Getting to know you??? Question #4...

D

DANSPANK

Oh and I like the satisfying burn in my legs after a full day in the saddle.

walter

Fourth Party
Oh and I like the satisfying burn in my legs after a full day in the saddle.

Hey Daniel, you had a post here some time ago about what riding meant to you. I tried finding it last night but the archive only goes back 500 posts.

I remember you got a lot of praise for it.

RNG1

I originally rode for the same reason that most kids did, that it was the only way to really get around. Of course when I was a senior in high school and got my first street bike and klunker car the pedals went into the garage for many years until I was in Boston and was hanging with a buddy and saw a real mountain bike for the first time. (rigid)I remember saying let me ride that thing and flew down the street jumping off every curb and bump I could find and felt that "kid" feeling again. When I got back home I immediately went to a bike shop and bought my first mountain bike and then shortly after found people to ride and race with. Then after marriage and kids I was off the pedals for a good 10-12 years except for some strolling around. Last year however was a brutal year for me for a bunch of reasons and I started riding again for the simple reason that it was a lot cheaper than therapy. (Although after a carbon mtn and road bike I'm not sure if that is really true). Now with most of that bad news in the past I can say that I ride for the simple reason that I just really love everything about it, the simplicity of moving yourself with nothing else but your own power, being in the woods where you feel part of the earth (even when not crashing), and getting out on the road when you know most people in your time zone is still in bed sleeping and all is quiet and peaceful. Moments like these make it easy to feel like I am a lucky man for a lot of reasons.

Panhead

"Today, it's the only place in my life where I am free to think about nothing else and nobody else. Taking the next breath. Breaking a seemingly simple movement into all the little muscle groups that make it up and singularly focusing, working and developing them one by one.

I find solace and solitude.

It's the place where I realize fully that in all things, I am limited only by the limits I put on myself and every day I have the opportunity to tear down my boundaries and move beyond them."

THIS is the true center of the universe. When you are one with nature you don't have to think or react you just do.

kush

Top 10 reasons why I ride

10. I like to use the word knobbies in a sentence

9. The big sprocket imprint on my calf looks just like a cool tattoo, and I crave more

8. The wildlife is somewhat entertaining

7. I get to buy and play with shiny things

6. Chicks dig scars

5. Getting on a podium is a really cool icebreaker for my next bicycle messenger job interview

4. Being a "cyclist" the French will dislike you slightly less than other Americans (stolen from letterman)

3. Possibility of spotting man without pants in woods is strangely fascinating.

2. "Lactate threshold" is not solely reserved pregnant women anymore

1. Where else can grown men get away with wearing skin-tight bicycle shorts with matching colorful jerseys?

BiknBen

I remember the first day I rode a bike by myself. It was a weekday in the summer of '77. I was 5yo. A friend down the street, a year older than me, was riding in his driveway. I watched him and just figured it out. I immediately rode home, with his bike, and showed my mom. The reward of doing something new and figuring it out on my own was so rewarding. My most memorable rides are the ones that bring that feeling back.

So I was back home going through photo albums recently. I stand corrected. It was December of '77.

firstRideSmall.jpg

I didn't know this photo existed. I turned the page and saw it and just had to take a moment. Awesome!

Last edited:

wonderturtle

lots of reasons.

* it's the only form of exercise I like. cant do the gym thing. knees cant handle running. so cycling is the only way for me. I'm in my mid-30s so I have to do something to keep my gut in check, keep blood pressure down, etc. etc.

* plus I LOVE it!!!!

...on weekends I ride with my brother - love the "bro-bonding"

...riding alone I love the solitude, time to think, the "time-out" from the responsiblities of family, career, etc.

...love getting stronger on the bike and getting in better shape.

...love the outdoors

...love the "burn"

...love going UPHILL.

...I love the fact that I start to tweak if I havent had the chance to ride in a couple days - "I gotta get a ride in!!!!!"

outside of family, friends, career and Rutgers football (Go Knights!)...its one of the most important parts of my life.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

You know why. I(we) don't need to explain

OK, well race. My daughter has Type-1 diabetes and racing keeps her stoked to stay fit and active. Bike racing is a beautiful sport and I am grateful for the people I have met and races that are available. Amelia is awasre of Team Type-1 and we are fans.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
its the best way to get away from life, and all the worries/problems that go w/ it, just you and the trial, its relaxing, is there anything that can beat the feeling of getting off the bike after a good ride? (besides getting back on it for another one :D)

Top Bottom