places that will offer a good few miles of biking where we can both have a decent time, but I don't have to worry so much. Northern Jersey preferred, but anyone have some good routes?

I bring my beginner 10 year old nephew on a ride at Kittatinny that involves limited hills. The ride ends up being 8 miles or so -- it hits all of the lower trails and part of the loop by Route 206. Some slight climbing is required, but not too much. He walks some of it.

If you want a more detailed explanation of the usual stuff I hit, PM me.

N

NMBPmike

easing Asthma,

I too suffer from asthma. I have been riding with it for over 5 years now, i am taking Singulair tablets and albuterol pump spray, i usually take the pills at night since it does make me tired, and before strenuious activity i take 2 puffs of my inhaler. I ride regualry Monmouth county Parks and allaire with Gt2Brew.
some of the easier trails at allaire like the orange trail to the fire roads i think you will finid easier. and in keyport (central NJ) you can take the Henry hudson trail for over 9 miles from keyport to sandy hook or the New North east extension from Marlboro to freehold thats about 15 miles. check it out here.
http://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/parks/henry_hudson.asp

Some good stops along the pathway, overlooks of the raritan bay and sandy hook, oh and Ritas ices in Middletown is a great ride stop for a quick cool down refresher on a hot day.

Hope this help tell the misses to take it easy and try not to think of it while riding, just get out and enjoy the day.

later

NMBPmike

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom