GFBD Dec. 3, 2022

sandman

I will lead a ride at Brendan T Byrne.
7186730187_d72ddca8a2_o-1-scaled.jpg
7186730187_d72ddca8a2_o-1-scaled.jpg

sandman

Just rode the GFBD ride. 24 miles. It will be a good workout. We will ride the maze. Pomeroy crossroads, the pit, and the bogs. We will not have any strava segments. We will go through White Pines, Cedar swamps, but no beach.

pibbles

Just rode the GFBD ride. 24 miles. It will be a good workout. We will ride the maze. Pomeroy crossroads, the pit, and the bogs. We will not have any strava segments. We will go through White Pines, Cedar swamps, but no beach.
Cant make it this year gotta work Saturdays and had to use all my sick days this year....

tankhead

Where is the office lot? Tried google maps nothing comes up. I’ve be there a few times and park on the east side at pakim pond picnic area. Thanks

tankhead

Just looked at the picture and am assuming that is the office lot. I guess I’ll drive around and find it.

tankhead

I had to research Pomeroy crossroads: from njpinesbarrens.com

“A month or so slipped by without any further clues as to what this place was. I had nearly forgotten about it until I bought a copy of Chaseworld – Foxhunting and Storytelling in New Jersey’s Pine Barrens by Mary Hufford. Finally, I was able to get some information on who Pomeroy was and why there is a marker for him in the Pine Barrens!The sport of foxhunting, which normally draws images of hounds crashing across the fields of England, is alive and well in the Pine Barrens, where it has developed it’s own unique identity. Instead of men on horseback, pickup trucks are used. Instead of shouts and yells between hunters, a CB radio keeps them all together. Donald Pomeroy was one of those hunters. In 1985, right before the opening of deer season, he lost control of his pickup truck and crashed into a tree. The New Jersey Sporting Dogs Association placed the marker there in memory of Donald Pomeroy, who had been a well respected member of the foxhunting community.”

The history within the pines.. so fascinating

sandman

2nd chance to do the GFBD ride. This Saturday 12/17, 9am, from the office of Brendan T Byrne.

Top Bottom