Getting to Know You...Question #10...

BiknBen

I had a 97 ProFlex 757 every week i would walk in to Amber Cycle and hand over my paycheck untill i payed it off.

I'm a former customer of the Amber Cycle location in Wayne. Steve Klienberg packed it in and the shop is now gone. He really used to pimp the ProFlex line.

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
I used to manager Amber after Steve left
ur Ben T joeyP buddy i thought it was u but i could tell from the pics in your profile

Mare

Perfect, Mare!!! I didn't know how to say it but you hit the nail on the head!!

Ha ha! Glad others feel the same way! :)

Cyclopath said:
I rode the fire roads and got bounced until my eyes twirled around in their sockets and I couldn't tell the rocks from the trees.

I remember my first time there too - fire roads were more than enough!! Now I actually will ride the trails with some success. Go figure! Maybe we aren't total idiots after all.

Suhr40

In 1982 I ordered a chrome Mongoose with tuff wheels and dia-compe mx 1000 brakes from Genie Schwinn in Cherry Hill. I paid $252 earned from my paper route and mowing lawns. Within two days of picking it up, my friends and I were getting chased through the Cherry Hill Mall by security guards and building crazy ramps in our yards. The bike was a tank, and I really gave it a beating as I learned to jump and bunnyhop over things. All the moves that would later seem so natural when I started riding a mountain bike, I learned on the mongoose. I started racing BMX, upgraded my equipment and eventually sold the bike. I've still never ridden any bike that I like better than my mongoose.

THATmanMANNY

MONGOOSE BABY! hehe

...2004 Mongoose Wing Comp...

...Mongoose Supergoose... Mongoose Zero-G...

...1995 Mongoose Hilltoper...

...Mongoose Rockadile...

In 1982 I ordered a chrome Mongoose with tuff wheels and dia-compe mx 1000 brakes...I've still never ridden any bike that I like better than my mongoose.

ENOUGH SAID :getsome:

Mongoose was THE bike to have. And more often than not one of the first bikes people ppl bought with their hard earned caaaash mooooneeeey. I am proud of my gooses :D

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
1998 Marin Pine Mountain...

I got this bike from a friend who was moving back to Mexico. Before this I had Schwinn Moab which I mostly rode on the street and around the lake in Ramapo, so it doesn't count. It was this bike that introduced me to real mountain biking.

I remember the first time a buddy took me to the cannonball:eek::eek: (before it was re-routed, and had those eroded water bars or step downs if you will) I couldn't believe people rode their bikes there.

Years later and many endos/crashes/bruises later here I am...

After a few years taking beatings, this bike became my SS and then it became NJXCJustin's ;)

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Mongoose was THE bike to have. And more often than not one of the first bikes people ppl bought with their hard earned caaaash mooooneeeey. I am proud of my gooses :D

And how many people ride mongooses now? ENOUGH SAID :getsome:

Mare

I thought the same thing, but was not about to quote everything like you did. Phew! How long did that take? :)

THATmanMANNY

TONS! I see a bunch on my way to work everyday as I drive through New Brunswick. Hahaha!

ay whatever works for transportation :p

it is the bike people can afford with the cash they sweated for. For me, I washed dishes in the back of my pops restaurant. :drooling:

I will ride the goose just for you kev. Next large group ride I will bring the goose back to life. :getsome:

Sircrashalot

Life changing bike was in summer 1983 when I was racing my Schwinn Scrambler & I had gone through all my BMX mags and written out a component list of the ultimate BMX bike- total build sheet with the best of everything. I lost the list. I came down the steps on Xmas morning and saw the bike sitting there! Torker frame, redline cranks, hutch hubs, MCI neck, Shimano DX pedals, Uni seat...etc. exactly how I had written it down, with a couple of improvements courtesy of Rod at Howell Twp. bicycle world who built it and said it was the most 'rad' bike he had built in a long time. My grandfather had passed away in October & had left some money for me. My parents snagged the list used it to have the bike built as a last gift from Pop-pop. I literally grew up on that bike. Even if I wasnt riding, just hanging around the neighborhood talking, we'd all be on the bikes with the front wheel perpendicular & balancing while we chewed the fat. I still have it. I will always still have it!

The bike that made me less of a random idiot in the woods, though is my 01 Specialized Rockhopper that got me back into riding after too many years. NOthing has ever broken on it despite several trips to Whiteface Mtn. in NY for downhill and one full day at Diablo. It has recently been loaned to my brother in law, and has gotten him into riding as well although painfully for me he has fitted it with road-friendly tires & likes pavement more than trail.

BiknBen

how are you guys doing

i haven't seen joe in years he stoped in my shop once since I left amber is he still riding

You gonna have to help me. Are you Tim?

We're good. I'm riding/racing as much as ever. Joe doesn't race much any more but still rides as much as his schedule allows.

walter

Fourth Party
My first bike I bought with my own money was a Diamond Back Super Viper from Hayes Bike Shop in Sayreville. Loved that bike and beat the crap out of it. My first mountain bike that I bought that showed me the light was a 96 GT Backwoods from Bike N Gear when they still had a store in South River. That bike was my do it all bike until I took it to Planet Bike on 18 and Paul, Barry and Mr Vreeland told me about some riding spots. One trip to Allaire and I was hooked.

Next thing you know I buy a Specialized Stumpy FSR and a Klein Attitude all within 6 months and its been all downhill from there.

I ended up selling the GT to a student at NYU who still emails me to this day that he is still riding the bike.

Last edited:

mfennell

GT Karakoram, purchased from Pete's Cycles in Baltimore back in '94. I was a 210lb slug at the time. The most athletic thing I had done in the previous year was crash my motorcycle roadracing a few times. Broke an elbow one time, took a helicopter ride another. Clearly, it wasn't working out.

Several of my motorcycle racing buddies and I got into bicycles at the same time and one of them worked at a Pete's motorcycle dealership so I got a nice deal. I can still recall - $575.

Not long after I bought the GT, I moved up to NJ for work and met a bunch of random riding nuts who I'm still friends with after all these years.

The frame lives on with a friend of mine.

Eileen

And how many people ride mongooses now? ENOUGH SAID :getsome:

I still actually have mine but it hasn't seen daylight in a couple years now. I don't know if I'll ever actually ride it again, but yet I don't have the heart to get rid of it either. It was the bike that got me hooked.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
one day i thought it would be a good idea to bring my 45pound department store diamond back coil ex to round valley...:cry:

Top Bottom