Get Your Vitamin MTB @ Hartshorne & Huber 12/14/08

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Just a quick note of thanks to all who attended this ride. The best part is seeing how 42 people from all over the state can gather for the common purpose of riding together. All I did was post a time and place- it was everyone else who made it so enjoyable, much gratitude to you all.

Special respect to all of my mtbNJ teammates for attending, Mare for organizing things and bringing yummy fudge, Bill for graciously sweeping, and the Dynamic Duo of Brian & Frank for taking the "B" group around Hartshorne while the rest of us lit out for Huber.

Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

don

My 2 cents: It's difficult to split the group up. Splitting would mean that we need enough ride leaders to cover the groups. And even if we did split up, there will still be unhappy hikers. Doing rides on Saturdays and Sundays would be ideal, but that makes it even more difficult to get ride leaders.

This doesn't mean that I don't see your point and that smaller groups are less intimidating, but I am not quite sure how to go about doing this, especially because a lot of folks show up without RSVPing. I never really know the headcount until we are at the park signing in and I certainly don't want to make RSVPing here mandatory because I appreciate the beauty of spontaneity.

On the flip side, look at how many we passed that had smiles and thought it was cool to see us all out there having fun.

Feel free to continue on this topic because if we can improve this stuff, that would be good.

Good points but...

On a ride like last Sunday's, the coolest part as a large group is the pre and post ride BS'ing in the lot not to mention the pre and post ride BS'ing on the forum. I think the in-pack riding feel would have been the same for 10 riders as it was for 42. I was siked to see the Group A and B split but I think Group B had maybe 6 riders so Group A was still pretty hefty.

Some things I thought might make big GTG's even better:

- Not sure what is technically needed to be a guide or sweeper but have requests for some leader/tail-gunners on the pre-ride thread. I personally know Hart and Huber very well and would have been happy to lead or more applicable sweep considering my speed. I also know syadasti who was on the Sunday ride has been riding there since the early 90's and can give a proper tour of the place.

- Make sure when the group is stopped to get to the side of the trail and the group leader to stop in an open area. I wouldn't be too stoked coming around a corner on some tight sniggle to a huge group hanging in the middle of the trail. BTW, I think Chris did a very good job on the stops locations on Sundays ride.

- Make sure everyone knows the proper yeilding. And if it's bike coming on bike, then whoever's going uphill has the right away. I was very impressed by one rider on a climb where I came upon a small group - the first 2 snuck by going down but the third pulled over and let me have plenty of room. If that guy is reading this - many thanks!

- Might be hard to do, but have every 5th person (or another number) be the stop person for other groups going by. If a trail runner/hiker/rider is waiting on the side of the trail, then the 5th person by would pull over along with the people behind, to let the other group go. I doubt there would be any unhappy hikers, runners, (and even other bikers) with that situation.

I am probably over thinking this and as I hardly ride XC trail much anyway probably don't know the "way" it is but... just trying to put myself in another users situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom