Getting to Know You...Question #7...

G

Greenman

Ringwood, it's where I cut my mountain bike teeth. It is also less then 10 min away :) So many fond memories of good times there I couldn't think of no other place.

xc62701

Here's my list in decreasing order of fun(of the parks I usually ride):

Allamuchy
Wawayanda
Ringwood/Skyline
Mahlon Dickerson
Hartshorne
Kittatinny
Jungle Habitat
Chimney Rock
Tourne
Lewis Morris
Allaire

It's kinda hard to really put them into order. I know my favorite and I know my least favorite(but still lots of fun) and the rest are really close. Can you guess what type of riding I like? :hmmm:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Can you guess what type of riding I like? :hmmm:

Pounding yourself into oblivion?

I need to throw the gears on the SIR9 and get to some other places (every time I go to a new place w/the SS I end up in pain...there have been no exceptions to this)...I'm too sheltered.

Stocky

Mahlon , because I've ridden it every Sunday since I started riding this past April . Sometime I've manged to get there twice a week.

I'll expand my horizons some day , but until then it's Cascade,The Wall
(re- route) , Devils Satircase and Stone Gate for me .:D

xc62701

I get waaaay too bored doing the same trails. I need to roam and see different stuff or I'll go nuts!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's close between Hartshorne, 6-mile, and Chimney Rock. Maybe a slight nod to "The Rock" because it's my home stompin' grounds and I've donated countless pints of blood, bone fragments, and bike parts to her throughout the years:D

-Jim.

gtluke

The Moped
Lately I've really been enjoying local riding by me. Probably because it's fun without any real killer climbs. Nice flowing sections, and plenty of fun technical sections. There are still tons of sections and obstacles I can't make yet, so it keeps me wanting to go back.
Plus i don't have to drive anywhere. But there are no trail maps but I have my GPS

Last edited:

Eileen

Ringwood!!!!

It's where I first started riding and it's close to me. I love to ride rock and there is plenty of it! I like technical trails that I can't make it all the way through (if that makes any sense) Since I ride there often there are parts that I cleared this year, but there is still lots to challenge myself.

It's also where I do most of my TM. It's awesome to work on a trail and see other people out enjoying it too.

ArmyOfNone

I love six mile, it is first closest to my heart as that is where i got my start.

My favorite place to ride is ringwood. When I ride there i find it hard to describe in words how much fun I have there.

Next would have to be allamuchy, i have ridden there only a handful of times but I certainly have a fond affection for this park.

Chimney rock is the park that I love to hate. I dont think you will find as many places that can be as unforgiving. Like Jim said earlier, I have scars that will forever remind me of its toughness.

Spylab

I debated it, and unfortunately I have to give two answers as they are exceptionally different.

MAHLON DICKERSON. It's great because during the summer it's the one place I can get to after work and not get slammed by traffic, so I can put an honest ride in before dusk. My 'normal route' seems to be the road less traveled - park in the picnic area, go up to Headley Overlook, down the yellow to Stone Gate, then a nice cool down pedal up to the pond, cut right before the pond and wind up back at the car, followed by a quick jaunt around Cascade or the little loop - which usually means it's me and the iPod. Great cardio, great trails, good stuff to look at in spots, and I can put in a decent ride without backtracking or doubling on trails.

DIABLO. I have ridden here for the past few years, and I am not out to impress anyone and say that I am the guy flying off every jump. I keep a quick pace and love the technical stuff, but have yet to feel like I am 'better' than any trail on the mountain. It's become a tradition for my crew to stop at the Arby's on 23 in Franklin on the way home, and it's always kind of a celebration that everyone made it through the day alright. I am fortunate to have a facility like that less than an hour from home, and though the management is a little on the shakey side I hope that Diablo Freeride Park prospers and continues to keep me on my toes.

Mare

How can I choose just one? I love Hartshorne because it's relatively close and I always have an awesome ride there (and can stop at the Whole Foods buffet on the way home). Clayton and Allaire are fast and flowy. Kittatiny if the right mix of everything to me. I used to hate Ringwood and JH, until I raced there... each place teaches me some new skill and each gives me a different type of a workout.

I very much prefer hills over flat terrain because they make me stronger. I need to improve my technical skills, so I am all for riding up north more these days.

sixseven

1. Diablo. Learn something new each time, fast fast fast. It's all new to me still and I really like the variety of terrain, and that its all downhill. It will cure my fear of heights soon enough.

2. 6 Mile. Even if I get lost sometimes, the twisties are a blast. Its a nice loop, and feels like its far from the rest of the world even though its relatively local to me.

3. Highbridge Park. Yeah its in the city and thats the charm. I don't ride it nearly enough as is possible but the times I have it was most memorable. This is probably the most unique xc/dh trail network around and if you haven't checked it out it is worth the trip.

4. Rutgers Eco Preserve. A good local loop that I can bike to easily.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
South Mountain, too bad its not legal anymore.:mad:

Allamuchy would be next.

Chimney Rock & 6 mile just because they are close and I ride them constantly.

gtluke

The Moped
I've ridden through south mountain a few times this year since its IN my town and I know the trails from when I was younger and it was legal. The singletrack trails are HORRENDOUS, nobody is taking care of this place! there are tree's down almost ever 100 feet. I started building up some of the tree's so you can cross them without getting off your bike, but on like the 5th tree in a mile I gave up. Just too many. In all the hours I spent in there I didn't see a single person. Nobody. And it was a stellar day out.
South Mountain has for the most part been abandoned.
Unless you are 60 and like to walk on the gravel fire roads, those I'm sure are still fine.

BiknBen

South Mountain has for the most part been abandoned.

Memories....Parking behind the McDs across from the Ice Rink.
I rode there 15 years ago or so. I never thought that much of the place. Oh well. If I lived there...I'd ride there too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the recent IMBA newletter specifically mentioned south mountain...so maybe things are moving along well? who knows.

Top Bottom