general info request

T

tyng

Hey. I want to check out Lewis and Morris. I am completely new to MTB, so I just had a few general questions:

1. where is a convenient place to park to access the trail; an address or intersection would be helpful, then I can just gps my way there.

2. i might be going there this Sunday, and the high is 52F, what kinda clothing should i wear?

3. i read about the downhill single track? what's a single track? and what trail is it on (white, red, yellow, etc.)?

4. is LM technical? i went MTB once last summer, and I started at chimney rock...almost damn killed myself

5. anyone riding there on sunday (and willing to have a newbie tag along)? if so, i might be able join ya

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Hey. I want to check out Lewis and Morris. I am completely new to MTB, so I just had a few general questions:

1. where is a convenient place to park to access the trail; an address or intersection would be helpful, then I can just gps my way there.

2. i might be going there this Sunday, and the high is 52F, what kinda clothing should i wear?

3. i read about the downhill single track? what's a single track? and what trail is it on (white, red, yellow, etc.)?

4. is LM technical? i went MTB once last summer, and I started at chimney rock...almost damn killed myself

5. anyone riding there on sunday (and willing to have a newbie tag along)? if so, i might be able join ya

1. for directions, checkaguddy this link out: http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php?f=show&id=11

2. this sunday, it may be a little too wet to ride with all the rain we are having. LM generally drains well, but if you go on sunday, be prepared to limit your ride or turn around to avoid leaving behind ruts/trail damage during muddy conditions. it stinks, but its just that time of year for trail conditions... if it is wet out, you may want to head down to allaire or hartshorne further south. both of these parks drain very well.

3. singletrack is a way to describe a trail, and it generally refers to the width of the trail. from about.com: Singletrack is a term used to describe a trail that is only wide enough for one person or mountain biker at a time. Singletrack is the most popular or sought after type of mountain bike trail. you're right on track - the yellow loop is a great loop to follow.

4. LM isn't technical at all really. the most technical feature you will encounter there would be large sections of exposed roots. but its mainly very smooth and fast.

5. if the conditions look OK, i might do an afternoon ride there on sunday - if i do, i will put up a post in the "rides, races, events" forum. i'm always willing to give a tour - its a real fun spot.

hope that helps!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

shoot - forgot clothing.

generally, as a rule of thumb, i dress as tho it will be 15 to 20 degrees warmer than it is out when i go for a ride. so if it'll be 52 degrees as the high, and you'll be out around that time, i would dress with the thought that it will be 67 to 72 degrees out...

that said, i would probably wear shorts, a long sleeve T, and a short sleeve T over the long sleeve... just to look cooler - as in "hip or groovy".

if it was the morning, when it will be significantly colder - i'd put on a little more, and would be wearing something over the legs as well - like a midweight thermal pantaloons. but i would be layered, because you'll probably end up getting hot as the temps rise. when its colder, i also wear something to stop the wind from going right through me.

T

tyng

thanks for the info, very helpful

hope the condition will be alright and we can hit the trail together

M

mtbjeff

I consistantly overdress and then make everyone stop so I can strip down and try to stuff the receses of my camelback with clothing.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions