Getting to Know You...Question #7...

gtluke

The Moped
they are building a gravel path near me, maybe that's their excuse for a bike path. I have also found new-ish stakes in the ground with orange flags that are marked "trail" in a section adjacent to south mountain owned by west orange I believe. I was actually trying to build a path in this no-man's-land but about half way in i could not continue due to the terrain. i can't think of a way to make it passable at all. its marshy /tall grass lumps / huge rocks/logs buried in the grass. and i can't find a way around it (yet)

F

frankinnj

Skyline Drive. This was where I rode my very first time. Cannonball trail to be exact. When I first started riding I could not keep up with the guys who got me into the sport so I spent many months riding alone at skyline drive. I wanted to get good enough to keep up with the pack. I shed alot of sweat and blood on those trails and maybe that is why it holds a special place in my heart. In my opinion it has plenty of everything, technical, climbs, there are always logs to go over and people to ride with.

MST.ESQ

I would say Lewis Morris. It is not as technical as Chimney Rock or Deer Park/Allamuchy, or have the flow of Allaire, etc... but two laps on the Yellow (sometimes take red to green and back to yellow) trail is one fun workout.

Glancing Aft

Ringwood
1) Because I grew up with a trailhead right next to my house and before I knew what mountain biking was I was taking my huffy back on those trails.
2) Even to this day I probably have not ridden every trail in the park, it's huge in entirety.
3) There are lines that I still can't clear and that will always challenge me.
4) Because when you ride there midweek you will not see a soul and have the entire park to yourself.
5) Because it's fun

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Do secret spots count? If so, I like this joint. BTW, thats what happens to a frame and fork when you case a 15' dub.

Attachments

• zzz (2).jpg
    zzz (2).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 49

don

FFT - yeah, he'd better call his lawyer for that case, har har... That looks like an old Marz with canti studs and QR so it might be a good idea that he swaps it out anyway. I little bike toss and run/slide down the landing might be the way to do it in the future.

How's that place running? Is that a current pic or from last spring?

MTBTyler

Out of the 4 places I have been to I like 6 mile the best. 6 mile realy doesnt have the best terrain compared to CR or heartshorn. But with all the love of TM, its made this place the best. Ive come to realize that its not the area that makes a trail good, its the effort that makes it great.:D

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
How's that place running? Is that a current pic or from last spring?

IDK, tore a tendon in my hand and am waiting til Jan to get it stiched - been buzy at work as well. Last time I rode I came up short and home plated the landing, gonna have to get my head straight and my shovel dirty.:(

Last edited:

Awdrifter13

back in the day favorite was sourlands, but now that i have a job and bills:mad: and took 10 years off i enjoy 6mile the most:D

f2f4

Diablo is by far my favorite.

For stuff where I don't have to drive 2+ hrs, I'd say Allaire (nice combination of everything from XC to jump pits) and Six Mile (AWESOME flowy singletrack).

don

IDK, tore a tendon in my hand and am waiting til Jan to get it stiched - been buzy at work as well. Last time I rode I came up short and home plated the landing, gonna have to get my head straight and my shovel dirty.:(

Ahhh bummer. Real sorry to hear that. Hope the recovery time after you get it stiched isn't too long - like you said need to get the shovel dirty.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
my favorite places are anywhere I am riding at that time...:) I have not rode anywhere I can say I hate..
I am more of an allaire rider because it is so close but it's all good...

kush

Wawa like Ryan showed it, has to be tops even though I've been there only once

Round Valley for climbs and rocks

Ringwood, only been there once, but liked it a lot

Baldpate because its a smaller close to home version of stuff up north

I know I can't say Blue but i will because i'm such a maverick :D

where I haven't been but will like I'm sure - allamuchy, sourlands, LM, MD, Hartshorn, probly some others. CR only once in the rain.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Hartshorne & Huber. I've ridden there more than anywhere else, and have learned the most about riding there, though Allaire is really catching up in the last three seasons.

I need to ride north of the bridge more, is what this also indicates. To me, the "real" places to ride in NJ are Allamuchy, MD, Ringwood, etc. Unfortunately, I very rarely have ridden these w/o a number on the front of my bike, so none has gotten the chance to become a genuine "favorite".

wonderturtle

Hartshorne. ride there every weekend.

at my level - it is still a challenge. It is "technical" for me and the hills give me a good work out. it has everything. uphills, downhills, single track, fire roads.

and its close. and that is a big plus.

first rode there almost 20 years ago...and that was on a BMX bike.

Huber...not so much...Huber is Hartshorne's weaker/ smaller little sister. plus, it has a lot more annoying sand pits.

I have to check out Allaire!!! - last time I rode there was about 15 years ago and it sucked. clearly the place has changed a lot since then!!

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

NJ Ride

What is your favorite place to ride in NJ and why?

Let's not debate which one is best. Just explain why you like your choice.

Blue Mountain is not allowed. That is in NY. :rolleyes:

Muy favorite roads in NJ are:
Drew Mountain
High Point
and all others around Mountain Creek.

Top Bottom