Getting dark earlier & riding

Minotaur

I hope I'm not wrong in assuming that most people here are "9 to 5ers"?

If that's the case that you are, what do you do about your riding now that it's getting darker earlier? As I've mentioned, I like riding the mtb on the road. And while I have a Blackburn front and rear light, it gets dicey riding on the road in the dark... even in the wilds of Tinton Falls, even with the lights (i'd rather ride the NJTP above Exit 11 than take on Shafto Road :scared: ).

Trail riding at night is out of the question, I presume (I'm not that much of an adrenaline junkie). I see myself limited to a quick 35-45 mins. in the evening on the local roads... shorter time reduces the chances of becoming a statistic.

I'd like to get a stationary trainer that I can keep in the garage; I can plug in the laptop or portable dvd player and have at it. Or is there something else you do to keep up with your riding, apart from the weekend daytime rides?

D

DANSPANK

Some people don't like 'em but when it's too dark to even start a road ride in the evenings I switch to spin classes in the gym. I consider them to offer me great interval-type training (not comparable to outdoor intervals though) and I could really tell the difference from my riding last October to my riding in March this year - lots of improvement and a drop of about 15lbs.

It's not for everyone but for me it works. And I get to have a nice steam in the steam room afterwards so double-plus.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the more you ride on the road in the dark, the more accustomed to it you'll become. i commute by bike when i can in the winter.

Minotaur

Some people don't like 'em but when it's too dark to even start a road ride in the evenings I switch to spin classes in the gym.

I did it once when I was a member of the local Y.

At first I was afraid I was going to die... Then I was afraid I wasn't going to die.

It's not for everyone but for me it works. And I get to have a nice steam in the steam room afterwards so double-plus.

I thought being on the floor-mat face down was quite nice too.

:D

Trails at night..

Trails at night are lots of fun if you have good HID's. I prefer the daylight but would rather ride trails at night rather than park it or get on the spinner.

Nimrod

I make an effort to bike commute to work also as the trainer sucks and Spin classes stink.

Family stuff (time) is the main issue. Can't see the "I'll be home 2 or 3 times this week, about 9pm cause I wanna ride my mtb after work" going over well with my wife.

By riding my bike to work, I get about 3 hours of riding in:) 1:10 in the morning and 2 hours at night (long way home). On the days I commute home, takes about an extra 20 / 30 minutes (traffic;) ) = Wife not going to complain about that.

Now its getting tough with the day light. Last week I put the "Blinky" on my bike. Today I used my HID set up (massive overkill) for the first time this year also = I leave at 6am, and its "dicey".

On my backpack I have 4 of those wide yellow reflective strips, then another strip I ran thru the back of my helmet. The cars don't have a problem seeing me:) seriously

As the light gets less and the temp's drop, the MTB gets allot more attention.:D

Minotaur

Good point about the reflective strips. I used to wear a reflective vest when I ran at night and early morning. Time to consider it for biking.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You really do get used to riding at nigght and I am sure in Tinton Falls you can plan a route on roads that aren't super busy. Trail riding at night is scary (if you are by yourself) at first but you get used to it. No reason to ever ride inside!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some people don't like 'em but when it's too dark to even start a road ride in the evenings I switch to spin classes in the gym. I consider them to offer me great interval-type training (not comparable to outdoor intervals though) and I could really tell the difference from my riding last October to my riding in March this year - lots of improvement and a drop of about 15lbs.

i dunno about your sketchy steam room antics, but i also spent A LOT of time on the spin bike this past "off" season. dan is right on in terms of the interval type training which is where i was dead wrong last year. i mistakenly tried to use the spin bike as a pure cardio tool which it isn't, not even in the typical "spin" class. i plan on staying far away from them.

but.....i also don't have the typical 9-5 type job so i'm lucky. if i want to ride @ 10A i can. if i want to ride @ 2P i can. generally speaking, i ride at "lunchtime" though, to keep my away from the phone and computer time to a minimum.

Minotaur

You really do get used to riding at nigght and I am sure in Tinton Falls you can plan a route on roads that aren't super busy.

OK, gonna do it! *pounds fist determinedly*

I can even do what I've been doing all summer... put the bike in the truck and head on down to Long Branch at the promenade/boardwalk road (old Ocean Ave.). I can get 8+ miles doing the beachfront a couple of times. Maybe I'll do that tonight. I love it there.

Trail riding at night is scary (if you are by yourself) at first but you get used to it. No reason to ever ride inside!

Yeah, I'd probably fall and break something, and not be found until I started to smell. :hysterica

ArmyOfNone

Ride outdoors for as long as you can. Last winter we were blessed to be out riding just about every weekend. Unfortunately for us, the trainer is a necessary evil. It sucks a big 'ol one but it will make you stronger for sure. If you wanna keep yourself on your toes while inside, you can pick up a set of rollers. They are a "hoot"

anrothar

entirely thrilled
when commuting i wear a reflective vest, clip a tail light onto my belt, and use a trunk bag with reflective strips on a seatpost rack. wearing a backpack makes me sweat alot more.

D

DANSPANK

I just ventured out for a road ride tonight, first time with lights. Not too bad at all. The weather was perfect! No wind, nice temp, I hit most of the green lights and recorded my fastest home loop! I kicked my own arse by over a minute and a half over my 21.5mile loop! I'm wicked fast!

NJ Jess

Hudson trial

Since you are in Monmouth County,..put your lights on and hit the rail trails. They are a lot safer than the road and it is legal to night ride on them. The also don't have too much wind flow which really stinks in the winter.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
I actually love to road ride at night, I don't do much mtn in the dark. The main thing that made a huge difference in my enjoyment and comfort level of night riding was the addition of a good helmet mounted light. Now I can put light where I'm looking - so much better.

Minotaur

I just ventured out for a road ride tonight, first time with lights. Not too bad at all. The weather was perfect! No wind, nice temp, I hit most of the green lights and recorded my fastest home loop! I kicked my own arse by over a minute and a half over my 21.5mile loop! I'm wicked fast!

Pretty much the same here, though I didn't do anywhere near the mileage you did. I only got about 6+ miles. The weather was nice... calm, a little chilly but working up a sweat took care of that. It wasn't bad at all riding in the dark. The cars I did encounter gave me a wide berth.

Since you are in Monmouth County,..put your lights on and hit the rail trails. They are a lot safer than the road and it is legal to night ride on them. The also don't have too much wind flow which really stinks in the winter.

Good idea about the rail trails. We have the Henry Hudson Trail, for one.

when commuting i wear a reflective vest, clip a tail light onto my belt, and use a trunk bag with reflective strips on a seatpost rack. wearing a backpack makes me sweat alot more.

I'm going to break out my reflective mesh vest I used to wear when running.

BiknBen

...it gets dicey riding on the road in the dark...

I've commuted by bike through winter and often just go for a night ride on the road for the hell of it. You'd be surprised how pleasant riding at night can be. I have bright headlights and blinkies which make me look like a circus on wheels. I've found that drivers give me a lot more room than they do during the day. I suspect it is part curiousity and disbelief.

They key is visability. You need to see and be seen. How much of each depends on where you are riding and the traffic patterns.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Be hardcore and paint your bike matte black, wear all black and cover all exposed skin. You will be a stealth rider. It will just look like a headlight going down the street.

Nimrod

You'd be surprised how pleasant riding at night can be. I have bright headlights and blinkies which make me look like a circus on wheels. I've found that drivers give me a lot more room than they do during the day. I suspect it is part curiousity and disbelief.

You tell'em Ben!

The cars slow down as they approach, and you can almost hear them thinking....."Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the heck":D

Top Bottom