Going 1 by 11... gear ratio help needed!

phillychris498

I've decided to go with what seems to be popular and switch to XT one by. Not sure which combination of front/rear gearing to go with though... I was thinking 32 in the front with an 11-42 in the back sounds good, but I was wondering if any other XC riders/racers use different ratios? Give me your wisdom!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's about optimal and what I would go with if I had an 11 speed. I ride a 32 x 11-36 and lack some granny, but I'm looking to go 30 in the front soon to rectify that. It's rare if ever I use the smallest cog anyway, so I don't care much about the low end. Even with my setup, there isn't really much I can't climb, it just hurts more. With your 42 rear, a 32 front should be perfect.

mwlikesbikes

I did this on my 29er ht at the beginning of the year. XT 32t ring with 11-42 cassette. I like this setup alot. If I was more of a masher I'd go with a 34 ring.

JDurk

Have 32t round ring x 10-42 SRAM on FS bike and 34t oval ring x 11-42 Shimano XT on HT. Plenty of gearing for where I ride.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
thats my everything gearing, 32x42 is enough to sit and climb anything. i would be afraid to go with a 34, i dont think it is necessary. i've never hit 32x11 on singletrack, hell hardly ever on flat road either.

for something like a trigger bike, i would run a 30 just because IDGAF about going fast on flat fire roads.

phillychris498

thats my everything gearing, 32x42 is enough to sit and climb anything. i would be afraid to go with a 34, i dont think it is necessary. i've never hit 32x11 on singletrack, hell hardly ever on flat road either.

for something like a trigger bike, i would run a 30 just because IDGAF about going fast on flat fire roads.
sweet, going with 32 in the front, thanks pearl

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I ride 1x9 still and have a 32 in the front. Wish I had a 30 instead, though I guess your biggest cog in your cassette would be bigger than mine.

mustclime

I ride a fat bike, In the winter I ride a 26-11x42 10 speed for snow. In the summer I tried to ride a 30-11x42 but with all the climbing I do it was killing me sssssso now I ride a 28x42....old and fat ftl:(

EJphotos

I have a 32t chain ring with 11-42 cassette...since my legs have gotten stronger, thinking of going with a 34t, I want to go more fastererer

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Even at places like Allaire where you have some straight speed runs, the 32 tooth is just fine.

32x11 @ 90RPM = 22.5mph
32x11 @ 100RPM = 25mph

How often are you doing 25mph for that you would need a bigger front ring? Even doing a longer stretch of rolling roads I never wanted/needed more gear.

I'd rather have the smaller ring to have more climbing gear :)

EJphotos

Even at places like Allaire where you have some straight speed runs, the 32 tooth is just fine.

32x11 @ 90RPM = 22.5mph
32x11 @ 100RPM = 25mph

How often are you doing 25mph for that you would need a bigger front ring? Even doing a longer stretch of rolling roads I never wanted/needed more gear.

I'd rather have the smaller ring to have more climbing gear :)

On climbs at Allaire, I've gotten stronger and better at, not needing to go to the 42t cog.
I've maxed out on the rail trail by me that I ride a lot. And that rail trail is flat lol.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
you are free to run whatever front chain ring you would like, but how long do you average 22mph on the rail trail for?

EJphotos

you are free to run whatever front chain ring you would like, but how long do you average 22mph on the rail trail for?

All day every day. Kidding, haha.

Since it's straight and flat, I like to hit speed with less RPM's - sure I can do 22 mph at 90 RPMS with my 32t, but I'd feel like a hamster in a wheel that's spinning too fast lol.

Top Bottom