Gloworm Light Experiences?

Molasses

Starting to embrace that if I really want to continue biking in the dark season with all of the Family commitments (swim meets, practices etc...) I probably need to buck-up and get some lights. Gloworm seems to be decent (X2 Handle Bar light at 1800 Lumens paired with an X1 at 800 Lumens) for about $500.

Anyone have experience with this brand? Am I over-shooting with the output? I imagine I would be riding mostly solo and the riding the Canal Path first to get beyond the "willies" and then moving up to singletrack (I work in PA, in a few places night riding is permitted, and would be probably hitting small "self contained" parks first like Evansburg if anyone is familiar).

I have been riding for years but never really got into night riding so any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
The evil REI has a 25% off sale right now, so it it were my money I'd go get a Lumina 750 for the bar and Pro 1200 for the lid. Two good lights and save yourself a whole lot of scratch.

Molasses

Checking out the rei sale- is the 750 enough for the bar with the 1200 helmet? For the price I am looking at the 2200 potentially for the bar. That has to be overkill but is it nice having at that sale price. Total newbie here...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Checking out the rei sale- is the 750 enough for the bar with the 1200 helmet? For the price I am looking at the 2200 potentially for the bar. That has to be overkill but is it nice having at that sale price. Total newbie here...

as long as it has a low/med/high setting to adjust for brightness and battery life. my 3600 will eat a battery in less than an hour, but goes 2+ in low.
they are oem battery packs tho - need to make one of those water bottle set-ups.

I Ride Bikes

I always suggest getting the brightest light you can afford. That way if its overkill you can run it on a lower, setting increasing your run time. If you buy a light that always needs to be run on high, the runtimes are sometimes fairly short. I can't see ever having too much light in the middle of the woods at night, especially solo.

Also, I don't know if there are really any crappy lights now if they are made by a named brand. I think all of them will do the job. Maybe just research any reviews to see what the actual output of the light is compared to the claimed. Mtbr has a decent amount of lights that were tested.

alex_k

Gloworm is excellent light. I'd never buy a light with integrated battery for winter unless for very short rides. Their capacity goes down very fast in low 30s. I keep my battery inside of plastic bag and warm sock and can ride up to 3 hours in cold winter nights.

rick81721

Lothar
I always suggest getting the brightest light you can afford. That way if its overkill you can run it on a lower, setting increasing your run time. If you buy a light that always needs to be run on high, the runtimes are sometimes fairly short. I can't see ever having too much light in the middle of the woods at night, especially solo.

Also, I don't know if there are really any crappy lights now if they are made by a named brand. I think all of them will do the job. Maybe just research any reviews to see what the actual output of the light is compared to the claimed. Mtbr has a decent amount of lights that were tested.

Yeah I have a Dinotte XML3 that's rated at 1600 (I think it tests more like 1800). It'll last 3-4 hours on high, 5-6 on med and 7-8 on low (which is still bright enough)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

Nite Rider was my first light. I also ride with some guys who do a Lumina on the bar and another on the helmet. If you could step up to the 2200 though, you may not even need too much of a bar light. The Nite Riders throw a good pattern.

As far as having an integrated battery, I've never had an issue running 2.5-3hrs in the cold, even back in the days of the big-ass nickel-metal water bottle mount batteries.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Starting to embrace that if I really want to continue biking in the dark season with all of the Family commitments (swim meets, practices etc...) I probably need to buck-up and get some lights. Gloworm seems to be decent (X2 Handle Bar light at 1800 Lumens paired with an X1 at 800 Lumens) for about $500.

Anyone have experience with this brand? Am I over-shooting with the output? I imagine I would be riding mostly solo and the riding the Canal Path first to get beyond the "willies" and then moving up to singletrack (I work in PA, in a few places night riding is permitted, and would be probably hitting small "self contained" parks first like Evansburg if anyone is familiar).

I have been riding for years but never really got into night riding so any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Swim meets! I thought I was the only one suffering through those... (Had one today as a matter of fact). I ride with two L&M Seca 2000s I keep one on low and one on medium ..... Unless I'm descending.... Then those babies are on high, and it's like the midday sun.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
SVY by chance? ;-)

Nope, RVYM. We went up against HCY today. I have 3 boys, two swim year round both do riptide in the winter and willows in the summer. The older one also swims varsity in NBTHS. The third wrestles varsity at NBTHS and does marching band (drums)..... doesn't cut in to riding time too much.... (Sarcasm).

Top Bottom