Getting to Know You...Question #11...

I've been pretty picky my whole life on bike parts. It has to be a good combination of value, strength, appearance, & functionality. I know it said component but I'm splitting my list by company as I like a few products from each company save ODI and Answer

Chris King - As noted before for the headsets. I love the King hubs on my Sinister. Took a little work to get them to work just right. Not the cheapest item but will last.

Thomson - Easier to list what's wrong with their stem and posts: Nothing

SDG - I have a stock pile of old SDG Ti railed Gran Prix's. But might not even need them as their I-Beam combo is pretty light and comfy.

Profile - Almost a standard in 3 piece chromo cranks. I also really like their hubs. Who else make a 6 speed disk bolt on? Or 20mm non-disc?

Sun - RhinoLite XLs and welded Singletracks for rims. Maybe not as perfect as Mavic but they work great for me. ZuZu pedals keep on finding their way back on my bikes after trying the latest platforms.

Tree - BMX company that makes small but cool products like sprockets, bars ends that thread into the bar and compression bolt

Kenda - Love the Nevagals and SB8's.

ODI Lock-On's - I hate throttle grip and like the ability to change bars easily. Ruffian is my favorite pattern

Answer Pro-Tapers - True 2" rise, good bends, strong, 25.4 or 31.8

Orchid Shoes - Tread pattern works good on platforms. They usually have a brown colorway available for us trail riders.

DaKine - backpack and gloves. These guys made a pack that you could carry a chainsaw with - now that's pretty cool.

some is just a repeat what other have said:

craft baselayers; no explanation req'd

windstopper fabric; in my gore gloves and jacket. This fabric is just amazing, blocks the wind but is still breathable and lightweight/non-bulky.

suspension designs; while I don't have a need for downhill or big-hit bikes, the suspension designs are just cool. I also love the percision involved in the internals of any fork or shock. All the top brands have some truely cool and innovative stuff.

front freewheel cranks; while I don't have my stock trials anymore...front freewheel cranks are one of the coolest things I have ever ridden, you can shift while not pedaling! granted, they have a very limited use.

hydro dics brakes, silky smooth and powerful for years with minimal maintenance.

tubeless tires; ofcourse.

Red Park Spoke Wrench

Geax Sturdy tire and Blade(mtb has been discontinued) so only cross racers can now enjoy the best mud tire

Anything with a campy logo on it

assos winter clothing

oury grips

1. Multitool
2. Patch kit
3. Blackburn Mammoth CF

Can't even begin to tell you how many times these three have saved my ass.

Ben you owned winter shoes!??!! Blasphemy!

C'Mon...I've mentioned that before. I had the Sidi boots but didn't care for them. Not insulated enough although they would be awesome for CX ;). The other options at the time looks like moon boots. This was all in '04-'05 or something.

I guess you could say I drank that punch but spit it out. :D

My bright blue sunglasses :cool:

Got a thorn branch in the face a few years ago so I started riding with shades. Now I can't ride without them (unless I'm riding at night)

Sidi

SIDI SHOES - Besdies some Lake shoes it's the only company that fits my size 16 feet and I have been rockin' the Dominators for over 12 years now

I'm pretty psyched on my garmin 305. I also finally found a helmet that fits my head perfectly. Having a helmet that is too big was such an annoyance for the longest time.

My top would be my Maxxis High Rollers 2.35 UST. They made my ride sOOOOO much better.
Next would be the Sram X9 components. Butter smooth.

Gotta agree with Ben about King headsets...

But the one component I can stare at all day long is the hub...

My personal fave hubs:

Hadley Racing hubs (the insides, in particular... a world unto itself)
Phil Wood cassette hub (too beautiful for words)
Schmidt SON28 Nabendynamo generator hub...(a true work of German engineering genius)

Ahh, someone pour me a glass of cognac, and bring me my hubs to fondle.....

....that, and Brooks saddles, after a nice treatment of Proofide....

BB

Schmidt SON28 Nabendynamo generator hub...(a true work of German engineering genius)

BB

My buddy has his Rivendell's front wheel built around this hub...Real Genius fo sho...

5d0x6tir.jpg

My blue hope hubs and the beautiful ratchet noise they make

Running tubeless/ Stans kit (best change I've ever made)

My camelback. It is astonishing the punishment this thing can take.

Ergon grips. My wrists thank me.

montclairbobbyb said:
Ahh, someone pour me a glass of cognac, and bring me my hubs to fondle.....

I immediately thought of Kevin Bacon with a cassette hub in his hand in Quicksilver. :rofl:

montclairbobbyb said:
....that, and Brooks saddles, after a nice treatment of Proofide....

I have owned three Brooks saddles. I just haven't gotten the love. Two of them are in my spare parts bin. They just don't do it for me. Strange. :hmmm:

Back
Top Bottom