Get out and enjoy!!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
The fall is a great time to ride, and the weather lately has been awesome. I'm so glad a bunch of you got out for a ride last weekend. Sounds like a fun time.

Lets get some more rides going! Whether you can lead a ride or have a park you would like to try and need a leader, post up some requests. Racing is winding down, if not done for some of us, and this is a great time to encourage some more ladies to get out on the trails.

I could lead at Ringwood, any level. ......I also know Ramapo, Wawayanda, Mahlon, Blue and Kittatinny.

Mare

I would like to attend more rides, and I can also lead at Clayton, Hartshorne, Lewis Morris, Chimney Rock, or Kittatiny. I am sure there are a few more, but those are the ones I am most familiar with.

antgold

awesome! ...and just thinking I spend last weekend 6 hour driving to Vermont...(BTW -it is a paradise for road biking )

do you have recommendation for family 3 miles hike ?

Ron

Mare

awesome! ...and just thinking I spend last weekend 6 hour driving to Vermont...(BTW -it is a paradise for road biking )

do you have recommendation for family 3 miles hike ?

Ron

hike in what vacinity? local to you? northern NJ?

antgold

I 'm looking for more challenged trail like in the photo (taken last weekend in Vermont ) I believe I can find something similar in Ringwood ...:confused:

Attachments

• PA120080.JPG
    PA120080.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 152

Mare

I 'm looking for more challenged trail like in the photo (taken last weekend in Vermont ) I believe I can find something similar in Ringwood ...:confused:

For rocks that big, I think you have to go to NY :) There are certainly plenty of trails at Ringwood to hike. It's nice there because there's a pretty garden and areas to relax and picnic. Depending on how far you would like to drive, there's varying difficulties at the Water Gap. You will have steeper climbs at the WG.

Oh wait!! There is Point Mountain, a bit north of Clinton. That isn't that far (compared to the others) and it is a nice hike with big rocks. I guarantee you that you will like it! Steeper and rocky climb, that you can do, or go the other way and play on other rocks (depending on what your kids can handle). Nice stream, scenic area....

Last edited:

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could lead RV, High Points or LM, that's about it.......but I'm a great follower, I would love to do more group rides.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We take our kids over to hike at Ralph Stover (High Points). It's got some good rocky climbs. It isn't huge (but it's at least 3 miles) and you definitely won't get lost. It is beautiful though. You can hike down to the river and often see kayakers going by. There are places you can watch people repelling (spelling?). It is right over the border into PA from either Frenchtown or Stockton. Here's a pic from last week.

Last edited:
J

JerseyGirl

Terrace Pond

Has anyone been up to Terrace Pond off Clinton Road in West Milford?? It is a serious 30-45 min hike up to a secret lake/pond that has awesome climbing and hiking. The leaves are starting to fall fast up here but the colors are still beautiful.

ellenserruto

Yes I know it! Many years ago I hiked up to Terrace pond and I thought it was so great. To be honest I forgot all about it. Now I want to go TOMORROW.
Has anyone been up to Terrace Pond off Clinton Road in West Milford?? It is a serious 30-45 min hike up to a secret lake/pond that has awesome climbing and hiking. The leaves are starting to fall fast up here but the colors are still beautiful.

Kmoodymz3

We take our kids over to hike at Ralph Stover (High Points). It's got some good rocky climbs. It isn't huge (but it's at least 3 miles) and you definitely won't get lost. It is beautiful though. You can hike down to the river and often see kayakers going by. There are places you can watch people repelling (spelling?). It is right over the border into PA from either Frenchtown or Stockton. Here's a pic from last week.

For a challenging hike "Breakneck Ridge" is awesome and this is the prefect time of year for it. It is just north of the Bear Mt bridge in NY but worth the drive, beautiful we were there this week.

This is from a NY hiking site:

Total Distance: approximately (3.1, 3.2 or) 5.5 miles
Difficulty: medium - difficult (multiple rock scrambles)
Estimated hiking time: 4+ hours - 2 people, 5 - 6.25 hours - group

Hiking Notes

The hike begins on west side of the road where you will find the Breakneck Ridge Trail (white blazes). This first section of the hike involves 1.5 miles of sometimes difficult climbing and rock scrambling until you reach a 1200 foot crest.

After reaching the crest a red blazed trail (Breakneck By-Pass trail) will intersect from the left, continue straight. A blue blazed trail (the Notch trail) will merge with the white blazed trail we are on. Follow the white (and blue blazed) trail.

Make a left onto an unmarked fire road and a half a mile later make another left onto the Wilkinson Memorial trail (yellow blazes) (the turn onto the Wilkinson Memorial Trail is poorly marked!). In about 1.5 miles you will reach two nice views from atop Sugarloaf Mountain (eat a well deserved lunch here - at the first viewpoint). Continue on this trail until it takes you back to the road and your car.

Alternative (Easier) Route #1 (3.1 miles, under 4 hours): From the Breakneck Ridge Trail (see above), make a left onto the Breakneck Bypass trail (red blazes). At the end of the Breakneck Bypass trail make a left onto the Wilkinson Memorial trail (yellow blazes). Take this trail back to Route 9D and your car (probably a left turn once you get to Route 9D).

Alternative (Easier) Route #2 (3.2 miles, under 4 hours): From the Breakneck Ridge Trail (see above), make a right onto the Notch Trail (blue blazes). Eat lunch at the nameless lake on the left or at the abandoned mill soon afterwards. Where the Notch Trail intersects the Brook Trail (red blazes) take the Brook Trail until the road. Make a right turn on the road and take the road back to your car, just beyond the underpass.

REFERENCES: NY-NJTC Map #102 (East Hudson Trails)

http://www.nycdayhiking.com/breaknec.htm

We've use this trail to train for the Iron Cross race where there is a big climb. Steep but fun and great views!

Kmoodymz3

The fall is a great time to ride, and the weather lately has been awesome. I'm so glad a bunch of you got out for a ride last weekend. Sounds like a fun time.

Lets get some more rides going! Whether you can lead a ride or have a park you would like to try and need a leader, post up some requests. Racing is winding down, if not done for some of us, and this is a great time to encourage some more ladies to get out on the trails.

I could lead at Ringwood, any level. ......I also know Ramapo, Wawayanda, Mahlon, Blue and Kittatinny.

I can lead at Huber, Hartshorne or Allaire. Anyone who wants to ride these parks just let me know. Doing some travel over the next two weeks but as long as the weather is dry I'll ride all winter.

Top Bottom