Getting into Mtn Biking..

A

Ant

What kind of bike would you recommend? Hardtail vs. Full Suspension?

I'm looking into giving mtn biking a real try as a road guy but don't want to spend a lot of money. Thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome.

I probably have about 2000 miles on the road in the past 2 seasons as a bit of a background and I live in Parsippany.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ant said:
What kind of bike would you recommend? Hardtail vs. Full Suspension?

I'm looking into giving mtn biking a real try as a road guy but don't want to spend a lot of money. Thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome.

I probably have about 2000 miles on the road in the past 2 seasons as a bit of a background and I live in Parsippany.

Bout damn time!

Buy my heckler. :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ant,

Don't listen to these dopes. I think before you can take a step you have to answer 2 questions:

1. What kind (and how much) mtb riding do you see yourself doing?

2. What do you want to spend?

Norm

Maurice

Seriously, it depends... If you have the possibility to try both, look into that. Demos maybe?

I ride both and enjoy both equally, but I'd say the initial experience on a full suspension bike will probably be more enjoyable, especially if you end up riding technical trails.

Quality levels being equal, a full-suspension bike will be more expensive and require a bit more maintenance than a hardtail.

Good luck,

Maurice

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
normZurawski said:
Ant,

Listen to these wonderful people, they know what they are talking about.

1. Buy jason's Heckler

2. Enjoy jason' heckler

Norm

I agree 100%!!!!

A

Ant

Ok, thanks guys. I guess when it warms up a bit I will see if any LBS offer demo's and try out a hardtail vs. full suspension. In all honesty, I don't know how much I will mtb so I'd rather not spend a fortune.

Shaggz

A strong 7
haro mary - not sure where you live, but jdog sells 'em at halter's and cycleworks in byram sells 'em too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
not only should you ride full squish, hard tail, and ridjid (singlespeed of course), but don't forget about the 'big 'wheel' revolution that,s going on with the 29ers. they are absolutely worth a look

ArmyOfNone

not only should you ride full squish, hard tail, and ridjid (singlespeed of course), but don't forget about the 'big 'wheel' revolution that,s going on with the 29ers. they are absolutely worth a look

so many choices...i see why i felt so overwhelmed when i bought my first bike. I would love me a 29er tho

I would suggest making your way over to halters cycles and speak to J as someone previously mentioned. Hes gotta Haro Mary (29er SS) and some others that he could let you take for a spin. also we could give you the tour de six mile if youd like.

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Ok, thanks guys. I guess when it warms up a bit I will see if any LBS offer demo's and try out a hardtail vs. full suspension. In all honesty, I don't know how much I will mtb so I'd rather not spend a fortune.

What is your targeted price range? You can get a decent hardtail for cheaper than $1000. The only problem with a hardtail is that it can be uncomfortable on your back & arms in technical parks like Allamuchy & Mahlon on longer rides. (Since I went Full Suspension, my back and arms are a lot less fatigued and I can ride longer.) However, in a park like Lewis Morris or Kittatinny, a hardtail is a great choice.

I would recommend a bike with at least an LX level rear derailleur. LX is approximately the Road Shimano 105 level and it is reliable. You really don't want anything less because it is no fun when your bike is shifting badly in the woods. Mountain biking requires a lot more gear changing and power on demand with some short bursts of power to climb up over things. You definitely want your bike to shift correctly and accurately.

One of my co-workeris is an avid road rider -- I lent him my Giant NRS at the end of the summer to try and he loved it. He was amazed at how peaceful, tranquil & at other times, intense riding in the woods can be.

Me -- I found myself on the opposite end of your situation, I just got a road bike this past season. I bought myself a Giant OCR2 -- not the bottom, but not too expensive either. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. (I just don't care for the cars too much.:) )

Have fun!

Top Bottom