Getting Tired.

GTCHAMPION1

My kid leaves for college in a few weeks. He picked up a nail in a bad spot. Transition from tread to sidewall. Depending on the day, the plug will leak, or not. Can't have him worrying about this so new tires. He really only needs two, move the new ones up front.

What's the deal on mixing brands?

He will be just outside Boston, so going all season. Recommendations?

2016 Cruze Premier.
No problem of mixing brand of tires, just make sure the speed rate of the tire is the same as the opposite side of the same axle

EJphotos

And make sure they have similar UTQG ratings if you mix brands.
See how much easier it is to just get four new ones lol?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let me regale you with a story of yore.
Back in the before times, cars were heavy and rear wheel drive. You could do almost anything with the tires and things were fine.

Next came the front wheel drives and things were still good, but more complicated. Yes, you could still replace any two tires but sometimes the rears got ignored and became old, dry, and uneven. This was Bad.

Then one fine day a test was done (pretty sure it was tire rack). The test found that new tires on the front and worn but legal tires on the back made cars spin in the wet. If the new tires were on the back, it just understeered. This was deemed preferable as nobody can drive anymore and lawsuits fly like doves at a Prince concert, so New Tires on the Back because the law of the land.

On a front wheel drive, obviously 4 matching skins is preferred but until that test came out, new on the front was the rule. Just make sure the rears are decent.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wow - ok, 4 new it is.
Leaning conti

so i don't rotate the tires on my truck - cause i don't have one of the TPM reset tools.
I don't use 4wd a whole lot unless it is slippery - cause no matter what, there will be a difference in circumference,
either wear or inflation. don't the hubs or differential unlock when not in use? probably a bigger deal on AWD.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow - ok, 4 new it is.
Leaning conti

so i don't rotate the tires on my truck - cause i don't have one of the TPM reset tools.
I don't use 4wd a whole lot unless it is slippery - cause no matter what, there will be a difference in circumference,
either wear or inflation. don't the hubs or differential unlock when not in use? probably a bigger deal on AWD.
You need a tpms relearn to rotate tires? All of my cars have auto detected which corner the sensor is on after <5 min driving at 20mph or more

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I'm glad to see you aren't overthinking this.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You need a tpms relearn to rotate tires? All of my cars have auto detected which corner the sensor is on after <5 min driving at 20mph or more
GM's do, yeah. They only remember where the tire was last. Not that hard to figure out and some have a DIY method to relearn.
Or stop by. I can do it. @Patrick

JDurk

Wow - ok, 4 new it is.
Leaning conti

Over thinks everything, but doesn't rotate tires?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
cheapest TPMS relearn tool is on amazon for $10 - clicked.

another benefit of not rotating tires is that only two wear out at a time....

i mean maybe? i have always replaced in sets of 4 unless for some reason i had a damaged tire and couldnt get 4 at the time. . . just seems like your o nly contact with the ground when driving isnt really worth cheaping out on . . . (tires do age out too, i think its 6 or 7 years when stored properly, less if parked outside all the time)

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
.... no matter what, there will be a difference in circumference,

umm maybe, but its minimal is the tires are replaced together and wearing fairly evenly and of the same brand and size. Yes modern 4wds disconnect at the xfer case typically so fronts and rears are not connected when in 2wd so you shouldnt blow anything up having front and backs be different size as long as you dont forget about the size difference and push the little 4wd button . . . . your car, your gamble, i wouldnt chance it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Now look who is overthinking it... ;)

disconnecting at the transfer case would add parasitic drag.

I read up on the XT5 (Queens primary) - the differential has a twin clutch setup, both front and back.
it knows if the rotation isn't equal and adjusts - just assumes one is slipping.
In touring mode, it doesn't attempt to drive the back wheels at all.
In sport mode it actually detects the different wheel paths and uses torque vectoring to correct for yaw on the outside wheel.

damn. Beats getting out and locking the hubs on the old Warns, then engaging the transfer case with that weird "other handle"

Top Bottom